Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 12:51:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCerberus
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Cerberus  (Read 14843 times)
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »

This seriously kicks ass. Count me in if you ever need testers.

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »

Update 24
Since last time, I worked on the new audio engine which is now almost done. I only need to make a small parser for its tiny scripting language.
I made the map loading span across multiple frames not to murder the framerate (and the audio streaming) when changing map. It still needs a lot of optimization because loading maps can take up to 5 seconds which is way more than I want.
Finally, I added cool debug graphs to analyze performance while the game is running.

Pierre did pixel art for items to pickup, save points, zone warp gates and the fire spell (because my particles sucked). He also sketched more animations for the main character.

Eye-candy — save point (Fontus Domain):
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2012, 04:12:58 PM »

Update 25
I've finished working on my new audio engine (yay) and I replaced the old one with it.
I've fixed a few bugs where some maps were not connected properly.
I've added some of the items to pickup in the prototype level.
Also, I've done the much needed optimization on map loading times, which are now back to less than 100ms.

Pierre made animations for the switches which players activate to open their way:

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2012, 04:18:13 PM »

Update 26
Since our last update, Pierre has done more animation work on the monsters:

I have added editor and code support for the mechanisms featured in the last update.
I have also work on the menu design. This is the old version:

And these are what I did today:

(portrait still needs some artist's love)

icons are placeholders from FFT

I've also decided to bump the devlog's progress bar to 10% (which is quite pessimistic, I think we're closer than that to being done with our prototype).
dota_mtdew
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2012, 04:20:25 PM »

am i the only one for whom the tiles are way too low contrast to make out much?
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2012, 01:17:42 AM »

I think it's because of the blinding brightness of the TIGS forums. If it were full screen or against a dark background the contrast would be fine.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2012, 01:25:49 AM »

Agreed with Ninja Dodo (great name, by the way).

This looks beautiful. I can't believe this wasn't on my radar before.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:55:24 AM by Inanimate » Logged
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »

Update 27
Things are progressing smoothly. Since the last update I've designed all the other pause menu screens (Character Status, Inventory, Equipment, Spells, Map, Options) and I've coded them all except Options and Map.
Today I also wrote some dialog stuff for a change.

Eye-candy:

(one of the two screens I still have to actually make)
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2012, 01:39:22 AM »

Update 28
Since the last update I have coded the options screen (and the associated features). The only one left is now the map screen. No eye-candy because Pierre is on holiday and I've already posted lots of GUI-stuff.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2012, 04:39:45 AM »

all my want:

here, you can have it
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2012, 05:43:58 AM »

Gorgeous art. Beautiful pixels. Loving the eye-candy so far. I'm following you guys!

Ashkin
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2012, 11:53:28 AM »

I love that map <3
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2012, 12:13:15 PM »

I love that map <3

back off you slut it's mine
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2012, 03:24:48 PM »

Update 29
Since the last update, I coded the map screen and fixed a handful of bugs. I also added some short dialogs here and there and started coding monsters.
Pierre has been animating the hero and monsters (leech, tentacle):
CVaseTYb!!
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2013, 12:32:06 AM »

wheres some updates, i want a game to play
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2013, 05:51:51 PM »

Not dead yet. Not much has happened since the last update because Pierre has been very busy but things should get better next month. This is still our hobby project =)
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2014, 10:56:06 PM »

Final status update of this devlog.

Work on this project has been almost nonexistent for a year due to:
- Personal reasons in both Pierre's and my own life
- Large distance gap between Pierre and I which made communication difficult (I moved from France to California)
- Legal uncertainties with my employer

Today I finally heard back from my employer's legal department, after many months of waiting. It turns out I am contractually not allowed to keep working on Cerberus with the intent of releasing it to the public.

The project was already agonizing but this is the final nail in the coffin. I want to thank Pierre and Armand for their outstanding work on Cerberus, and also everyone who supported us in this devlog.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2014, 09:27:39 AM »

Aw man, I was looking forward to seeing more of this.

I'm aware this is not uncommon, especially in the US, but if you ask me unless they're paying for 24 hours 7 days a week of your time employers have no business deciding what you do with your free time. They employ you, they don't own you.

Depending where you are no personal projects clauses like that may even be un-enforceable. I get that it's more nebulous for programmers (overlapping techniques, etc) but unless you're making something in direct competition with your boss they have no right to prevent you from creating your own things.

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2014, 11:03:24 AM »

Really sad to hear that. The process has been great to watch.

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2014, 08:11:10 PM »

I'm aware this is not uncommon, especially in the US, but if you ask me unless they're paying for 24 hours 7 days a week of your time employers have no business deciding what you do with your free time. They employ you, they don't own you.

Depending where you are no personal projects clauses like that may even be un-enforceable. I get that it's more nebulous for programmers (overlapping techniques, etc) but unless you're making something in direct competition with your boss they have no right to prevent you from creating your own things.

Yeah, I know there are way to fight against this — my lead/boss even offered to help complaining — but I don't think it's worth the fight at this point. I had submitted three projects to the legal department (incl. Cerberus) and there's one they don't mind me working on and even commercializing. I'll focus on that one from now on, it may even be a good thing that I can't get sidetracked. I won't be too upset as long as I can work on something, and there's always game jams.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic