Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 12:46:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsThe MONOCLE ENGINE
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: The MONOCLE ENGINE  (Read 67596 times)
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »

INFO: THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN REVIVED!
See:
http://bitcollective.ca/forums/index.php?topic=49.0
For more information

The rest of this post is out of date now...

Gentleman Greeetings fellow gentlemen (and gentleladies)! The following is a proposal that could be pretty damn awesome:

I want to build an open source engine that indies can use to develop a game for any platform. (based on rewritten components of the Aquaria engine) It would be centered around the TIGSource community and "branded" as such.

I need the help of my programmer friends (Tommy, Goldbuick, Ivan and others) to make this a reality.

I need the help of the community to offer suggestions, criticisms, advice and support - as well as eventually testing, building tools and making games.

I need the help of Mr. Jeff Lindsay for open source / code-hosting advice and managing a feedback page/forum.

I need (if this takes off) the help of Mr. Derek Yu via hugs and front page support.

The central goal is to handle common tasks that game programmers run into without enforcing too much hampering structure on the developer. Lightweight, flexible, simple and consistent are really important keywords in this endeavor. This will enable more developers to focus their time on developing a fully featured, innovative, artistic experience without having to worry about the nuts and bolts of setting up a window, rendering a sprite or getting input from the user.

Goals and Features
  • C++
  • open source
  • crossplatform (as many platforms as we can manage)
  • hand-written data structures for ultimate portability
  • hardware accelerated 3D rendering
  • light-weight, consistent, simple and flexible
  • rendering engine that supports both OpenGL and DirectX
  • flexible and simple action mapping system for managing input
  • GameObject and Component structure (similar to Unity)
  • update structure with support for plugging in a physics engine of the game developer's choosing
  • a series of test applications that will be used to prove cross-platform compatibility
  • community developed toolset (level editor, plugins, etc)
  • well documented with examples, tutorials and new project templates
  • a C++/MONOCLE newb tutorial so the most basic manbaby can jump into prototyping with relative ease

Key Platforms to Support
  • PC
  • Mac
  • Linux
  • XBox360
  • Wii
  • iPhone
  • PS3

This is a wish list. I have experience developing for most of these platforms, and my friends cover the others. However, the actual work of porting to various platforms will likely be farmed out to developers interested in developing for those platforms. The base code will be as cross-platform as possible, so it shouldn't be too difficult!

Milestones
TBD
If I decide to do this, I won't be able to launch into it full time until sometime after GDC. (things are super busy right now)

Realistic Expectations
This won't be an engine that does absolutely everything for you. But it will be an engine that saves you a lot of time getting started, provides a common base so you can port your game to various platforms and it will get out of your way and let you write the game code that you want to write.

This is the kind of project that will take time and patience. If we commit to this, we have to be ready to carry through on the effort over a long period of time. But you know what? It'd be totally worth it!

The Champion
One of the most important factors to making this work is having a game to champion the engine with. Ideally it would be a rising star from the TIGSource community who is likely to sign with XBLA or WiiWare who I can partner with to the develop the game via this engine. That would prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that the engine works and is perfect for use in developing indie games. It would also be a lot more fun!

The first champion would likely be a 3D hardware accelerated 2D game in a similar technical-visual vein as Aquaria. This would make it simpler to start the process. (i.e. we wouldn't have to worry about writing a 3D model importer)

I've got some good contacts at large companies now, so if you have a unique idea that needs code, this could be a really cool partnership.

examples: Verge - sexed up in HD for XBLA, Brandon McCartin secret project, others...?

Feedback
Let me know your thoughts on this! I haven't decided to commit to this yet, but I'm seriously considering it. Off-topic rants about programming languages and other unneeded comments will be removed.

Pseudocode
I'm going to be brainstorming in this thread over here.

Beer!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:36:50 PM by Alec » Logged

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 02:10:05 PM »

will I use C++ to program this engine
or some scripting language

Also everyone wants to make a game engine but they're really hard work and you have to be prepared to work for two or even three years to have something even remotely usable.

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »

That's quite a feat, but it shouldn't be too bad. I think the biggest thing would be getting everything to span over multiple platforms, but that's not exactly difficult just tedious and time consuming.

But definitely something good to think about and something that would draw a lot of focus to TIGsource and just indie gaming in general!  Smiley Hand Metal Right
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:12:35 PM »

cool stuff
our engine was directx based but we're doing an opengl renderer too, so i could help  Gentleman

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 02:14:07 PM »

will I use C++ to program this engine
or some scripting language

C++. If the community wanted to develop script engine hooks, they could do that.

Also everyone wants to make a game engine but they're really hard work and you have to be prepared to work for two or even three years to have something even remotely usable.

I made this: http://www.bit-blot.com/aquaria/

It took 2 years for the first release.

I'm a dude that finishes the things I commit to.

I am awesome enough to make this engine. Smiley (plus I get the help of the community, natch)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 02:18:54 PM by Alec » Logged

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 02:15:17 PM »

I hope that name is actually going to be used. I love it!

Really, really exciting idea. Smiley

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 02:15:36 PM »

cool stuff
our engine was directx based but we're doing an opengl renderer too, so i could help  Gentleman

This is the kind of attitude that proves that indies KICK ASS.  Gentleman

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 02:24:03 PM »

Well, as you know, I've been working on something very similar, but unfortunately I think I'd like to fly solo on it for now.

I'll help with whatever advice I can contribute though.

Beer!

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 02:28:47 PM »

Well, as you know, I've been working on something very similar, but unfortunately I think I'd like to fly solo on it for now.

I'll help with whatever advice I can contribute though.

Beer!

Awesome!

I know you've been working on an engine, but it seems like it'd be significantly different from this one. (I'm hoping I'm not stepping on anything you're doing by the way!) From what I understand yours is more LUA-based on the developer end and this would be more C++-oriented. (at least initially)

If I actually get into this, I'm going to be asking for tons of advice.  Roll Eyes

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 02:31:58 PM »

No, totally.. The more engines, the merrier!

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 02:35:33 PM »

a friend and i did this engine during 2007, got employeed at several software houses because of it, and we ended up using it professionally too in several cases Smiley

you don't need to be something special to do a good engine, you only needs to know how games are made, and i think Alec knows it  Smiley

examples: Verge - sexed up in HD for XBLA, ...?

i'm already wetting my pants. Xerus are you there? Wink
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 02:42:40 PM by Eclipse » Logged

Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »

Currently the second generation of the Goo! engine is Xbox, Wii, and PC cross platform with just a recompile, so I can help out with cross platform stuff and threading (of course). My part would be somewhat limited with the workload I have currently, but I'm a fan of engines.

Sex,

Tommy

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 02:41:48 PM »

It's possible to develop an engine alongside a game, and I would actually advise this kind of process, because it lets you know what works and what doesn't fairly immediately. The only thing is it's really really important to have an overall coherent design from the start so things don't get messy.

Most of my engine came from just putting all reusable code into one framework and making it as easy to use and reuse as possible.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 02:52:28 PM »

It's possible to develop an engine alongside a game, and I would actually advise this kind of process, because it lets you know what works and what doesn't fairly immediately. The only thing is it's really really important to have an overall coherent design from the start so things don't get messy.

Most of my engine came from just putting all reusable code into one framework and making it as easy to use and reuse as possible.

let's start with the UML love Grin

also: common syntax rules, doxygen compliant documentation for every class (even if minimal) and so on...

maybe we could open a section on the forum and then discuss about the design  Kiss

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 02:58:48 PM »

this would be really helpful for those people who are stuck using middleware programs like GM or MMF, as well as... everybody else

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 02:59:33 PM »

I 100% agree with this. If the engine is partnered to a really cool indie game, it benefits everyone involved. The engine will get more publicity because of the game, the game will get a bit more interest because of the engine. There's also the added benefit of financial support and having an actual test case with goals and milestones.

And I know there are a number of really talented folks on these forums who just need an engine to get their projects kick-started...

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »

this would be really helpful for those people who are stuck using middleware programs like GM or MMF, as well as... everybody else

I agree, I think it would be really cool to eventually ween people off GM by coming up with a user-friendly toolset for the Monocle Engine.

If we couple that with really good beginner C++ tutorials written by us, to teach the basic principles of Object Oriented Programming and the syntax with practical game logic examples, it'd be totally killer.

The-Imp
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 03:05:38 PM »

First, "Monocle engine"
Tiger Hand Thumbs Up Right

Second, "Verge - sexed up in HD for XBLA"
Panda Hand Thumbs Up Right

I like this idea, and would be really great for the indie community, seeing a TIGgame, or indie classic remade for commercial release would be awesome.

In short, I and, hopefully many others, approve.
Kiss
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 03:18:21 PM »

And I know there are a number of really talented folks on these forums who just need an engine to get their projects kick-started...
Ain't that the truth! :D

This could be excellent, especially with portability to such indie-friendly platforms in mind. Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 03:36:54 PM »

Addicted

Look forward to seeing what happens with this. I'm not sure if I have time to contribute, but maybe if it helps for people to be developing games with it while you work on it, I could do that at some point!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic