Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411640 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 10:46:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Quote and Curly
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Quote and Curly  (Read 57690 times)
Mr.moo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2008, 03:00:04 AM »

I gave it another try and came up with this:
Still not the best, so if anyone wants to edit it, feel free.
I'm gone for the weekend now.  Gentleman

much better, you fixed up the spot which i found glitch y...

DO THE R.O.B!
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2008, 06:44:44 AM »

That's an awesome sprite, but currently there's no falling in the game...  Undecided
Maybe we'll add it eventually, but for now, the most-needed sprites are listed in the first post (I can use one of the frames for the 'hurt' sprite, though).

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2008, 06:49:23 AM »

Won't we need such a sprite for when the player dies? (by health rather than ringout).

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2008, 06:51:31 AM »

Possibly. But a flashing 'hurt' sprite that disappears would also do the job, and it would require less work.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2008, 03:43:24 AM »

Oops, my bad - I didn't realize that.
Possibly. But a flashing 'hurt' sprite that disappears would also do the job, and it would require less work.
Should that be an animation at all, or would you let the frame flash via code?
Or should Quote still be visible in the flash frame, but maybe with inverted colors?

Anyway, next up will be the shielding.
I plan to do the animation so that he'll quickly put away the gun, bend his knees slightly and lift his handy in front of his face. The last frame should stay displayed as long as the player blocks.

Anything I should consider before starting on it?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:52:30 AM by Kovski » Logged

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2008, 06:19:13 AM »

Yes. Just make the shielding animation a single frame. Shielding needs to be instantaneous, and there's no need to do extra work.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2008, 01:48:21 PM »

Considered and done!
Hope you like it. Wink

Clemens Scott
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2008, 09:35:44 PM »

I just did the upwards shoot. It has some details to improve, but anyway I wanted to post it. Also I looked for it, but I can't find the frame rate, so it's not the right one.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2008, 03:15:27 AM »

I just did the upwards shoot. It has some details to improve, but anyway I wanted to post it. Also I looked for it, but I can't find the frame rate, so it's not the right one.

Oooh, nice one! Glad to see some more people spriting for Indie Brawl!
I'm currently working on the 45° missile shot...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 04:48:42 AM by Kovski » Logged

Clemens Scott
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2008, 08:54:43 PM »

Since Quote's playable now, I'd like to hear your thoughts on how he's turning out. To start things off, I'll share what I was thinking when I programmed each attack.

Since the polar star has no knockback, it's not great at keeping the enemy at bay, but it's damage per second is quite high. It should be good for punishing static opponents charging up a large attack (spike seed), but you probably won't get off more than a hit or two against a moving opponent.

The missile launcher is a very powerful attack, but as a slow, short-ranged attack, it's easy to dodge, and you're very vulnerable while it charges. It could be very effective if fired downwards from a ledge, so I bet a lot of Quote players will go for the high ground.

The spur is Quote's main damaging attack. Whenever you have a free second you should charge this attack. Just a single hit can devastate an opponent. The charge time prevents spamming, fortunately, and if you miss, you're in a bad position.

Spirit King, as a ranged unblockable attack, was potentially overpowered, so I made sure to make it pretty slow. The attack takes roughly a full second to execute, but I could see it being very useful against groups of enemies.

Fireball is used in the same way it was in Cave Story- to hit opponent's you couldn't otherwise attack, to hit grounded enemies while in the air, and to put pressure on enemies that are more comfortable on the ground. It's potentially Quote's most spammable attack, so we'll need to keep an eye on it.

Booster is a better recovery move than Naija's. It's range is tiny, but as an instantaneous unblockable attack, it could still be effective when under heavy pressure.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2008, 04:28:24 AM »

Would anyone particularly care if I eliminated shooting the polar star downwards in favor of a faster, weaker missile?

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2008, 04:41:06 AM »

Not really, but you would need to give some sort of feedback to make it clear that the missile is different when fired from the air.

medieval
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2008, 04:42:29 AM »

It's probably just me, but I would still like it if the static normal ground attack would be a kick or a punch.

Even though it's not relevant to Quote.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2008, 06:35:24 AM »

Originally, A was Blade and >A was Polar Star. The problem was, you'd slowly shift to the right when using Polar Star, when you wanted to stay stationary, and, as others have mentioned, using neutral A attacks in a melee is a little more difficult, so the Blade was harder to use. After testing the attacks, I had to switch them.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2008, 06:57:06 AM »

A attacks that shoot projectiles seem a little weird to me too but I think it's just a hangover from Smash Bros. It's like Dr. Strangelove's hand: my brain is going "It doesn't have to be like Smash Bros" but my hand is going "BLASPHEMY! WHAT IS THIS, THING-THING ARENA?" (My hand has the voice of Harrison from The Might Boosh).

medieval
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2008, 07:16:58 AM »

Chutup beat me to it. Again. You win this time, chutup.

And yeah. It's still a 'brawling' game so putting only one or two close-range attacks in it wouldn't really work. I suggest A being a kick or punch (or a 3-strike combo), and >A being the blade.

Thus I would suggest this:

A: Punch or kick. Average to low damage, low knockback. Can go into a combo of up to three hits.
>A: Blade. Low damage, high knockback. Or high damage, low knockback, which I would prefer.
^A: I don't know. Fireball fired upwards or an uppercut. I don't know.
vA: I don't know. Possibly a melee attack or a rocket shot downwards.
vA Air: Machine gun shooting down, propelling quote upwards a little just like it does in the game.

S: Spur should be fine.
>S: Spirit king should do.
^S: Booster should work too.
vS: Rocket launched forwards.

Oh, and I have only played Cave Story up to the waterway so far, never beaten it yet. So I am only basing my attacks off of what I know and thus what people will see first in Cave Story after playing as Quote in Indie Brawl.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2008, 08:02:54 AM »

It's still a 'brawling' game so putting only one or two close-range attacks in it wouldn't really work. I suggest A being a kick or punch (or a 3-strike combo), and >A being the blade.
Quote has four close-ranged attacks- Blade, Rocket, Booster and Spirit King (although this attack has very good reach).

The problem I have with replacing Polar Star with a Punch is that Polar Star has a more well-defined niche. It's Quote's only standard projectile that doesn't require charging. Punch, on the other hand, is difficult to distinguish from Blade. Sure, one might have slightly higher knockback, and the other might deal better damage, but ultimately, they fill the same role.

Also, I'd like to make each character as unique as possible, to reflect the wonderful uniqueness of the original games. If every character's movelist looks like:
A - Punch
>A - Charge
^A - Uppercut
vA - Pound
then the characters begin to blur together too much.

vA: I don't know. Possibly a melee attack or a rocket shot downwards.
That's what it is now.  Smiley

vA Air: Machine gun shooting down, propelling quote upwards a little just like it does in the game.
That's Curly's thing.

vS: Rocket launched forwards.
What's wrong with Fireballs? It's one of Cave Story's most unique weapons, and it certainly fills a valuable role (attacking enemies on slopes and pressuring enemies into the air). Missiles are a little redundant with Spur (both would be slow, powerful, forward-aiming projectiles).

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2008, 09:06:14 AM »

Here's a crazy idea. If you really don't like the idea of projectiles as standard attacks, we could change the move list to this:

A: Blade
>A: Spirit King
^A: Booster
vA: Rocket Launcher

S: Spur
>S: Polar Star
^S: Polar Star (Fired Upwards)
vS: Fireball

That way, his basic attacks are all relatively short-ranged. The lack of a special recovery move might be annoying, though.

medieval
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2008, 09:34:27 AM »

Wait. You know what, my post wasn't thought out very well in terms of comfortable playing.

One last suggestion, based on the original scheme:
I don't think the polar star fired forward is necessary since the spirit King would mostly be used instead, if it has a short warmup and cooldown (which it has in cave story). Instead we could just do a punch for neutral A but still leave the polar star up and down attacks.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »

Wheeee, here's a quick one for inbetween - the fireball:

[EDIT]
And because it's so much fun, I also did the flying missile:

[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 10:49:39 AM by Kovski » Logged

Clemens Scott