Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411621 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 03:05:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Homebrew: Creator's Club
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Homebrew: Creator's Club  (Read 10270 times)
Tobasco Panda
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 08:10:12 PM »

I started going through the tutorials for DS homebrew and got a test working, but never got time enough to go further than that.

Excuses are generally lame, but I'll say it is from working too much on a Wii game.  Wink

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 11:51:18 PM »

Make sure you use PAlib, that makes it WAY easier.

Tobasco Panda
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 11:23:17 AM »

Holy smokes! I just looked into that and it looks awesome! That'll save a HUGE amount of time as I was expecting to have to write the tile and sprite engines myself.

I understand all the conceptual parts really well, but I haven't done much programming so that was looking to be a huge hurdle.

I may start up again once my work project calms down a bit. Mind if I shoot you some questions at that point, Hid?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 08:33:35 PM »

Does SNES homebrew exist? The SNES capabilities are still somewhat of a mystery for me.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 08:57:09 PM »

10000 bonus points for anybody who can port  Cave Story to Wii.
Haha, just remembered this.  No bonus points for anybody. You got beaten to the punch.

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 09:24:07 PM »

I've always wanted to make something for the DS, but with the lack of users that can/know how to run homebrew things, it just feels like anything I'd make would end up making for the DS would just not be worth it.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2008, 11:23:17 PM »

I've always wanted to make something for the DS, but with the lack of users that can/know how to run homebrew things, it just feels like anything I'd make would end up making for the DS would just not be worth it.
I'm generally in agreement.  I'd love to make some games for the portable systems, but I think I'll just wait for GM to be ported onto them (as YoYo has openly stated that they want that).  And assuming GM is ported, then I think it would be more mainstream, eg. download/buy the runner from the PSN Store or DSi Ware and put your games on the flash card.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 07:10:59 AM »

Does SNES homebrew exist? The SNES capabilities are still somewhat of a mystery for me.

Only very few, for all I know. It seems the snes is a hell to program for unless you have a good macro assembler.

But, take a look at this.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 12:01:34 PM by ♥! » Logged

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 06:49:22 PM »

Only very few, for all I know. It seems the snes is a hell to program for unless you have a good macro assembler.

But, take a look at [img=http://gra.dforce3000.de/index.html]http://this[/img].
Ah yes I've already seen this one, but it doesn't look like it's really very complex, does it? But it's a start.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2008, 08:25:44 PM »

Well, it's the one and only 8 player snes game. In terms of actul gameplay, I really wouldn't knoew.

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2010, 01:01:33 PM »

Time to cast some quick Necromancy.

Would people be interested in starting this up for real? I am very interested in getting into some systems I've never developed on before, and this seems like a good place to find people interested in learning as well.

How about a monthly programmer challenge? Nothing serious, just something to fold some more wrinkles in your brain. I'll give a quick tutorial on how to setup a system in Windows/Unix/Mac or whatever is available, link some compilers and tutorials, show how to draw backgrounds and sprites, and give some easy game ideas but you can make anything you want. It would be a cool way to try some new ASM languages along with C/C++ compilers, play around with making our own tools, and possibly refine some ideas. Then we can also post when we find cool tricks/methods to use to help out other programmers.

This wouldn't start until either February or March (I've got to finish ma Gamma 4), but I could do the moderating/help/tutorials. Even if we only got 3 or 4 roms out of this, it would be pretty cool and would give me a great excuse to learn new things.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2010, 01:06:14 PM »

I say fuck yeah.

Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 08:34:42 PM »

Hmm, I would be interested in doing this but I don't have a handheld any more. Is it possible to run homebrew on the DSi? If so I might go out and buy one as I have spending money now that I've bought my new computer.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 08:58:17 PM »

Damn yeah!

DS developer there.

Frog, you can run homebrew on the DSi. You need a DSi compatible linker. They sell for a handful of dollars, you pop a micro SD in it with your compiled rom and SHOOM.

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.604~search.NDSi%20cart

There are a few models available, browse the net to know which one you prefer.
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2010, 09:17:35 PM »

Cool, 3 people and myself is enough to start a club I think. The DSi hacks to run homebrew are generally firmware tricks that exploit some check in the startup, either an overflow on an icon or some kinda memory bug. Apparently v1.5 fixed the latest overflow, but give it a little bit of time before another one comes out.

Also for DS development, you can very easily use No$gba to run your DS roms. There are a few inaccurate emulation issues, but most of the support is there. Tomorrow @ work I'll throw up another thread so we can plan out the details and which system we want to start with. Also if we find a system that we REALLY like, we can do multiple months. Like lets say we start with the GBA, then move to the DS, we could focus on 2d first, then 3d, then maybe audio manipulation? I am totally cool starting with console systems I already know, I'm pretty damn rusty so it'd be an excellent excuse to get back into the game. Ultimately I'd like to reach some low level systems like the original Gameboy, the Sega Master System, and possibly something awesomely weird like the Neo Geo Pocket Color. I could give some quick lessons on ASM, and we could make something collab if the system is too complicated. And if its too boring/difficult, we can drop it and try another.

Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 09:23:02 PM »

I love the idea. So to sum up, it'd be a monthly event in which we give starting documents/resources for a given platform, get the TIGers coding and see what happens?
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 09:45:17 PM »

I'm currently working on a homebrew for the Atari 5200.  Is that too old of a system for your little shindig?

What would John Carmack do?
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 10:32:51 PM »

I love the idea. So to sum up, it'd be a monthly event in which we give starting documents/resources for a given platform, get the TIGers coding and see what happens?
Yeah, thats the idea. Basically it would be a club for gentlemen/madams GentlemanHand Joystick in which a thread is created, and you are free to clutter it up with misc. tech, achievements, screenies, etc. and at the end I'll post links/whatever to all the completed roms. They don't even have to be complete, just running on the emulator is fiiine. Source is even better! That way everyone learns, and nobody is under pressure to actually complete a fully running game. This is purely for the knowledge and excitement of learning something new.

I'm currently working on a homebrew for the Atari 5200.  Is that too old of a system for your little shindig?

Oh hell yeah, thats awesome! Atari 5200 could most definitely be a system on the list. I'll probably do a Month Zero for the intro topic that has a voting poll with systems, suggestion box, general info, etc. I was thinking a Commodore 64 month would be pretty awesome as well.

r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2010, 03:19:32 AM »

this sounds interesting, I'd like to register my interest henceforth  Gentleman
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 05:08:26 AM »

I'm really interested in making a game for PSP and NDS. For DS, I've managed to make hello world and then I didn't have time. Now that I've graduated and have more time, I guess I should continue learning it.

For PSP, Is there an emulator to test the game or do I have to own a PSP?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic