Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411550 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: spitcards

May 03, 2024, 06:57:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2635829 times)
Blambo
« Reply #8080 on: March 29, 2014, 01:21:32 PM »

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8081 on: March 29, 2014, 02:04:46 PM »

Whoa.  Kiss

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8082 on: March 29, 2014, 02:08:08 PM »

that character  Addicted
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #8083 on: March 29, 2014, 07:01:02 PM »

Looks awesome  Smiley

My Loathsome Cowboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8084 on: March 29, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »

ah, haha, sorry about that, guess i've been obsessing too much about economics lately. It's been pretty well recieved, very happy with the steam reviews. currently a 78% at metacritic but that's mainly because of one 6/10 review among many 8/10-ish ones. here's a mockup of a spectrum version,to stay on topic:)

I actually just picked up Teslagrad off Steam today.  Godspeed, man.  Hope you get to keep making stuff.

Here's a thing from the RPG I spend more time thinking about than actually making.  Hoping to change that soon, though.
olli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8085 on: March 30, 2014, 03:37:52 AM »

Thanks a lot, it's appreciated!really like the character designs and that intense shade of grass colour in your rpg battle mockup, it really pops!
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8086 on: March 30, 2014, 07:05:18 AM »

Here's a thing from the RPG I spend more time thinking about than actually making.  Hoping to change that soon, though.

Woah love the art style ! Both the characters and the UI, I don't know what it will look like in motion but it's tote fresh :>

}-=\\\',«º> Dev+artblog · Home on the web · @PolClarissou <º».\\\'=-{
Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8087 on: March 31, 2014, 09:38:47 AM »

Great... Except that white outline. Try to get rid of it!

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8088 on: March 31, 2014, 02:18:28 PM »

I actually like that white outline, seems like a cool stylistic choice

siskavard
« Reply #8089 on: March 31, 2014, 08:41:01 PM »

blambo that looks sick tight dope rad
sparkling vinegar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8090 on: April 01, 2014, 01:21:56 AM »

I like the character but I'm not a fan of the moon and clouds

I'm actually not a big fan of the character... soon an update I hope.

A new version....don't pay attention to the landscape. I only updated the character at the moment.

Better ? Worst ?

DEAD END - out on iOS Android & WP8
Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8091 on: April 01, 2014, 02:03:34 AM »

The added details definitely improve the readability. I couldn't help seeing the old one as Sam the Eagle from The Muppet Show.

I really like the painted look of this. I keep seeing the contact surface between the slimes and the ground as a plane facing me, though, as if they're lying sideways on the ground. Adding a cast shadow would definitely help. Maybe breaking the outline where the characters/slimes touch the ground would make them seem more connected to the scenery?

Here's a mockup I made using the arbitrary restriction of maximum five colors per tile. Also tried to keep the tile count relatively low.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8092 on: April 01, 2014, 02:08:23 AM »

Niiiiice but imo the characters are way lower quality than the tiles. Love those spikes.

Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8093 on: April 01, 2014, 02:36:37 AM »

Thanks! Yeah, I think it's mainly that the tiles are more monochromatic and thus better suited for color restriction. I found it much more difficult to make the characters look interesting using the same limitation, within the smaller areas especially.

Now that you mention it, I could have added an equally arbitrary sprite limit and used overlaid sprites to increase the color count. Food for thought. Smiley

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8094 on: April 01, 2014, 03:10:21 AM »

Yeah I find that with low colour count actors it's all about lighting, since everything else is basically lost, your characters (and items) there are a bit flat and low contrast, and really blend into the background; the shading when they're alone is pretty solid but in noisy context they fall short of your usual quality bar :^)

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8095 on: April 01, 2014, 06:50:18 AM »

I prefer the old version, it looks like something from an old grainy B&W movie. Don't know if that's what you were looking for though.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Blambo
« Reply #8096 on: April 01, 2014, 07:13:05 AM »

blambo that looks sick tight dope rad

sick dope sweet thanks
ty.static
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: April 04, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »

For fun...though if a developer wanted to take a crack at it..
Snow
Level 0

experienced gamer

View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: April 04, 2014, 08:15:51 PM »

Decided to move this post from unfinished game thread to here:

I'm not sure what to do with this:

Avi (of an older version showing movement - has a positioning bug. The movement in the game is tile-based - just like a roguelike): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13441474/Underworld/Corona%20Simulator%20Caverns%20and%20Rocks.avi

The idea started out as a simple 2d platformer roguelike/cave exploration game. Your little miner had a backpack that could only carry a limited supply of items - including ladder pieces. You had to find the exit and as much treasure as you can without using up all your ladder pieces.

I don't know if I'll ever finish the project. In the gif I tested out the concept using Corona in the iPhone simulator. I'm working on another project right now that will probably take another 1.5 years to finish, so this will be sitting on the shelf at least until then.

I was also starting to test out enemy ai (and had the enemy on the top layer to watch movement). Some of the enemies I had planned for the game included triffids eventually crisscrossing the entire level with vines that took hit points, a sand worm that would hunt you and generic enemies like skeletons, scorpions, bats, spiders, etc.

A pencil, blank paper and an empty room is all you need.
nicked
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8099 on: April 06, 2014, 02:24:33 AM »

Wheelbound Desert tiles work in progress:

Any ideas how to make a desert more weird and alien, and less generic?

Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic