Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 05:50:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Spelunker
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Spelunker  (Read 50430 times)
Zeke M.
Level 0

hug hug hug

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2009, 02:54:22 AM »

Having to press S^ twice in quick succession would probably be a real pain, especially for new players.

Hasn't the double-tap entered the VG collective-unconsciousness yet?
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2009, 03:36:22 AM »

There is one major flaw to his move list... You can't hold the jetpack and the cape at the same time!!!

Also, his double-jump could be his jetpack. Just like it is in the game when you have it. It would work just the same, just it wouldn't have as much fuel-per-jump as it does in the game and it also wouldn't burn enemies. Which is just like in the game!

And then the triple-jump would be his rope. How we all want it!

He should also be able to grab onto walls, like in the game, as if he had the climbers gloves..

Also... Double-jump + triple-jump + cape + wall grab = epically overpowered recovery!
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2009, 03:44:54 AM »

There is one major flaw to his move list... You can't hold the jetpack and the cape at the same time!!!

Also, his double-jump could be his jetpack. Just like it is in the game when you have it. It would work just the same, just it wouldn't have as much fuel-per-jump as it does in the game and it also wouldn't burn enemies. Which is just like in the game!

And then the triple-jump would be his rope. How we all want it!

He should also be able to grab onto walls, like in the game, as if he had the climbers gloves..

Also... Double-jump + triple-jump + cape + wall grab = epically overpowered recovery!
Actually I think this guy's got it.
Double jump = Jetpack (hold it down rather than just a boost)
^S = Rope, throw it upwards and it does stuff.
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2009, 03:51:26 AM »

Actually I think this guy's got it.
Double jump = Jetpack (hold it down rather than just a boost)
^S = Rope, throw it upwards and it does stuff.

Woo.

Yeah, "it does stuff". I don't quite know how the rope would work yet, but I'm sure that it's WORTH figuring out.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2009, 04:45:04 AM »

Having to press S^ twice in quick succession would probably be a real pain, especially for new players.

Hasn't the double-tap entered the VG collective-unconsciousness yet?
Double tapping two buttons simultaneously is annoying to me at least.

medieval
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2009, 05:52:14 AM »

How about holding up and double-tapping S?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2009, 06:03:14 AM »

yeah actually I think that would work in the current engine Embarrassed

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2009, 07:22:06 AM »

Here's the thing. While a lot of the suggestions for a rope attack would work, none of them sound more intuitive or fun than the jetpack from a gameplay perspective. The only real advantage to adding a rope attack is that it is a more iconic item.

Indie Brawl's staying power will have more to do with how fun it is than how much nostalgia it induces. So I think it would be preferable to go with the less iconic, but more intuitive and fun attack.

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2009, 10:22:28 AM »

I agree with Soulliard, the rope sounds like it will take away from the action.

I think the jetpack spiking underneath enemies would be better than damage surrounding enemies.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Veo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2009, 10:15:13 AM »

Ok, I took a stab at spelunky. I fused what I liked about boyd's and Godsavant's and changed the stance a little. Made the whip thinner, and reduced the outline a bit. I also wanted to see what you guys thought about the hands.

Top or bottom?

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2009, 04:44:08 PM »

Ok, I took a stab at spelunky. I fused what I liked about boyd's and Godsavant's and changed the stance a little. Made the whip thinner, and reduced the outline a bit. I also wanted to see what you guys thought about the hands.

Top or bottom?
I'm honestly struggling to see a difference...
Veo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2009, 05:28:56 PM »

Top or bottom?
I'm honestly struggling to see a difference...
The only difference between the top and bottom are the hands. They are both after the aforementioned changes. So I guess I should have explained myself better. Though I must say I like the bottom better.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:31:59 PM by Veo » Logged

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2009, 06:35:59 PM »

Nice edit. The stance looks very natural. I edited it a little more, mostly to reduce the color count (it's down to a very manageable 12).

Also, I think it would be best if he didn't have his whip out all the time. He doesn't use it for many attacks, so it will only make animation more difficult.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2009, 08:50:34 PM »

How about this?  14 colors.
godsavant
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2009, 08:57:47 PM »

How about this?  14 colors.

Straight from the source! I love it. Kiss
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2009, 09:07:38 PM »

i dont really like what you did with the main part of the hat. i see what you were going for but it just looks like a gradient

Lo
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2009, 09:12:38 PM »

That's the best one yet! And I'm not just saying that because derek made it himself
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2009, 09:18:13 PM »

Thanks!  I based it on what you guys started.

Feel free to edit it or do anything you like with it (I just tweaked it a little myself).
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2009, 09:51:33 PM »

I liked Veo's version.
Soulliard removed too many colors, made it lose its warm tonality and also gave him eyebrows of doom.

Derek version is good too though.Looks like a mouse.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
godsavant
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2009, 09:58:22 PM »

i dont really like what you did with the main part of the hat. i see what you were going for but it just looks like a gradient

I don't see this; the intermediate shade intersects where the had would dip at 45-degree angle, and the darkest indicates when the hat is perpendicular to the light source. Progressive shading is not synonymous with gradients.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic