Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 06:14:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Nikujin [DONE]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Nikujin [DONE]  (Read 90190 times)
medieval
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2008, 09:22:24 AM »

Great to see someone working on this guy's moves!
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2008, 11:10:07 AM »

Did the basic attack. It has three frames. I you need it with two, I could remove one of the middle frames, or the last one, as you prefer.

For the combo, how much attacks would it be? They'd be all different animations?

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2008, 11:39:34 AM »

It's probably best if you make the sword swing itself only a single frame. That would give the animation more force.

medieval
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2008, 11:44:25 AM »

In the real Nikujin the cooldown takes longer than the slash. The slash is just one frame. Maybe two. And he's not doing the slash standing relaxed like that.
Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »

Sorta like:

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2008, 07:22:42 PM »

In the original, he also uses two hands to slash.

undertech
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2008, 10:00:17 PM »

MS Paint attempt

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2008, 03:15:25 AM »

Yes. Two hands. Preferable.

I also think his entire body does a little of a follow-through with the sword. He's looking a little too relaxed at the moment.
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2008, 06:51:37 AM »

The reason I gave it such a relaxed position, is that if the next attacks in the combo look different, then I thought it should start with an attack like the on I drew. But thinking of it, if the combo isn't like I thought, then the attack should be just like in the game.

How is the combo going to look?

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2008, 07:09:23 AM »

Hm, well right now there is no combo, (I know I said there would be in the original post) he just does the same slash over and over, which is like the source material. But I can easily add a combo if we want to. I'm not sure if it's worth bothering though, since a three- or four-stroke combo will be basically the same as three or four slashes in a row, both functionally and visually. You might be better off with a single slash animation that looks good when played repeatedly, like his original attack animation.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2008, 07:19:36 AM »

Then I'll try that later. I guess that by tonight or tomorrow night I should have it done.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2008, 07:54:24 AM »

Spriting should be easier once you can play around with the character and see how he moves and attacks. I've only got-  Shocked I've only got two attacks left to do. This is fun! Whee!

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2008, 12:09:35 PM »

This is fun! Whee!
Isn't it? As soon as school stops being difficult (Damn you, quarter system!) I'll get right to work on Turner.

undertech
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2008, 12:10:46 PM »

Will his regular slash move him forward slightly, like the original?
undertech
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2008, 10:54:50 PM »

Crouch slash

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2008, 11:04:24 PM »

Will his regular slash move him forward slightly, like the original?
It does indeed.

Also, the crouching slash as I've programmed it is really low - he practically lies on his belly. But I'm not sure about it because even with such a low hitbox, he still can't avoid a standard projectile or a flipper kick with it. And even if I change it so he can, it seems kind of counterintuitive that only Nikujin can crouch to avoid stuff, and then only when he attacks. I might change it so that it doesn't affect his hitbox, but instead commits him to a longer, but stronger attack.

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2008, 01:51:07 AM »

You could, for a combo system, just have two attacks; a vertical one and a horizontal one, and code it so if the attack button is pressed again within, say, 5 frames he will do a horizontal slash. Then it would be sortof like vertical - horizontal - slight pause - vertical - horizontal etc.
Then you could have it as either the pause is long enough for an enemy to escape, or you can only do 3 in quick succession or something.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2008, 03:26:11 AM »

Uh, chutup, what happened to the portrait I did? You replaced it with '48x48 portrait: You can fill this space!!'.

Didn't like it, huh? Cry

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2008, 04:07:45 AM »

Aw, no. I just never thought to put it there in the first place. I'll add it now.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2008, 04:19:54 AM »

Also, the crouching slash as I've programmed it is really low - he practically lies on his belly. But I'm not sure about it because even with such a low hitbox, he still can't avoid a standard projectile or a flipper kick with it. And even if I change it so he can, it seems kind of counterintuitive that only Nikujin can crouch to avoid stuff, and then only when he attacks. I might change it so that it doesn't affect his hitbox, but instead commits him to a longer, but stronger attack.
I'd need to change the engine a bit to make changing hitboxes possible. If there's enough support for the change, I'll make it, but for the most part, static hitboxes work fine.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic