Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 06:51:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat makes Braid and Portal stand-out from other puzzle games?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: What makes Braid and Portal stand-out from other puzzle games?  (Read 6976 times)
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2011, 11:06:36 PM »

I like how all these games have their fitting stereotype in my head Blink   I don't think any of them can be compared to each other, they are all very unique and provide more than just being a bare bones puzzle game.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2011, 12:11:32 AM »

This thread is making me nervous. I'm working on a Flash game with the intent on creating something smart and atmospheric like these game you guys have mentioned. I'd like to think the people who play Flash games would like something like this as a change of pace from the norm - but maybe the audience just isn't that interested in smart or 'arty' games...

Then again it's probably not wise to generalize 'people who play flash games'. I feel like most internet users have played at least one flash game in their life right?

There are a few games that do break this norm.  Chronotron and The Company of Myself come to mind.  Most flash games are just looking to be simple and addicting, but I think atmosphere is something flash devs should be paying more attention to.
stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2011, 10:59:32 AM »

I like how all these games have their fitting stereotype in my head Blink   I don't think any of them can be compared to each other, they are all very unique and provide more than just being a bare bones puzzle game.

You're certainly right, but inevitably, people will compare and contrast and categorize. It's just how humans need to organize things for themselves. It's the essence of marketing really, and the whole idea of "positioning." Perhaps I should've posted this thread in the business forum instead Smiley

forwardresent
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2011, 01:56:22 AM »

Personally I think it was the personality of the games that made them so special.
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2011, 02:12:19 AM »

To me (being a huge Braid and Portal fan), it's because are both oozing with charm and personality.

Braid uses its mechanics as a metaphor for the frustrations of a lover, and it's environment provides a unique experience with its impressionism inspired artwork and endearing soundtrack.

Portal plays with the room by room gameplay of puzzle games by hinting towards a greater, darker backstory, through the increasingly suspicious remarks by Glados and the hidden rooms.

Their mechanics made them good games, but their charm made them great games.
Glic2000
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2011, 07:04:54 AM »

The only place I've ever heard Spacechem mentioned is in these forums. 
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »

There was a thread for spacechem when it came out and paul eres mentions it occasionally (like in this thread)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2011, 04:43:45 PM »

Also: Hana no Puzzle is the best puzzle game of the current century.
You are wrong because my puzzle-game will be released next year.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2011, 06:47:24 PM »

Are you talking about Trap them? Because when I hear about Trap Them I'm PUMPED UP.
I can't wait, next year is too far away. I want this game to revolutionnize me RIGHT NOW

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2011, 07:18:21 PM »

Braid and Portal are easier than typical puzzle games, in part because they involve no trial-and-error gameplay (or is it the other way around?). They're also more visceral than puzzle games tend to be, because in both cases, the player controls a single character in a world with realis(h)tic physics.

They're not necessarily better games for those reasons, just more broadly appealing.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2011, 04:39:12 AM »

An easy puzzle-game is a bad puzzle-game.

- J-Snake

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2011, 06:45:10 AM »

Braid and Portal are easier than typical puzzle games, in part because they involve no trial-and-error gameplay (or is it the other way around?). They're also more visceral than puzzle games tend to be, because in both cases, the player controls a single character in a world with realis(h)tic physics.

They're not necessarily better games for those reasons, just more broadly appealing.

I think the physicality and visceral-ness is important. It gives their mechanics immediate context, and thus they are more mind blowing. They're part puzzle-game and part fantasy fulfillment.

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2011, 06:52:37 AM »

I think the physicality and visceral-ness is important. It gives their mechanics immediate context, and thus they are more mind blowing. They're part puzzle-game and part fantasy fulfillment.

Now that I think about it some more, yeah, the fantasy fulfillment part really makes them stand-out. You control a character in a physical world, but that character has some amazing "Wouldn't it be cool.." ability. This is in contrast to a lot of puzzle games that either 1) take place in an abstracted space, such as a gridded board, or 2) do not actually give you an amazing ability - just some ability (like block-pushing games. Push blocks around..sounds super exciting, right?). Video games have a unique ability to provide these physically-realized fantasies.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2011, 08:31:57 AM »

For one thing, they are "action puzzles". They are not pure puzzles, they have an element of interaction that "pure" puzzles don't have. I think that alone make them more approachable to people who usually arn't that interested in puzzle games.
There is also the great unique polish\style.

But what makes them so special is their "first use" of a certain mechanic in a puzzle game. Many games have new mechanics, but their mechanics and gameplay are so unique and "never have seen before" that they stand out.
They are so rare, because it's extremly difficult to think of a new untapped mechanic like this. The more time pass, the harder it is to find new mechanics and things that havn't been done before. That is why I think they are so succesful.

Master of all trades.
st33d
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2011, 09:06:42 AM »

They both have a very clever and difficult to program mechanic.

It's no doubt very inspiring to work with those tools when you put your level designer hat on.
stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2011, 02:53:48 PM »

They both have a very clever and difficult to program mechanic.

It's no doubt very inspiring to work with those tools when you put your level designer hat on.

This is true as well. They're almost magical when you first see them, and even more so when you first play with them. Far more magical than block pushing puzzles and the such.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2011, 08:22:38 PM »

It seems just to be the turn-back-time-feature in Braid. I am a magician, I can do this too.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic