Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411621 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 08:37:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsUnity3D: Video Tutorials by Alec
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Unity3D: Video Tutorials by Alec  (Read 67382 times)
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2010, 12:46:52 AM »

I can't wait to begin these tutorials (again)... I have Unity burning a hole in my desktop, waiting to be used! But I have a game to finish first. Whatever you do don't stop making these ok?   

On STEAM »
Eraser
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2010, 03:17:59 AM »

Huh? No realtime engine does true raytracing. But you can make walls cast shadows and stuff...

Only in Unity pro though.  Cool

Unity 3.0 is going to have crazy fast lighting options (deferred, and crazy shadow mapping stuff)
Ah yes, I forgot to tack on "free" to my post. It's kind of a let down because I was thinking of creating an adventure game, but I think the atmosphere of the game would be ruined by the fact that there's no real time lighting, so objects the player moved wouldn't cast fun real time shadows...
RabTom
Level 0

Programmer Extrodinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2010, 01:53:49 PM »

Although not the same, you could always use lightmaps + blob shadows. Gentleman
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2010, 01:54:18 PM »

3.0 is going to have insane lighting options.

Eraser
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2010, 03:31:50 PM »

3.0 is going to have insane lighting options.
But still, not for us freeloaders.

Although not the same, you could always use lightmaps + blob shadows. Gentleman
... No thanks. Those shadows are to "bleh".
levelbylevel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2010, 07:58:31 AM »

Alec, your tutorials are ace, they've massively helped me get started with Unity Smiley

Just a quick question about your environment, since you seem to use javascript for all your unity goodness and are on a mac like myself, do you ever use an external application for code editing? I can see from your videos that you use the unitron editor, but just wanted to see if you used any other editors when not doing a tutorial. I'd really like to have code completion for the unity framework but other than switching to c# I can't see how this can be done on mac.

Thanks for the awesome tutorials :D

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2010, 06:12:27 PM »

I use TextMate, it's pretty rad... doesn't really have code completion though.

The Flashbang guys hacked up a CRAZY code complete solution, it involves emulating Windows and stuff though. :|

http://technology.blurst.com/unitydevelop-javascript-editor/

Nothing wrong with using C# btw.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2010, 03:18:05 AM »

I use C# and MonoDevelop. I get awesome code completion and stuff.

PlayMeTape
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2010, 03:25:46 AM »

I love C#. Plus it's not that hard to apply what Alec is showing to C#, I've found it easy to use both C# and javascript in Unity.

There's a few differences that you'll soon learn. Most importantly I've found is:
Code:
GetComponent("Type");
in javascript
and
Code:
GetComponent<Type>();
in C#.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2010, 03:29:27 AM »

In javascript it can also be

GetComponent(Type);

i.e. no quotes necessary

levelbylevel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2010, 03:51:36 AM »

I've taken a look at TextMate before, it gets great reviews, it seems a little costly for a text editor (a little under €50) though, is it worth it do you think? (might be a silly question since you already bought it :p)

I've got no problems with C#, it's a great language (had a blast with it a year or so back making an XNA game), I'd planned on learning Unity with Javascript but code-completion is a biggie for me so think I might just give the C# + MonoDevelop combination a go.

Cheers Smiley

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2010, 04:56:25 PM »

TextMate is insanely powerful. It doesn't do code-completion for Javascript AFAIK, but it has a ton of useful little features.

Useful for more than just Unity too. (obviously)

levelbylevel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2010, 01:04:19 AM »

I'll maybe give the free trial a go (though I'm a little scared I might really like it and be down €50  Hand Money Left )

I fired up my windows box last night to give C# (with VS2008 Express) a go, loved it from the start and spent the rest of the night converting over my project to C#. It meant having to replace the messenger function you use in your tutorials with the CSharpMessenger Extended [Link] system I found on the unify community wiki.

Seeing as I spend most of my time on mac though I copied the project back over and ran it with Monodevelop, was much easier than I'd anticipated since Monodevelop let's you open the .sln file unity creates. I'm a happy programmer now Smiley

Cheers guys for your suggestions Beer!

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2010, 01:12:20 AM »

Sweet. Smiley

deathtotheweird
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2010, 02:21:43 PM »

Just thought I'd mention this UnityScript Editor (javascript) over on the unity forums:
http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=51129
windows only, I'm afraid. I think it's a better solution than the flashdevelop hack if you're using javascript in unity.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2010, 04:18:23 PM »

whoa, i gotta check this out. Smiley

increpare
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2010, 06:39:05 AM »

Just running through these tutorials now.  They're proving helpful.  Thank you : )
kessler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2010, 10:53:36 AM »

Alec great tutorials man. I will fiddle with this when I get home. Thank you for sharing.
brian
Level 0

WHOAAA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2010, 01:36:29 PM »

With regards to MonoDevelop and C#, it's really going to be worth switching over more than it already is when 3.0 comes out, they're adding in support for MonoDevelop breakpoints and debugging which is a really handy feature. I think in general it's good to switch to C# as soon as you're comfortable as it makes using .NET features much easier as well as all the benefits C# has to offer, like delegates and events and whatnot.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2010, 01:41:32 PM »

Oddly enough, I've never run into a case where I've wanted a debugger for Unity. Shocked

I guess I'm lucky. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic