Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411677 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 08:51:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsGlobal Jam, thoughts?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Global Jam, thoughts?  (Read 7278 times)
SFBTom
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »

Anyone attending at Qantm College/SAE London?

Yep, I'll definitely be there! I'm not cheating and bringing my own artists this year either, so it should prove interesting...

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 11:52:05 PM »

I really wish there was a place near me so that I could attend this.  Sad

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 02:03:01 AM »

Excited to do this, even though until yesterday, I had totally forgotten about it. I think that the one me and my coworkers are going to will be relatively small.

Are there themes for the GGJ?

stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 04:19:35 AM »

I'll be at the NYU jam next weekend!

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 04:46:15 AM »

Looking forward to meeting you, Berlin bros!

Chat me up, I want to do art for some nice game!

(← new art twitter)
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 05:26:41 AM »

I got a ticket for the NYU jam. I like the idea of going there and getting everything laid out, and then teleconferencing for the rest of it... sounds easier than, say, sleeping over and I can use the fancy programs on my PC...  Big Laff

stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 12:21:23 PM »

I got a ticket for the NYU jam. I like the idea of going there and getting everything laid out, and then teleconferencing for the rest of it... sounds easier than, say, sleeping over and I can use the fancy programs on my PC...  Big Laff

Just bringin my macbook and a sleeping bag Tongue

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »

Are there themes for the GGJ?
Yep, usually there's one global, and one for the time zone (actually three for that and you choose one) - but you'll only know once the jam starts!

Regarding my thoughts concerning the GGJ: It's one of my two favourite events each year, I'm loving it! I'll be going for the 3rd year now, despite never having time (I actually skipped an exam the first year, and I am writing my bachelor thesis right now), and I never regretted it. It's soooo amazingly fun! Grin

Looking forward to meeting you, Berlin bros!

Chat me up, I want to do art for some nice game!
Tiger Bro Fist Right Bro Fist Left Tiger

chrisjan
Level 0

Serial jammer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »

Hey Miguelito, nice to have you here in the Berlin site of the GGJ.  In our case we are renting the first floor of the Videogames Museum for this event for the whole weekend.  Plus, we will provide you with food and drinks.  This and some more minor costs (e.g. tables, chairs, etc) explains why we have to charge the attendees a small fee.  The GGJ itself isn't charging anything, it's to cover the local costs of the site.

So, I, er...

Now how is this going to work? Will I be able to make games with y'all as my bros or is this more or less a local thing, where I'll be servicing the Berlin clientèle with my graphics?

The idea is that the participants will form teams once we've done the introductions, and each team has to produce one game over the course of the weekend.  So, to answer your question, you will not be making graphics for other people. as if you were a service.  Instead, you will make your own game together with your team.  The graphics you will make are up to you, you're the one who takes the decisions in the artistic section.  Your creative input and ideas are not only welcomed, but expected.

If you need anything or have any questions during the GGJ feel free to ask me.  I'm the guy doing the presentations the first day, you'll see me around.

Scoops
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 07:40:50 AM »

It's a lot of fun. I usually work from home after going the first day (I have no laptop). This year I'm going to try to work from my iPhone. I convinced a friend to do it last year and now he has investors for an iPhone game. He had no prior game dev experience.

Your wording is confusing me a bit here.... when you say working from your iPhone I assume you mean developing a game on the iPhone?
ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 07:08:47 PM »

Anyone from here attentending Miami, Florida? Smiley
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 07:09:38 PM »

I confirmed my presence in the Global Game Jam here in Lima, Peru. It's called Lima Game Jam by the way.

Going with my laptop, food and a sleeping bag Cheesy

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 04:19:39 AM »

Hey Miguelito, nice to have you here in the Berlin site of the GGJ.  In our case we are renting the first floor of the Videogames Museum for this event for the whole weekend.  Plus, we will provide you with food and drinks.  This and some more minor costs (e.g. tables, chairs, etc) explains why we have to charge the attendees a small fee.  The GGJ itself isn't charging anything, it's to cover the local costs of the site.

Thank you. I hope it was clear though that the question wasn't serious - there's no problem at all ponying up a little cash for a heated room and Wi-Fi. The snacks are just a great extra! (Even though I'm pretty sure pizza and döner will be the main things there, and I know the best burrito place in town. Smiley )

If you need anything or have any questions during the GGJ feel free to ask me.  I'm the guy doing the presentations the first day, you'll see me around.

Great! See you then!
I already sent in my slides. If they didn't come through, I'll do a short sockpuppet play or something!

Also, from that confirmation mail:

19:00 (7pm) Pizza and bear for those who survived

I guess we're going to see some amazing GGJ photos then!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 04:25:44 AM by Miguelito » Logged

(← new art twitter)
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 07:09:25 PM »

The Monster King and FrankieSmileShow legendary team up in Montreal

team name "NOT ALIENS AGAIN? ITS ALWAYS ALIENS."
KingSlizzard
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 11:09:59 PM »

Will so be there
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:35:06 PM by King Slizzard » Logged

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 02:21:33 AM »

Ok this is a silly question but I couldn't find the info anywhere on the website: if there are no jam sites near me, can I still take part informally on my own / with friends and submit a game? Or do I *need* to pick / be at a jam site?

Also, will there be some kind of voting afterwards? Who votes/judges?

unseven
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 04:30:04 AM »

Ok this is a silly question but I couldn't find the info anywhere on the website: if there are no jam sites near me, can I still take part informally on my own / with friends and submit a game? Or do I *need* to pick / be at a jam site?

Also, will there be some kind of voting afterwards? Who votes/judges?
No and no. I mean, you actually can work with a your friends at someone's house/flat/dungeon, but you should have registered it until last friday to make it an official site. So, if you still want to participate, you have to go somewhere.

Also, I believe there won't be judging. GGJ is not a competition, after all.
ntdb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 05:22:03 AM »

There will be local judging and prizes in Atlanta, at least. That is what I had expected going into the jam last year. I was surprised when it sort of fell apart near the end.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 01:52:32 PM »

IT BEGINS (in Rochester)

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2012, 02:13:00 AM »

IT'S OVER (in Sydney). It was pretty huge this year, at least by our standards here. 30 teams, something like a hundred people? Or more? Our game was nominated in the Tech and Theme categories, but the awards aren't until next week. The controls suck~ so just watch the youtube video.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic