Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 06:20:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHumqn Fishbowl
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Humqn Fishbowl  (Read 22051 times)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2015, 12:37:30 AM »

Would it be faster to use an edge detector on each frame and then remove unwanted lines?
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2015, 06:20:37 AM »

So cool seeing it take shape. So much work haha.

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2015, 06:30:23 AM »

I would never have the patience, edge detection sounds like what I would try. might actually work quite well, if you use strong contrasting colours for different parts.
the results look great!

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2015, 02:17:35 PM »

Would be faster to work with edge detection but then you would get a very particular look without all the control that I want. I see the video as a guide to work with and I don't want just a trace. This way I'm able to interpret the figure and frame to my particular style, changing things that I want and removing things that I'm not happy with. I'll post some more video screenshots later to show what I'm working with.

In the end the video is a reference to be interpreted.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2015, 04:25:13 AM »

Hoodie now finished and can move onto the lower half.

Part of my use of rotoscoping is that I enjoy not only the results but the process. I like being able to draw and see every frame take shape and every once in awhile finding a frame in the middle of hundreds that for me stands out from the rest. No one else might notice that one frame but for me I know it's there. Using something like edge detection would stop me from having that control of the moment and approaching the frame from how I feel at that moment. Sometimes I have more patience then others and I find myself adding a little bit more to a specific frame.

My mindset has always been for this project that I'm going to do it exactly the way I want, even if it is going to take me a long time. All those years of art school I guess ingrained in me a patience for doing things the way I want them to be done with the process and results being just as important.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2015, 04:50:48 AM »

Another day, another addition.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2015, 05:52:21 PM »

Attempting Ludum Dare this weekend so thought I'd put up what I have so far for this animation.

Will try and post a progress one also later on in the week.

Nico May
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2015, 07:17:29 PM »

This has a neat style, I love rotoscoping done right, watching this one(:

Conker
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2015, 07:55:44 PM »

wow this is awesome!
Nico May
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2015, 08:19:02 PM »

wow actually I just read the full backlog and I'm even more impressed now, the animations are crazy smooth and the interaction looks surprisingly dynamic for pre-drawn actions, all over impressed  Who, Me?

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2015, 02:45:37 AM »

Cheers Conker and thanks NicoM, glad you enjoyed the backlog.

Rotoscoping is definitely something that sometimes gets a bad reputation cause some people use it without actually knowing how to work it. I think when it's done right it can be amazing and is why I've always been fascinated by it. After years of also using it I've come to refining my process and technique to what actually works. Something that I think helps. Making it all work together takes a lot of work but I think it is worth the hours of pain. Making it feel dynamic and not so structured is my goal, so if I can achieve that I'll be happy.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2015, 05:14:51 AM »

Ludum Dare was a failure this time. Woke up on the second day and decided to scrap my first idea which didn't give me enough time to complete my second idea. Oh well, there's always next time and also means I can get back to Humqn Fishbowl.

Here's the progress animation of how it all evolved.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2015, 05:45:40 AM »

Working on a new animation.

Wonder what he's got in his pocket? First person to guess it, wins nothing.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2015, 07:56:13 AM »

Underwear.

Hey, any ideas for the music? Like, I figure it would be repetitive, but with the music reacting to the different animations. Where you thinking of making it dynamic as well?

Also, my condolences to your Ludum Dare attempt. You're still a winner on the inside!

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2015, 06:22:17 AM »

Not underwear M4uesviecr but it is something you can wear.

Haven't thought too much about the music yet. Still feel like it's early on and just trying to get the whole thing blocked out. I know I want something that will help set the atmosphere and be subtle. Dynamic is definitely something I would like to play where it is affected by the action occurring.

Thanks for the Ludum Dare condolence Smiley had to happen eventually after all my attempts.

JWK5
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2015, 07:38:08 AM »

Looks like a hat.

Also, this project is pretty awesome! The animations have a real sense of "life" to them.
Keep up the good work!  CoffeeToast Right
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2015, 07:24:10 AM »

Thanks JWK5  Grin always appreciated your art posts so really nice to hear. This is a big passion project for me so great to know more people are enjoying my work.

The truth will all be revealed tomorrow with what it is, so keep an eye out. Won't have time to complete everything i wanted, but i will have something.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2015, 07:25:12 AM »

Turns out it was a Santa hat. Didn't get it finished upto the point I wanted, but it'll do for this year. All buggy towards the end so I'll be fixing that up at a later date Smiley

Merry Christmas everyone.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2015, 03:34:56 AM »

Spent a few days going doing to Melbourne to spend time with the extended family for Christmas so work has been a bit sporadic. Flew back into Sydney last night and today I was back at work so haven't had much of a chance to work on any new things.

Was able to fix a little bug that had been there for months so that's been a nice change. Had issues with the touch section for the rain not working when dragging over the numbers text. Turns out I was just overlooking something very basic so that has now been sorted.

Hoping after New Years I'll be able to get back into the full swing of things.

wirelessbrain55
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2015, 08:02:07 PM »

This is very cool when do you find the time to make these animations?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic