Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 06:58:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall"AOOFAD/Au Sable" Now Done!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: "AOOFAD/Au Sable" Now Done!  (Read 179229 times)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2009, 03:55:10 AM »

Cool! Don't forget you can also buy my game on CD at my lulu site www.lulu.com/amon26
I get about 5 bones from every cd sold, it all adds up!  Some guy came into my store the other day who I never met, he ordered 2 copies of it and wanted me to sign one of them. (i pimped flyers around town for it)  I've been gobsmacked at its response.  Embarrassed Flattering!

The small picture I'll be selling for 15 bucks, the larger one will be 20.  I also framed the black/white one from WAY back on page 1 or 2 (go back) and that will also be 20.

got something neet happening with a USB thumbdrive I snatched up too.

In the meantime, here have a sneek peek of Au Sable (spiritual sequel to AOOFAD)
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2009, 04:04:44 AM »

man it looks quite nice, now i have to play it brb

EDIT: it's awesome!!! plays like Abuse done in 8-bit :D also i really like the sound fxs

i request frontpage D: DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKK
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 04:21:18 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2009, 07:06:41 PM »

video advertisment, yum!

buyables soon!
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2009, 07:21:30 PM »

video advertisment, yum!

buyables soon!

game good Kiss
not bad video
ah, pffft

+ i fucking want Au Sable Lips Sealed

Fuzz
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2009, 07:41:44 PM »

Fucking kickass video. DEREK, FRONTPAGE THIS ALREADY!
And yeah, Au Sable sounds awesome.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2009, 01:54:22 PM »

I might be popping the top on this one a little early, but I thought I'd let you have a peek nonetheless.  It's footage of Au Sable in action!

CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2009, 02:32:27 PM »

once again:  Kiss

Tomato
Level 0

Boosh.

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2009, 07:59:34 PM »

why is Cavern of Doom on the front page while All of Our Friends are Dead isn't?
Fuzz
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2009, 08:38:26 PM »

Au Sable looks a bit more classic platformer-ish. I like the clash between that feeling and the vibes given off by the disjointed music/talking audio track.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2009, 09:45:26 PM »

why is Cavern of Doom on the front page while All of Our Friends are Dead isn't?

maybe i nagged derek to play it one too many times :}
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2009, 04:13:29 AM »

maybe i nagged derek to play it one too many times :}

Sad

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2009, 04:59:07 PM »

www.cafepress.com/amon

Ha-HAA! E-store!  Buttons, Clocks, T-shirts, Hoodies are ready for shipping to your door right now!  Worry not, The paintings/drawings are almost done.  I want to put those all on the market simultaneously (probably etsy.com) so as not to entice anyone into buying one and then-OOH a better one comes up. 

I'm really trying to make something of quality and substance for anyone who's a fan, so tell me if there's anything else you'd like to have okay?

btw, beta of Au Sable will be coming out the end of this week god willing.  It's pretty damn yummy!

-Amon26
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2009, 03:36:03 PM »

Oh wow, I didn't know this was finished Smiley

Very nice game.  It was a tad difficult until I got smart and started using the F5/F6 keys.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Fuzz
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2009, 04:20:20 PM »

Those buttons do look nice...
Cerogravian
Level 2

Working As Designed

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2009, 04:55:51 PM »

Bloody hell!

I've been on an involuntary vacation from all TIGery things, but I remember seeing the first screeny from this but nothing more before I left, and now I get back and this is one of the first topics I get to see - It's finished!!
I'm sad to say that as thrilled as I was just after the first image, I half dismissed this as something that'd fade away in development, I can't express how happy I am that wasn't the case! Grin

I haven't played it all the way through, I'll get the final bits tomorrow, but this is damned good. The music, the graphics, it's all GentlemanHand Money Right
There are only two things that have irked me this far, and not alot I might add. At first I was a bit sceptical about the rifle sound, it sounded a bit too loud and powerful to fit the atmosphere and style I guess, but the longer I played the more I thought that might just be my headphones that are unreasonably loud, since the music grew more and more over the gunshots Roll Eyes
(I just have to mention one more time how much I liked the music and sounds, and how fitting they were!)
...Finally I'm not sure, but I think that some of the "cutscenes" should need some work on the text, some words are not really readable, and I can understand that you don't want to show too much and so on, but if you're showing it, even if it's for half a second, one should be able to read it, no?  Smiley;;

I'll play the rest tomorrow like I said, and if I don't return with more comments I'll probably start pestering you about mentorship or something Beg
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2009, 10:38:23 PM »

OH MY MAN its hard to convey menacing/disturbing in a 32x32 pixel square  Angry

Here! have some more yummy Au Sable goodness!  Beta Release is scheduled for this weekend..ish...

break on through to the other side
Curseman
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2009, 10:58:28 PM »

WARNING: A Huge Battleship "Wall of Text" Is Approaching Fast!

I thought it was pretty good overall.  I felt that the controls were cooperative and generally good.  Enemies were somewhat predictable and generally went down easily, but still felt satisfying to me for whatever reason.  The quicksave and quickload features cut any frustration out of the equation, but also further trivialized all of the challenge from the game's action elements.

But of course, the action elements aren't really what this game is about.

The visuals were universally nicely done.  The decision to use almost no color other than red was a good one.  The sound was also very nice in building the atmosphere.  You also seemed to know what you were doing with the use of timing, like how the player only sees the spine thing in transition between two of the levels for an instant.  It doesn't have the same effect if everything is always in plain sight and we get a good look at everything, I think.

I found the text to be interesting, and it didn't tell the player everything, which is good as spelling everything out would hurt the atmosphere.  With that said though, I think you actually took it a little too far in that direction.  Subtlety is nice, but if the player doesn't have enough information to form any kind of a starting point at all, you run the risk of having things feel random or arbitrary.

The moment that stood out the most to me was probably when you shoot the other... mewtwo... thing to take its key.  My assumption of the meaning of the title "All Our Friends Are Dead" was that whatever events that transpired before the beginning of the game had killed off most of them, and the player was a survivor.  It could easily be something more abstract than that or even something with no literal meaning at all, serving only to help create the atmosphere, but I don't know.  I thought it was an interesting point in the game.

The ending felt a little abrupt and left me without any real feeling of closure.  Maybe this was intentional, but I still definitely would've still played through the whole thing if the game were twice as long... so I'll probably have to stick around and check out your followup game.

By the way, someone said earlier in the thread that this game reminded them of Giygas, and that made me realize that the protagonist actually has a pretty strong resemblance to Giegue (as seen here).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 02:01:51 PM by Curseman » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2009, 05:50:26 AM »

A lot of people do seem to love this game and it was requested that I review it for the front page, so will try it out. Will try to beat it before reviewing it.

Prelimilarily I like it a lot (atmospheric games are always my favorites) but it feels as some parts of the coding could be better. As a GM user myself, I recognize a lot of common mistakes. These are not things I'll bring up in the review, but just for suggestions for improvement:

- the bullets sometimes stop right before walls and don't hit what's next to the wall due to the speed of the bullet preventing the bullet from hitting the thing right next to the wall.

- sometimes you fall into spots you can't get out of, and can't die (I know there's a restart button for those situations, but it'd be nicer to not have such places at all, or at least always have some way of killing yourself in those places).

- you also seem to have every single resources in the GM file, which leads to long load times (loading things externally is faster and makes the game consume less RAM). It's taking up 462 MB of RAM for me, and using that much RAM can slow it down on computers which don't have much RAM. This is a very common mistake GM users tend to make, Glum Buster also did this.

- a verification that the game has saved correctly or loaded correctly might be good for polish reasons (like, just GAME LOADED or GAME SAVED flashing on the bottom of the screen after you load a game). different 'save slots' will also help a bit (similar to the way emulators do it, where the number key switches a save slot).

- a pause button would help for the times you want to leave the game and go to the bathroom or get something to eat etc. -- though i guess you can just save and then load when you come back if something killed you.

- bullets go behind platforms in the second "boss", making it feel as if your death came out of nowhere since you can't see the bullets when they're behind the platform you're standing on.

- i felt that the 'find the key for the door' mechanic is so overdone and cliche that it distracted from the atmosphere and reminded me 'hey, this is a game' rather than immersing me more into it.

will edit in more as I play more! hope these are helpful.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 06:28:38 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2009, 06:59:33 AM »

Review written, posted.

I kind of almost feel bad about posting games like this and glum buster to the front page though, cause of the negative comments about the games that are sure to follow. But I guess introducing the game to people who will enjoy it is worth the price of exposing the developer to haters at the same time? Maybe.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2009, 07:20:02 AM »

Question: what is the correct title (including capitalization) of this game?

All Our Friends Are Dead
All of Our Friends Are Dead
All of Our Friends are Dead

etc.

?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic