Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411664 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 05:48:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFloater
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Floater  (Read 3078 times)
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2013, 05:27:18 PM »

[play]

i made a small game tonight

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 05:52:17 PM »

I got down 3 screens before the boredom monster ate my character's will to live.
framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 09:47:02 AM »

It's pretty, but soon enough I succumb to the terrible disease doctors call whatsthepointitous.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 11:32:10 AM »

Yup. A little hard to understand how it's a game in the current state, no goal is even stated. Maybe you were supposed to go up? I went down, because that was faster.

Edit: No, couldn't go up...
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 02:27:23 PM »

You did this in 1 night , I feel I'm too lazy  Embarrassed
Dialock
Level 0

Not dead yet.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »

Nice!  Can see a number of possible gameplay mechanics with it.

@CWIPRE
bitserum
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 12:10:40 AM »

I dig it as those newspaper maze games, but at its current state it's bland and getting lost is not challenging (thus not fun) at all.
Like the style though!
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 12:21:59 AM »

hard to understand how it's a game in the current state
what is..... a game?Huh??

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 01:49:23 AM »

Very interesting question. I'd say that the difference between a game and a ... digital toy, would be that the game successfully convinces you that what you're doing is meaningful.

So for example, if you play snake, you are aware that it's pointless because it's only about getting longer until you die and then you see a number on the screen. But, you can still fool yourself in the moment, because you're getting longer. It looks like something is happening.

In this game there's no such illusion of progress, which makes it not-really-a-game in my opinion. But it's pretty, and the maze generator is cool, it doesn't give any dead ends  Smiley
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 03:37:31 AM »

And then someone solved snake .. Crazy

Snake is still way the hell more fun than this because it has a possible failure state.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 08:44:41 AM »

Very interesting question. I'd say that the difference between a game and a ... digital toy, would be that the game successfully convinces you that what you're doing is meaningful.

So for example, if you play snake, you are aware that it's pointless because it's only about getting longer until you die and then you see a number on the screen. But, you can still fool yourself in the moment, because you're getting longer. It looks like something is happening.

In this game there's no such illusion of progress, which makes it not-really-a-game in my opinion. But it's pretty, and the maze generator is cool, it doesn't give any dead ends  Smiley
ack i wasn't serious about the game thing (i dont like the "what is a game discussion") but i'm glad it gave you food for thought!

thanks for the compliments!

Snake is still way the hell more fun than this because it has a possible failure state.
i am aware that floater isn't fun??? does everything have to be fun?? can't it just be nice?Huh?

i made a game that attempts to be fun it's in my signature
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 08:54:57 AM by JMickle » Logged

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 11:03:05 AM »

ok i updated it to be more "fun" i also added audio hopefully you won't want to kill yourself when you play it anymore

Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »

I wanted to see the little pixel guy up closer, so I zoomed in a few times, till I had 10 rows that I could see at the same time, instead of the normal 30 or so. This made it a bit more immersive imho.

I like the new balls with the added sound effects, but the game still seems to mis a goal causing me to lose my attention quite quick.

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
SoulSharer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 12:28:13 PM »

It felt good, but meaningless, which lead to boredom in the end. Could be much more.

Twitter: twitter.com/SoulSharer
TheGrandHero
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 01:34:59 PM »

Not bad for a single night's work. A nice little composition to enjoy for a few minutes.

It'd be nice if you could walk across the screen like in Mario Bros. or Pac-Man. Flying is also pretty slow; it'd be nice if you could go up at the same speed you go down.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 01:38:38 PM »

guys shut the fuck up about whether it's a game or not. that discussion almost is never fruitful. also, boredom and "what's the point" is a shitty criticism.

play hydlide 2
mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 01:53:13 PM »

gettin' warioware vibes
specifically this

CryingGhost
Level 0

gomennasai

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 02:12:45 PM »

It's a cool little game, especially considering it was only made in a night. I really liked the whole the musical aspect that chimed in when you hit the orbs. I guess it did get a little boring after a while, but it doesn't really sound like you were trying to make the next 'Bioshock' or something.
CNIAngel
Level 0

Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 02:15:59 PM »

I love everything about this and the audio is soothing. Everything about Floater is flawless and I shall regard it as such.

framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »

The first time I had played it, there was no music. This drastically changed how I felt about the game. I quite like it now, don't change a dingle-darn thing.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic