Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 05:36:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMegabot 3D
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Megabot 3D  (Read 2705 times)
SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:08:38 AM »

Hello!

At first: English is not my native language, so please excuse typing errors.

This is my first project in Unity3D (for my previous games I used GameMaker).
This is remake of MEGABOT - a game by TaurusMedia.

WHY MAKE A REMAKE?

My purpose for now is to learn Unity3D. If I take an existing game mechanic, gameplay and level design, then I need to only make 3D models and set objects behaviours(scripting and programming).

I don't want to fully copy/clone the original game. Instead I want to extend this game and solve the main problems:
  • enemies not really visible because they are not contrasted with the background
  • bosses are very algorithmic, so they are weak
I'll try to solve these two main problems. Also this game was created with Gamemaker5 so it runs on WinVista and Win7 with some issues.

WHAT'S READY?
At this point I've completed the first level from the original Megabot game, some interface, main menu, some enemies. Also, in the first level of my remake I added some new secrets and extended the end of the level. Also I've completed two levels: beta and delta, but not any demo with them avaliable yet. You can only check FIRST LEVEL DEMO below.

SOME TECHNICAL INFO
Project name: Megabot 3D
Engine: Unity3D
Start Date: 12.20.2011
Approx Finish Date: August 2013
Developer: DIGITAL SYNTHE.SIS team
Platforms: Windows, Mac

Game page:
http://digital-synthesis.com/game/Megabot3D

Some screenshots (clickable):

Videos:
Delta Boss Battle:

Beta sector review:

Downloads:
FIRST LEVEL DEMO (Windows Version ~22mb)
FIRST LEVEL DEMO(Mac version ~29mb)

Extra info:
This game is just a fangame. So it's not commercial. All rights to music are reserved to IntiCreates, Celldweller and X-RAY-dogs. All rights to the game idea are reserved to CAPCOM and Sandor Fekete. That's all. So try it and enjoy!

CONCEPT ARTS
There is some of my drawing on megabot theme:

PROGRESS
This is my version of progress indicator. I'll publish new screenshots when I create new levels.

Each location will consist of 4 screenshots (like first location). You can click on screenshot to view full version.

FEEDBACK
I'd love to hear what's wrong with this demo. Maybe I forgot something from original game. Also I'm happy to hear suggestions on the game (for instance, how to extend this project from the original game).

P.S. Thanks to Franklins Ghost. Now my post won't look like a piece of shit.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:53:28 PM by SaintHeiser » Logged
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 07:36:30 AM »

Had a quick play of the game and have to say it's looking good. Didn't play for to long though cause my computer isn't really handling games very well at the moment. Will have to try it again when I've got it running better.

Really like the logo  Grin

ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »

If you have a demo why don't you publish it as webplayer? :-)

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 06:32:58 PM »

Man, I played the original MEGABOT years ago. It was pretty hard, if I recall. I hope you continue with this one, man - it's looking pretty good.

SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:16:57 PM »

I've not yet figured out how to do it. And I'm still afraid that I used too many polygons in the 3Dmodels. I don't know the situation with performance in Unity Web Player.
Also, the minimum screen resolution in this game is 800*600 pixels. Otherwise, the current version of interface does not fit on the screen.

Man, I played the original MEGABOT years ago. It was pretty hard, if I recall. I hope you continue with this one, man - it's looking pretty good.
Yeah! I've playing Megabot game every year since 2005. At the end of each year nostalgic absorbs me. IMHO this game is pretty close to perfect. So I'll try to save difficult of this game in remake.
ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »

I've not yet figured out how to do it. And I'm still afraid that I used too many polygons in the 3Dmodels. I don't know the situation with performance in Unity Web Player.
Also, the minimum screen resolution in this game is 800*600 pixels. Otherwise, the current version of interface does not fit on the screen.

In order to publish as webplayer, just choose "Web Player" in the Build Settings. In my experience, the performance of the webplayer is nearly the same as the standalone player, just try it out. Be aware that the Quality settings of the player is "Good", you can change that in "Edit -> Project Settings -> Quality". A resolution of 800*600 is no problem, just set this in the Build Settings -> Player Settings; you cn change this in the generated HTML, too.

SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 08:01:49 AM »

I updated first post.
Some concept arts added.
Added version for Mac and added WEB version(thaks to overhead). But I don't change quality for web, so in it's good. Consequently, you can see some pixelisation in the main menu.
SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 02:45:59 AM »

I add loading screen to Web Build today.
And added some process organisation yesterday. See first post - the level select image will fill with new screenshots in corresponded levels, when I make more locations.
SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 07:17:53 AM »

Added new screenshot of level select screen!
Also I've completed 1/3 of delta level and post screenshot in progress diagram.
SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 02:41:12 AM »

Second part of delta level completed! See level-progress diagramm and new screenshots on my site: http://digital-synthesis.com/Games/view/33
Last one part of delta level is left.
Also I added some extras from original game like battary and upgrade-chip.
But new demo isn't avaliable yet.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:06:12 AM by SaintHeiser » Logged
SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 07:11:03 AM »

Third part of delta level is completed!
To finallize delta sector, only Boss left! Check out game page and progress diagramm for new screenshots.

And there is some looking of Delta boss:

DELTA-OMNI...
...PREPARE TO DIE!
SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »

Delta level completed! Check the progress diagram and game page for new screenshots.
Game development satus is 20% now.

I'll add boss battle video later.
And delta level demo coming soon.
SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 12:57:37 AM »

Video with Delta Boss battle:

Also added in the first post.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 03:32:23 AM »

Boss fight is looking nice, game's really coming along really well  Smiley

SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 08:09:37 AM »

I don't give up with this project, but I took small break last month. Now beta sector in progress and I updated first post. Check out progress diagram with two new screenshots which show how beta sector looks=)
SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 07:34:44 AM »

Second part of Beta sector completed. Only boss left.
Check game page and progress diagramm for new screenshots.
Maybe I create small video with beta level in next few days. People like videos =)
SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 07:16:10 AM »

I start make beta boss today. Now completed his common look:

I special made not uderstandable images with bosses. So players who monitor this topic will surpised in real battles=)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:21:34 AM by SaintHeiser » Logged
SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 07:51:43 PM »

I create video(with text comments), which show beta sector:

Also level select screen works.
Beta boss AI very simple now, like beta boss in orgignal Megabot game. I'll improve it soon.
SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 06:51:15 AM »

I've completed beta sector. Now project progress about 30%. Check progress diagramm in the first post and game page for new screenshots! Also I update level select screen - chip upgrade system already implemented.

Now I'll take small brake about few weeks or maybe one month because of my studying. By the way I'll try to create small project in that time. So don't relax and just waiting for news!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic