Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411698 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58454 Members - Latest Member: roeyskatt

May 19, 2024, 06:17:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGumption & Folly
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gumption & Folly  (Read 5745 times)
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2012, 08:36:37 PM »

Hey guys,

Thought I'd start a new devlog for my latest project. Although Hiko Run still isn't finished it's pretty close. Last few weeks have needed a break from it so started this new game.

Software I'll be using is Flash and photoshop again (one of these days I'll actually move onto something else).

The game is meant to be partially stealth, puzzle game where each level is one screen and you have to move your character to the goal.

Guy is a government experiment, blank slate. So is perfect for disguises, which you can pick up at times to change your look and make your way past objects, enemies etc.

Still trying to get the game look the way I want. Want it darker and more moody then current design.

Current Title Screen

Level Design

We'll see how this experiment goes...

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »

Hey Franklins,

Sounds cool. Do you have a version ready to play?

For the visual direction, if you want moody, maybe you could play some more with light and shadow... given the government agent theme, disguises and such, maybe you could go for a retro spy aesthetic?

Maybe something like this would be cool (found randomly browsing concept art):

[source: http://turleysketch.blogspot.com/]

I don't know if this really fits the 8-bit direction, but it's moody.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:46:54 AM »

Also maybe: http://www.ollymoss.com/galleries/posters

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:54:19 PM »

Hey Ninja Dodo those are great, love the style and definitely makes me want to work on my look more. Those retro spy style ones are awesome. Going to have a play around and see what I can come up with. Did want to keep it pixel style cause liking that the current swf file is 155kb only. Also nice challenge since never really worked in this technique before.

Thanks again for the concept art though. Going to see what I can do with it Smiley

This link didn't work though.

Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 08:51:59 PM »

I really dig the art style. I think Ninja Dodo's suggestion is spot on. The the thing that's missing with the background is a sense of atmosphere. If you can give the background decoration or props to give it more of a sense of it being a real place, something that could tell the story of what it's about in a single screen. Similar to how the images Ninja Dodo posted feel like they tell a story.

I think you can still keep it simple like you have it, you don't necessarily need to have more "detail" or "textures", but when you layer on the attention to detail you get something that stands out and leaves more of an impression.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 09:04:59 PM »

Great point and definitely think I need to think about those things when I get around to fixing the look. At moment working on menus and all that boring stuff.

Do you have a version ready to play?

Also forgot to answer this but yep there is currently a working version. Not ready for uploading but shouldn't be to long.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »

Odd that the link doesn't work. It's loading fine here. You can find the same material if you image google "ollymoss". Guy does a lot of minimalist movie posters.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 04:04:33 AM »

Yeah that is odd, cause now it's working for me too. Must have been down or something for a bit. Like the designs and some of the posters I've seen before. Great style and definitely gives me more to think about so thanks again.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 11:43:32 PM »

Have implemented the level select and have it now working in game.

Progressing well.

Level Select

Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »

Great pattern for the level select screen background. It might be better give give LEVEL SELECT an outline or something to make it *POP* on the background. Looks kinda messy as is.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 06:29:41 AM »

Thanks Son of Bryce Smiley Am happy with how the level select background turned out, although should probably work on making the level select text more obvious as you say. Took hours to do the pattern the way I wanted but happy with the result.

Have incorporated roll overs for selecting levels and when one is completed its colour is changed when you go back to the menu. Letting you know which ones you've done.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 01:15:27 AM »

Been busy with wedding and life stuff so haven't had much chance to work on this or Hiko Run but have had some time to implement an idle animation state for the current character using timers. Looking and working pretty good so far.

Have decided not to mess with the graphics too much for now and just work on getting all the gameplay working. Afterwards I can easily replace and edit the graphics to however I decide to go with it.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 12:48:49 AM »

Implemented a text line at the start of every level. Not sure what it's going to be used for at the moment, maybe little clues for the level or instructions or even just a stupid one liner.

Mainly did it cause keep hearing about people using xml to setup game elements and wanted to see how I could setup a xml file and use it in flash. Wasn't too difficult which was good and think it's something really handy to know. Think I'll be trying to use it for other elements of the game or just keep it in my game library to use it in other projects. Also nice that I just have to edit the xml file instead of flash to change the text now.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 03:54:33 AM »

Have really slowed down with everything at the moment. Started a new job the other week so been pretty focused on that, which has meant no time for Hiko Run or Gumption & Folly. Also wedding is getting closer so planning for that and training for the trail walk I'm doing next month is eating the rest of the time.

Did get some time today to work on Gumption and have started trying to add in different layouts for mobile controls. Trying different options to see which works best.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic