Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411604 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 03:02:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Randomized Pixel Art
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Randomized Pixel Art  (Read 9320 times)
Corpus
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 09:01:41 AM »

I used to do something like this in primary school Grin

I'd take a pencil and start scribbling away on a page, then once it was filled with relatively loose scribbles I'd draw over the existing lines more thickly to pick out any characters or interesting-looking creatures that'd been formed by the random shapes.
Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 06:35:29 PM »

I just found this thing which I made a year ago:

I put the pixels on a layer below the canvas and traced them. I thought I made another one, but I can't find it.

Kelsey Higham, student at SJSU
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 06:45:47 PM »

Imagine a competition to create a game solely populated by sprites found in a single image created by that generator. Animating them would be fun!

I LOVE the sound of that!
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 07:57:52 PM »

Alright guys, I'm official amazed!  Thanks Kelsey, this whole think fucking rocks!  Beer!

So, I decree that there must be a compo from this, pronto!  Also, we could pair it with a site that randomly generates harmonious colour palettes, and our entries would have to use characters (and terrain?) from the pixel generator and colour from the colour generator.

And even if we don't do that compo, I may just make a quick game that way anyway.
AndyWiltshireBPA
Level 1

BulletProofArcade.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 10:48:13 PM »

I'd take a pencil and start scribbling away on a page, then once it was filled with relatively loose scribbles I'd draw over the existing lines more thickly to pick out any characters or interesting-looking creatures that'd been formed by the random shapes.

Thats a brilliant way to create creatures/characters, I do the same thing sometimes.... scribble.. scribble... then discover the creature hidden within the scribble...

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 05:12:18 AM »

So, I decree that there must be a compo from this, pronto!  Also, we could pair it with a site that randomly generates harmonious colour palettes, and our entries would have to use characters (and terrain?) from the pixel generator and colour from the colour generator.

And even if we don't do that compo, I may just make a quick game that way anyway.

I'd be down for this. Game Maker's been sitting on my desktop for all too long; it's about time I played around with it, and this would make spriting a whole lot quicker. Anybody know of any palette-generation sites, then? I'm not entirely sure Kelsey's generator would work so well for terrain. I've had a brief look online, and the only thing I've been able to find is this, which generates top-down cave maps. Not particularly useful!

At any rate, I think Kelsey should make a game about a bipedal elephant with a koala on its back.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 01:35:54 PM by Synnah » Logged

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 03:14:36 PM »

Current devlog: Infinite Puzzles.
Competition entries: Wall of the Words.
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 03:27:42 PM »

Haha those are amazing. This is like those Rorschach/inkblot tests!

I can't tell whether the ghost is resting against the block or pushing it.

Rotate this one 90 degrees clockwise and ---- Well, Sigmund Freud would have something to say about what I see.  Embarrassed

Also, I can't load anything on the site except the background and a "red x". Do I need to install something for my browser first?
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 05:18:26 PM »

My brain does this with random patterns in linoleum. I can't stop it.

One of Richard Dawkins' books (which one? Dammit!) has a nifty little program he developed that generates little creatures. It's vector-based rather than pixel-based, but you could easily modify it to different purposes. The key is that it's recursive - the program generates a bunch of similar models, and you choose the one you like best, and then it generates a bunch of variations on that, and so on.

He wanted to demonstrate how evolutionary principles can generate complex designs, and it does that very nicely. In the book he has examples where he picked whichever shape looked most like a face, or most like an aeroplane, or whatever, and within a few generations the shapes being generated did indeed look that way.

I've always wanted to have a try implementing something like this. I wonder if there's a version of it online?

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 05:21:44 PM »

[googles]

The book was The Blind Watchmaker, the thingies were called biomorphs, and here's a software page: http://www.simonyi.ox.ac.uk/dawkins/WorldOfDawkins-archive/Dawkins/Work/Software/software.shtml

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2009, 05:27:17 PM »

This one looks good:
http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~sipper/biomorphs/evolution.html

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 06:51:35 PM »

ChevyRay
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2009, 08:07:52 PM »

These are excellent! Wonderful idea :D
Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2009, 08:55:15 PM »

This is pretty awesome, guys!

Also, I can't load anything on the site except the background and a "red x". Do I need to install something for my browser first?
The page relies on on data: URLs, which IE 7 and below don't support. Pick one of these. Gentleman

These are sweet  Kiss

The cheerful elderly reptile agrees that a compo would be swell. Should it be to create a game, or just to find a neat picture, or to find and animate a neat picture, or what?

Also, goose!

Kelsey Higham, student at SJSU
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2009, 09:26:16 PM »

I think the compo should be to make a short (under 5 minute) game based off characters (and possibly terrain) obtained from 1 random image.  And like I'd suggested before, we could allow a random harmonious colour palette generator to be used for colour palette; leaving things black and white could work just as well to.
whitespace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 07:32:55 AM »

I wonder if this works with music too,
I like the idea of procedurally generated music
but most of the works don't produce emotional response
in me. Maybe if the good parts in a random sequence
are handpicked ....
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009, 07:41:11 AM »

Has anyone ever stared at ceiling tiles or randomish patterns of floor tiles and played this game. Used to have a bathroom that was good for this.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
whitespace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2009, 07:52:29 AM »

Has anyone ever stared at ceiling tiles or randomish patterns of floor tiles and played this game. Used to have a bathroom that was good for this.

I think it's human nature to search patterns in, what at first sight looks like, random behaviour. Some of us are maybe more interested and look for it everywhere, but everyone I think has looked at the clouds in the sky and discovered what their fantasy brought up.

pareidolia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

apophenia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 08:05:23 AM by whitespace » Logged
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2009, 08:44:19 AM »

There are some mind-numbingly wonderful links in this thread.  I want to use this for... something!

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2009, 02:15:51 PM »

Okay, I found a couple of palette generators.

http://nine.frenchboys.net/palette.php
This one will generate 5 random colours. You could perhaps use these as the base colours for your palette, and then add a lighter and a darker version for highlight and shadow, along with black and white.

http://defmech.com/color/
This one is much closer to our needs, as it will create a palette of 9 harmonious colours. It only generates two distinct colours, with highlight and shadow, and three shades of grey, so it may be a little limiting to create a whole game using just those. Still, that could be part of the charm!

Now we just need a good method for generating tilesets, and optionally some kind of generative music; I know that a few guys on here have experimented with the latter before.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic