Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 10:38:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)livecoding and gamedev
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: livecoding and gamedev  (Read 1226 times)
george
Level 7

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2010, 03:58:51 PM »

I've just recently got into playing around with livecoding (i.e. code reloading and interactive programming) for game development, using Python, pyglet, and a small module called livecoding.

Now I'm aware of many of the livecoding frameworks for graphics and music and so on, and that many game development kits/frameworks support code reloading (of object data, config data, image data, etcetera).

I'm curious if anyone here does this when working directly with game source files (I'm launching the pyglet window then modifying the source files to see the changes in the pyglet window). It's a rather fun way to make a game. Are there any tips/advice to be found on good ways to proceed with livecoding games?
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:17:15 PM »

I'm really interested in this but I have no experience with live coding at all. So, sorry that I cannot give you any tips or advice!

Though, I think that anyone who implement a scripting language into their engine/game would have to have some kind of live coding or a way to reload the script without closing and re-executing the game.

It's nice to know that there's a module to help make live coding possible/easier. I'm not really a big fan of python though but now it seems tempting :D.

EDITED: Wait, actually I may have experienced in live-coding. Does LEGO count?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:22:21 PM by Hima » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic