Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411716 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 10:45:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 623724 times)
DIT
Level 0

O_O"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: April 08, 2008, 02:01:41 AM »

Yep, Every Other Colour it's really a beautiful name.
Gunmetal... I dont' know, it sounds cool but I think there is already a game named Gunmetal.
Seductive hero is total genius.

I think that Linearity or Simplicity are good names for a puzzle game, but if lateral thinking is involved... parhaps the game is not exactly about being linear or simple ... it is more "lateral".

Marco Di Timoteo | Studio Evil | Twitter: @evilredpenguin | My game on Greenlight
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 08, 2008, 09:35:39 AM »

I thought of Every Other Colour, as a name for a sidescrolling shooter *without mouse control*. I chose this name 'cause it sounds poetic.

It sounds nice, but I hope it's thematically related to the game. If the game doesn't have a colour theme, then you could save this name for a game which does.

For a series of games I choose Gunmetal as it's name, so it would be like Gunmetal Axe or something.

There's a 1998 game called 'Gunmetal', and a 2003 game called 'Gun Metal', but I don't think that's a problem since neither of them is particularly well known or good. I think it's a cool word, and it could work with a series of games but you want them to have a suitably metallic artistic theme. Otherwise all it's doing is sounding cool.

I also  made up the name Seductive Hero for a series about a super hero powered by women.

I don't know, I think this is a missed opportunity too. But you went the other way - instead of choosing a cool-sounding name which doesn't relate to the game's theme, you picked a cool theme and chose a name which matches but sounds uncool. There must be millions of awesome risque names for a game on this theme. Something like Super Hard or Rocket in My Pocket. Something corny and ridiculous. I'd call it:

Wham, Bam!

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: April 08, 2008, 12:25:52 PM »

How about my newest game, Too Many Isotopes?  In this abstract game, you have to keep a nuclear reaction in check, and avoid near-partial meltdown.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: April 08, 2008, 12:49:49 PM »

Oh! How about Buster Drake: The one with the descent into hell?

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 08, 2008, 01:37:47 PM »

Oh! How about Buster Drake: The one with the descent into hell?

I don't get the subtitle. Huh?
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: April 08, 2008, 01:45:42 PM »

It's like an episode of friends Grin

... ok, well I think it's funny :D

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 08, 2008, 01:50:57 PM »

Oh, "the one" refers to the game? If so, I think you should call it Buster Drake: That game with the descent into hell. :D
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: April 08, 2008, 01:55:30 PM »

That's not bad Smiley I could even drop the "Buster Drake" bit with that...

Zaphos
« Reply #268 on: April 08, 2008, 06:13:43 PM »

I didn't get it 'till you mentioned friends, but in that context I think "The one with" is better than "That game with"
 ... perhaps it needs to be an episodic game for the reference to click?

Buster Drake - Episode 1: The One with the Descent in to Hell
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 08, 2008, 07:37:46 PM »

Buster Drake - Episode 1: The One with the Descent in to Hell

You people make me sick. Just call it The Game With The Descent Into Hell.

Too Many Isotopes

It's over 20 years since the game 'Critical Mass' came out, and it's not well known in any case (AND it had very little to do with nuclear reactions). Why don't you call it that instead? It's a cool name.

A meltdown isn't caused by too many isotopes. It's caused by too many neutrons. You may call it 'Too Many Neutrons' if you wish, but I'll feel like you're biting my style from 'Too Many Ninjas'.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: April 09, 2008, 05:09:55 AM »

Wait, no, I've got it now:

The Buster Drake Chronicles: Series 1, Episode 1: That episode where he descends into hell and fights satan with a machine gun.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: April 09, 2008, 04:24:10 PM »

Too Many Isotopes
It's over 20 years since the game 'Critical Mass' came out, and it's not well known in any case (AND it had very little to do with nuclear reactions). Why don't you call it that instead? It's a cool name.

A meltdown isn't caused by too many isotopes. It's caused by too many neutrons. You may call it 'Too Many Neutrons' if you wish, but I'll feel like you're biting my style from 'Too Many Ninjas'.
All those are excellent ideas, but none form the acronym T.M.I. (I was hoping someone would catch it).  The near-partial meltdown at Three Mile Island happened just days after The China Syndrome came out, which is the movie that prompted the old Atari game that this game is based on.

By the way, in a nuclear reaction, "too many neutrons" would indeed cause "too many unstable isotopes."  Nevertheless, this game isn't exactly scientifically accurate.   Smiley

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 10, 2008, 07:00:36 AM »

If nobody catches your obscure acronym double-entendre, then it's a sign your obscure acronym double-entendre is too obscure.

Call it 'Three Mile Island', or go all eminem and call it 'Three Mile.'
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: April 10, 2008, 12:19:53 PM »

or go all eminem and call it 'Three Mile.'
I suppose that would make it a "triple-entendre."  A lot of people, however, did call Three Mile Island "TMI."

mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 10, 2008, 05:20:26 PM »

You could call it 4.828032 km.
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 10, 2008, 08:43:29 PM »

A lot of people, however, did call Three Mile Island "TMI."

These days, that stands for 'too much information'. Anyhow, just call it 'Critical Mass'. More people will play it.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 11, 2008, 06:55:16 AM »

The Buster Drake Chronicles: Series 1, Episode 1: That episode where he descends into hell and fights satan with a machine gun.
That sounds too much like You Have To Burn The Rope to me.

the_depraved
Level 1

Smile like a donut.

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 11, 2008, 10:35:18 AM »

That sounds too much like You Have To Burn The Rope to me.

Shocked

up down left right upper cut.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 11, 2008, 11:09:32 AM »

Make it The Buster Drake Chronicles: Series 4, Episode 6: That episode where he descends into hell and fights satan with a machine gun and you've got pure awesomeness.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 11, 2008, 12:07:28 PM »

Call it 'Three Mile Island', or go all eminem and call it 'Three Mile.'

I have a new idea for a game: Eight Mile Island, a game about a kid who wanders into the Exclusion Zone by accident and gains RADIOACTIVE RAP POWERS.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 155
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic