Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 02:17:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 602
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1964247 times)
p a r k b e n c h
Level 0

sanguine

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 12, 2007, 07:37:57 PM »

Howdy, folks.  This looks like a fantastic place to hang.  Kiss

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett
Genisi
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: December 13, 2007, 05:47:58 PM »

Sup guys. I've been cruising the internets for a while, and I figured that I'd come here, since I've been spending alot of time checking out the various indie games here.
kitty
« Reply #362 on: December 15, 2007, 12:28:14 AM »

Doesn't that make you kind of a nerd then?

Tongue
Only by association. It's other stuff that makes me a nerd.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: December 15, 2007, 12:35:35 AM »

So many manbabies in this thread. POST, YE LURKERS! DAMN THEE FOR NOT!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Biggerfish
« Reply #364 on: December 17, 2007, 05:54:44 PM »

Hi. I first started getting into game-dev after discovering Game Maker. I've been wanting to move onto other languages for quite a while now, but I either get bored with it, or run out of time. I can program better than I can sprite/draw/compose, but programming bored me sometimes, and I end up hating it, at least for a little while. I had been using Game Maker for a bit before I realised that there were these magical things called forums, where people from all around the world could come and contribute their knowledge by helping others and contributing their own creations. These things eventually made me internet-savvy, so I did not fall into the ways of the txt-talking teenager.

I found Game Maker while browsing the internet. I decided to download it and give it a try. My first real 'game' after learning from the tutorials has been lost for ever (which may be for the best). I get in the habit of not getting projects past the initial stages enough so I finish them, and if I do, I don't get enough feedback to make me want to work on the game. Lately, I've been trying to find things that motivate me, like competitions, and 2 hour game making duels, to encourage me to finish stuff.

I always enjoyed playing games as a kid, and I remember my first game being Pokemon Blue on the Gameboy (I feel so young). I've never actually played any consoles predating N64/GB, but from the sprites alone, I can tell I'd love them. N64 remains my favourite console of all time, especially since it's the only console me or people I know have with 4 controllers, which meant endless fun. N64 games have that atmosphere about them that makes them so much more playable that newer games. I think they feel less plasticy and shiny, and though they may not be perfect, or a bit clunky, they still come together as a complete package.

For a while I really got into RPG's and that, but started to find them boring and slow after a while.  I'd prefer a mindless shooter over a mindless rpg anyday. I've played Pokemon to death, to the point where I have tonnes of random, irrelevant Pokemon trivia in my head I can't seem to get rid of. Things like the Defence Curl+Rollout Combo or using Flame Wheel to unfreeze a pokemon, stuff you wouldn't even use in-game. I am blaming this knowledge as a stopping point for me cramming more stuff into my head, ie. other programming languages. I hate those games so much now.

I joined here because it seemed like a nice friendly place and a good place to talk about games and game development in general. Also, it's not inactive, empty and lazy.
Durruti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 19, 2007, 11:14:53 PM »

Hey there folks.

I'm a nerdy young Discordian anarchist from the Windy City of Chicago who is currently torn between whirlwind romances, writing several unfinished novels (and a couple of short stories), learning how the hell Python works so I can make a roguelike, and plotting the inevitable downfall of capitalism. My interests include books and internets and smashing the State.

Also, TIGSource is awesome and probably the reason I haven't yet dealt with the aforementioned To-Do List.

And on a somewhat related note, I adore the @ symbol as it has a clever double meaning as both the protagonist of many a roguelike and as a circle-A.
@
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: December 19, 2007, 11:21:55 PM »

Shocked A revolutionary without Che Guevara as his avatar!

Fuck yeah!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Durruti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 19, 2007, 11:29:11 PM »

Shocked A revolutionary without Che Guevara as his avatar!

Fuck yeah!
Having El Che as my avatar would be hella ironic considering he was a DIRTY COMMIE RAGHGKMHFDSKLGHDhgfkhdmghj.

Just kiddin', no disrespect to the Marxist brothers and sisters around here. Not sure if there are any, but hey, if there are anarchist hippie /b/tards, anything can happen.

Actually I've got Buenaventura Durruti up in my avatar. He could totally take Che in a fistfight any day.
Jolli
« Reply #368 on: December 20, 2007, 03:42:17 AM »

never posted on this thing

hi im some fish
i make indie games, i play indie games, i am indie... games
Tondog
Level 0

Weighted Companion Cube

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 20, 2007, 03:28:28 PM »

I'm Tony, and I've been visiting TIGSource for at least 6 months now and finally decided to start posting. Look forward to meeting all you.
charon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: December 24, 2007, 10:18:30 AM »

I'm a black hole filled up with swirling bright images and glitter.

I also go around in human shape and make games, but temporarily.

When I was a little kid, I made skulls from clay instead and sold them on the street.

knuts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: December 24, 2007, 11:50:44 AM »

Howdy all, I'm knuts - just found these forums a week or two ago while following RangerSheck around the internets.  I'm quite new to the indie game world, but I have have spent a lot of time on my hobby PBBG "WMD Tank Battle" and I recently played around with the Playground SDK a bit to see how hard it is to get started making an executable game.

In the real life, I'm a web software dev with less and less spare time to work on this stuff. It sucks.

WMD Tank Battle A free multiplayer PBBG.
difficultman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 24, 2007, 04:55:40 PM »

Hey y'all.  My name is Dave.  I'm from Oklahoma.  I pretty much work with game maker and I've been doing it for years but I've only as of now released one game.  I've only in recent months gotten into the indie scene and I'm completely enthralled by it.  I'm a laid back kind of guy with killer abs and a devil may care attitude.  Let's be friends.
Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 24, 2007, 08:49:11 PM »

This is the obligatory introduce yourself thread?

Aight then. Here goes:

I'm Dan, lasers are cool and so is the letter z, hence my interbutts handle. I've never really fiddled around with making games myself, but the excellent spawns of the indie gaming community are cool with me. I hate lolcats and was into 4chan a few years ago but now it sucks and some remnants of it wiggles it's way into my intertron coolguy speech from time to time. I'm pretty damn awesome and if you don't agree with me after you've had a taste I'll lay the pimp hand on you.

My favorite game is probably Yoshi's Island, though I don't oft play it anymore. I can't really package my gaming tenancies into one package so we'll just go with 'a little bit of everything.'

Oh and I draw stuff. Don't like babies? Neither do I.

Camdag
Pixelhead
Level 1

sauce

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 24, 2007, 09:19:55 PM »

My name is Camdag. I love to make game sprites, but I don't have the gall or ability to learn programming. I joined TIGF in the hopes of latching myself onto other peoples' game projects.
wolis
Level 0

Creator of cow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: December 27, 2007, 05:23:33 PM »

Hello all,

Just discovered this place, my name is Wallace and I have been playing games for a rather long time (started on old IBMs and C64s)

Ah.. such fond memories seeing some of those old game screenshots (thanks guys). Its so nice that all of those old things are new again.

For some inexplicable reason I really like games like Elite, Nethack, Spindizzy, Black and White.. you get the idea.

I have dabbled in graphics games (javascript/html/css is quite nice) but havnt finished anything yet and everyone else does it so much better than me..

..however I have made a rather spiffy multi-user text-based virtual world that I quite happy with so I dont need to make anything else now really :-)

Recently I became the proud owner of a tiny little phone with windows Mobile 6 pocketPC and have been overjoyed with the wealth of games I can run on it (like Elite, Nethack, the falling sand game etc..)

___  http://creativeobjectworld.com
/\___\ a free-form, text-based, browser-based,
\/___/ real-time, multi-user virtual world
Voodoo Master
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 28, 2007, 03:36:02 PM »

Hey everyone.

I've been following the indie scene for a year or so, and I found this site a few months ago. I "join[ed] the bloody forums already" like Derek said to (uh, can I call him Derek? Or do I have to call him Supreme Overlord Yu?), so now... now I'm able to post pointless things like this. I hope you're happy, S.O. Yu.

I have yet to release any games, but I'm always starting and never finishing them.
Making them, I mean. Well, I rarely finish any games I play either.

A final word: This whole "gentleman" phase hitting TIGSource? Monocles, top hats, gentlemanly mannerisms? I got interested in that whole concept long before you did. A few months. Like, back in October or something. See, I've always wanted to be a lighthouse keeper for many reasons:

1) "Lighthouses are built on interesting places on the coast..."*
2) I'd get to stay cooped up, away from the bustle of normal life and humans.
3) I'd get to be an enigmatic, mysterious person, rarely coming down to the closest town a few miles away.

But nowadays, lighthouse keepers are not needed. Ships don't even need lighthouses anymore. So what should I do? Go back to when they were needed. And, hey, I like Britain, so I'll go there too. Hmm... to emphasize my enigmatic-osity, I'll wear black clothes. I'll be cool and noble... mysteeeerious. Black clothes... top hat, I've always been partial to those... monocle, those things are great... those canes that can unsheath into swords. Short, white beard. Pipe. Quiet, watchful, mild look on face. This is looking pretty good.

Since that time I've aspired to become that figure. I have named him Mister Getts, because I like that name.

So to sum up, you've now got a rambling, somewhat disagreeable poster whose greatest dream is to build a time machine, travel through time to 1800s London, and adopt a new sword-fighting identity named, of all things, Mister Getts posting on your forums.

I hope you're happy.

* Bonus points to whoever knows where I got this line from. I keep a running list of all bonus points awarded, so you shall never be forgotten!

25 bonus points for Durruti!
Durruti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 28, 2007, 05:42:55 PM »

Man I just had to reply to this.

Or do I have to call him Supreme Overlord Yu?...
You should call him Nefarious Overlord Yu. (N.O. Yu)

1) "Lighthouses are built on interesting places on the coast..."
XKCD!
Voodoo Master
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 28, 2007, 07:48:32 PM »

...You should call him Nefarious Overlord Yu. (N.O. Yu)
Okay, then Nefarious Overlord Yu. Maximum Chlorine-Drinking Nefarious Overlord Yu.

...XKCD!
Correct, Durruti. 25 bonus points!

25 bonus points for Durruti!
Drew
Level 0

Hooray

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 28, 2007, 11:06:19 PM »

Hi, I'm Drew! TIGSource is pretty awesome. I've been reading for a while, but I'm a lurker by nature, so I didn't register for the forums until now. 

I've been gaming my whole life, but it wasn't until college, when I first played a lot of the games I missed growing up, that I discovered how much I love games.  Since then I've been trying to make my own games, although I don't have much to show for it. My desktop is full of folders upon folders of unfinished crap.

My favorite games are probably Super Metroid and Gothic 2.  Yeah, they're pretty dissimilar, but they are similar in that they are both awesome.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 602
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic