Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 05:01:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Latest Download (Update! M2 v.1.0.6)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Latest Download (Update! M2 v.1.0.6)  (Read 146219 times)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2008, 12:54:58 PM »

Haha, thanks.  Smiley

Here's a map I made in about 30-45 minutes. Feedback please!

Pretty sweet!  Again, it feels great to be able to play levels made by other folks.  Your map and Bobo's both have this hardcore platformer vibe to them.  It's really cool.

I've nearly beaten it. Wink

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2008, 02:59:18 PM »

It doesn't run for me, Allegro fault maybe, it says "could not set selected video mode", because my monitor doesn't support anything lower than 800x600... is there a way to set another resolution or make it run windowed?

edit: corpus said it is already windowed, but i see it makes a fullscreen test before starting...

oh, now i remember that i was having the same problem with cortex command, but it has a config file so i was able to set a supported resolution

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2008, 03:18:14 PM »

Read the Instructions -- it does have a config file, actually.  The weird thing is... it should be set to 2x Windowed by default.  Very strange!

Try setting it yourself, perhaps to 1x Windowed, or Windowed w/ Border.  Or 3x Windowed.

Also... do you have DirectX updated?

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2008, 05:14:49 PM »

did you bundle bobo's map with a newer version of the build?

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2008, 06:44:43 PM »

Good to see another TIGS project moving forward... there's plenty of room in this forum for the two of us.  Well, hello there!

Overall, the gameplay is great. The control feels really natural- perfect for this sort of game. Just moving about in the first part of the dungeon is fun- and if simple movement is fun, that's a good sign that the game will be fun.

Though I realize that the maps are still very much WIPs, I have a few specific criticisms.

- Jumping over 3-tile-wide pits was a little more difficult than I would like. This could just be a personal preference, though. Or I might just need more time to get used to the controls.

- In the warehouse, the electricity shot off randomly, as far as I could tell. It would have been less tedious to bypass if it was shot in a pattern.

- In the dungeon, it looks like you should be able to walk over the lava pit. It's a cheap death.

- The Game Over phrases are cute at first, but you die so often that they just get in the way, IMO. Instant reloading would save a lot of time.

- I couldn't flip the switch in the dungeon. Am I missing something?

- Is it actually possible to beat any of the levels, or am I just that bad?  Cry

Dragonmaw
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2008, 07:19:57 PM »

As I recall, only one of the default levels is "beatable". Boboland and Garbage Vents (me and Bobo's maps) aren't technically beatable, but collecting all the items is as good as completion, so once you've done that, you've finished the map.

Oh, and the switch in the dungeon can;t be triggered because there's no script for it, heh.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2008, 08:08:49 PM »

did you bundle bobo's map with a newer version of the build?
I think it's in the Maps folder of version 1.0.  But I'm not 100%.  (I could have made a mistake uploading it.)

Good to see another TIGS project moving forward... there's plenty of room in this forum for the two of us.  Well, hello there!
Haha, thanks.  But you do realize the Projects forum was started because of Balding's Quest... right? Tongue

Though I realize that the maps are still very much WIPs, I have a few specific criticisms.
Hm, I thought it was pretty clear in the post and instructions file, but I guess I'll have to say it again!  This is just an engine test -- the gameplay is entirely incomplete and most of the maps are just ripped tilesets.  Your criticism amounts to: "The stuff you haven't started working on isn't done yet." Lips Sealed

Except....

- The Game Over phrases are cute at first, but you die so often that they just get in the way, IMO. Instant reloading would save a lot of time.
That's also in the Instructions -- just press Enter on the Death screen.

Edit: Sorry, that last bit came off rather cold!  (I was having a nicotine fit at the time, no kidding.)  My thoughts were: "Grr, the Moderator of the Projects forum didn't even read the Instructions!"  But, yeah, sorry!

Re: The Three Tile Jump -- It was a big part of the original design that that jump be tough.  It's actually easier now; you can sometimes clear it entirely, without grabbing... But I might increase his run speed a little bit more.  (I just liked it when you *always* had to grab that ledge.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:06:37 AM by BMcC » Logged

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2008, 08:39:39 PM »

Okay!  I've made a development thread.

So people can start posting their maps and scripts and stuff there.  And we can organize collaborations and content for future updates.  (I'm going to start the Scripting Guide next!)

Gentleman

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2008, 01:08:29 AM »

Read the Instructions -- it does have a config file, actually.  The weird thing is... it should be set to 2x Windowed by default.  Very strange!

Try setting it yourself, perhaps to 1x Windowed, or Windowed w/ Border.  Or 3x Windowed.

i've tried almost all the combinations but nothing :\ even if it's in a window seems it tests for fullscreen before launching

Also... do you have DirectX updated?

i've the latest sdk installed so yes Tongue

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2008, 01:22:00 AM »

Very super strange!  It is my solemn vow that I will find a solution for this.

*calls Dan*

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2008, 04:08:30 AM »

Eclipse!  I have added four (4) video modes.  They all set the game to fullscreen at the desktop resolution, with the game in the middle at 1x, 2x, 3x, or 4X scaling.  HOPEFULLY this fixes the problem for you, but if it doesn't, hey, at least the game looks better on my widescreen laptop!

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2008, 07:14:31 AM »

Eclipse!  I have added four (4) video modes.  They all set the game to fullscreen at the desktop resolution, with the game in the middle at 1x, 2x, 3x, or 4X scaling.  HOPEFULLY this fixes the problem for you, but if it doesn't, hey, at least the game looks better on my widescreen laptop!

did you directly updated the archive on the first post? if so, it still doesn't work for me :\ if not, link where i can find it Tongue

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2008, 08:10:11 AM »

Build Updated to M2 v.1.0.1!

What's new:
- Fixed a crash!  (It was a script typo, of all things.)
- Added four new video modes (check the Basic Instructions).
- The Dev Editor overrides input for scripts now.
- Added a Guide Grid to the Dev Editor.  (Press PgUp/PgDn in Objects Mode.)
- Improved Guy's "Coin" collisions.
- Tweaked Guy's movement.
- Included mike's hilarious new Victory/Fail scripts.  (And restarting a map is faster now.)
- Included Bobo, Dragonmaw, and Xion's (tough) maps.
- Ripped Arne's Impossible Mission and Metroid tilesets.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2008, 09:40:40 AM »

Um, I like the current look much better than Arne's new high contrast version. Just saying.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2008, 11:36:36 AM »

I think it would be nice to have a gamma adjustment in the game. I run into this issue alot myself as Mac monitors tend to display darker colors MUCH clearer, but when you adjust things to look good on a mac monitor, most PC's color gamma will make things look really dark.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Corpus
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2008, 11:49:34 AM »

I don't see the difference between Arne's new high contrast version and the old one.

I am on a MacBook, though, and I've configured Windows to display on it similarly to OSX.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2008, 03:18:23 PM »

I found out that you had included the METest map and MEdge tileset in the milestone build the hard way. It overwrote all my work. And I didn't back-up  Cry
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2008, 03:44:50 PM »

Um, I like the current look much better than Arne's new high contrast version. Just saying.
Interesting...

I don't see the difference between Arne's new high contrast version and the old one.

I am on a MacBook, though, and I've configured Windows to display on it similarly to OSX.
Very interesting...

I think it would be nice to have a gamma adjustment in the game. I run into this issue alot myself as Mac monitors tend to display darker colors MUCH clearer, but when you adjust things to look good on a mac monitor, most PC's color gamma will make things look really dark.
Yeah, that would be good... but I don't think Allegro supports Gamma ramps!  (Could it be time to switch to SDL + OGL?)

I found out that you had included the METest map and MEdge tileset in the milestone build the hard way. It overwrote all my work. And I didn't back-up  Cry
Aw, man, the first casualty. Sad  I guess, from now on, put your WIP maps in a WIP folder and load them from there?  (Assuming the Directory code works the way it should.  I might have to fix something.)

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2008, 03:54:23 PM »

Yeah, that would be good... but I don't think Allegro supports Gamma ramps!  (Could it be time to switch to SDL + OGL?)

You can manually ramp your pixels when you load them, especially if you're using 8bit surfaces.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »

I just played this for a while - I love it! I haven't played a game like this in twenty years or so... and dying from a fall is something I haven't had to worry about recently.  Is there any fall-proof items? It would make it much easier to design levels around it.

I love the monocle laser most of all. 

What would I have to do, and to whom, to get a Mac version of the game?

twitter: @docky
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic