Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 08:24:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsUnity3D: Video Tutorials by Alec
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Unity3D: Video Tutorials by Alec  (Read 67343 times)
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2010, 04:39:42 AM »

Not at the moment, i'm at work. Pretty sure i'd have just done the default though whatever that is.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2010, 04:40:38 AM »

Well the first step would be to find your Unity folder. Then go to the right subdirectory and look for the file there.

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2010, 04:57:19 AM »

I'll have another look when i get home, maybe i installed it on one of my other drives. I did think i did that, but thinking about it now i may have found the folder of the unity editor linked earlier in this thread.
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »

Haha, i installed unity on my f drive and the unity editor on the c drive, so the usual unity editor path was perfect on the c drive but i hadn't twigged that it wasn't actually where unity itself was installed. I must have been having one of my senior moments. I'm only 28, but they happen increasingly often recently! Thanks for the help Alec.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2010, 08:07:20 AM »

I'm "rebooting" my tutorial series, focusing on Unity 3.0 and getting back to the basics of scripting. (hopefully helping some folks who haven't done programming before)

kessler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2010, 11:03:46 AM »

Thanks Alec!  Beer!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2010, 11:06:09 PM »

Don't know if I said it already, but you seem to over-explain things. Kinda annoying and I end up skipping a few minutes and you're still talking about that damn cloth.

I'm glad you're making them though, but if I was new to Unity and saw these videos I'd lose patience and try to find something better and less wordy.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2010, 07:26:46 AM »

Wow.

The point behind this was to assume the person watching hadn't used Unity before, so I was going out of my way to intentionally explain things more than once.

I've found that in my other videos, when I explain things once, people are like "WHOA you're going too fast".

Sooo

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2010, 07:38:45 AM »

Your tutorials all seem oriented towards brand new beginners, so I think the slow pacing and repetition is intentional and totally justified. Unfortunately that means I don't really get much out of the tutorials but I'm already quite familiar with the basics so I'm not exactly the intended audience.

Also, BARLGALGRLHARHLGLH I want Unity 3.0 to come out...

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2010, 08:14:13 AM »

Yeah i definitely found them pretty useful first time i got into unity. Some things were explained that i already knew coming from other oop languages, but you never went overboard on any one subject as far as i remember.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2010, 01:13:19 PM »

Since there are people who are totally confused about basics and people who are fed up with me explaining basics, I'm gonna split this new series into two different streams.

Info: http://infiniteammo.ca/blog/tutorial-tuesday-reboot/

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2010, 10:18:28 AM »

As you asked for suggestions on topics on the blog, how about a tutorial on controlling animations. Not just getting them to play, but the different ways to blend and layer them. And maybe an example where two different animations are working at the same time on a character, like legs doing one thing, and upper body doing the other.

This suggestion is totally not self-serving though, i definitely am not about to have to try and figure those things out and want an easy way out Cheesy

I like the noob/intermediate split too.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2010, 10:15:14 AM »

Alec, you are the man. I've watched some of these tutorials and it has helped out with my Unity development considerably. I'm working on my own C# project at the moment, but I've always been planning to get deeper into Unity. Keep it coming, your work on these videos is a boon to the indie community.

For my part, I would like a better framework for using coding to assemble elements into a working game. This might actually be covered by some of your later tutorials. (I've only watched some of the beginning ones) I'm totally stoked about the 3.0 upgrade, and can't wait to see how it affects development. I've been working with Monodevelop on my C# project, so I've gotten some decent practice with that software. Having Monodevelop integrated into the Unity pipeline will help my coding considerably.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2010, 10:16:30 AM »

Yar, MonoDevelop is pretty sweet. (couple rough edges, but nothing too serious)

antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2010, 01:18:16 AM »

Hei I know you! Your'e that guy who looks like my friend and has those cool tutorials I was learning from 3 months ago.  Who, Me?

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2010, 01:48:21 AM »

*high fives*  Gentleman

Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2010, 06:04:13 AM »

Please continue this series. These have been really helpful. Smiley

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2010, 09:30:42 AM »

I second the going faster thing. The only things I learned from the video is that Unity deploys to many quirky platforms and has cloth physics, and neither of those are particularly useful for me to know as a beginner.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2010, 09:31:15 AM »

Have you watched any of the other ones?

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2010, 09:32:09 AM »

Are they still relevant in Unity 3.0?

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic