Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 08:15:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElysis (Topdown Action Adventure)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Elysis (Topdown Action Adventure)  (Read 95234 times)
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: May 22, 2014, 09:39:18 AM »

There has always been a main weapon and sub weapon section, but I only recently split them up.
Also, yeah, just one main weapon, but that could definitely change as I get more items in.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: June 04, 2014, 09:39:56 AM »

Some choice shots

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: June 10, 2014, 11:26:01 PM »

I've just been working on some potion stuff recently.

Right now, potions are a one use item and you have to have it equipped. As soon as you use it, it's gone from your inventory.
You could just have your regular layout, and then as soon as you need a potion, you just pause the game, equip potion, unpause, use it, pause the game, then re equip to your standard layout.

It just seems like too much of a hassle to the player to have to fumble around the inventory like that, so for now, I'm treating potions more like other items, trying to give them the same flexibility, meaning that they'll have their own addons so they're not as simple as chug this to recover. They also won't disappear from your inventory, hopefully instead, being useful enough to keep in there.

Some addons names I'm messing around with :
Stat increase
Element Match
Charge Siphon
Charge Overdrive
Death Breaker

In the end, I'll probably end up getting rid of standard potions altogether in favor of something that will keep the combat flowing and give it a little more depth.

Here's a mockup of some potion stuff and HUD stuff I didn't implement yet

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 11, 2014, 02:59:11 AM »

Element Match?
Elemental match?
Summon a huge elemental being with which you have to duel and if you win he serves you?
Pin two huge elementals together, watch them fight and place bets?

Death Breaker?
Breaks you death, as in, when you die you survive with 1 life?
Breaks death, as in, it literally breaks the undead apart?

You can make potions matter more, so that going into the inventory and using a potion is a lot less "tedious". By that I mean you give the player less of them and you make him think when and what potion to use. (which I hope you're doing with every item/weapon you got, instead of them all taking a similar bashing function)

Also, personally I never was the biggest fan of zelda bomb explosion animation, with it exploding into this weird circles. But I'm guessing that's just a placeholder.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: June 11, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »

^ That's an interesting idea - potions that do something related to the name, but not always the same effect. Perhaps it's randomized, or perhaps it does different things depending on if you use one on yourself vs against someone else (if you have the ability to throw potions, anyway).

I like the idea of potions giving you better abilities or advantages, though it seems like a quick-heal ability or potion would be a good idea still. Unless you can get hearts from enemies.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: June 11, 2014, 05:52:01 PM »

I've decided to just get rid of potions altogether.
You will still be able to recover using the appropriate addons in combination with sub weapons, but at the expense of equipment space.
Recovering health will be more skill based instead of having to hoard items.
You'll have a limited amount of uses for a recovery burst which can be replenished as you fight monsters.
You'll be able to use addons to strengthen these bursts so that they affect you in different ways like giving you elemental resist for a certain time or unlimited mana usage.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2014, 10:44:31 PM »

Submitted to Indiecade.
Excited, Have a gif.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's game there.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 16, 2014, 06:51:09 PM »

I've never worked on a top-down like this, what are you doing to determine which direction the enemies are being propelled when they're getting hit?

qwertyhim513
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 18, 2014, 12:57:59 PM »

Cry Sad to see the potion system go... Anyways, since there are no potions, is there any chance of perhaps a poison *cough*fire*cough* system to add a little more punch to damage. I would love to wield a flam-I mean poisonous sword into battle.  Well, hello there! Elysis is looking good.  Kiss
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: June 21, 2014, 12:40:46 PM »

I've never worked on a top-down like this, what are you doing to determine which direction the enemies are being propelled when they're getting hit?
I use Construct Classic, so your results may vary.
For each sprite, there are hotspots on specific points on the sprites.
When a weapon and enemy collide, the enemy is pushed away at the angle between those two hotspots at a certain force.
Typically an enemy's hotspot is in the center of the sprite.
For a sword, the hotspot is at the handle; for a bomb, the hotspot is in the center and for an arrow, the hotspot is at the back end of the arrow.

Cry Sad to see the potion system go... Anyways, since there are no potions, is there any chance of perhaps a poison *cough*fire*cough* system to add a little more punch to damage. I would love to wield a flam-I mean poisonous sword into battle.  Well, hello there! Elysis is looking good.  Kiss

Yep, I've already been playing with some status effects and the appropriate addons.
Potions as consumables may be gone, but I'll have something that I think is much better.

Also, here is this

Listen to this song from the game at the same time
https://soundcloud.com/iyashikei/shop-theme

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2014, 01:19:58 PM »

The shop looks really charming, I love the shopkeeper's hair. Does he wake up when you talk to him?

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 23, 2014, 02:22:49 AM »

Also, here is this

Listen to this song from the game at the same time
https://soundcloud.com/iyashikei/shop-theme

('v')

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: June 24, 2014, 12:30:57 PM »

I got around to making the tileset for the shop.
I also got it so that you can buy and sell items.
Next is to make a shop in the actual game along with a town.

The shop looks really charming, I love the shopkeeper's hair. Does he wake up when you talk to him?
It is a mystery

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: June 25, 2014, 07:41:12 PM »

Looking at this image, it occurs to me how tricky it must be to get the perspective right when doing a top-down game.

The things in the corners are columns viewed from an angle?

In any case, I agree with Lucas - the shopkeeper's hair looks sweeeeet.

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 26, 2014, 02:01:35 PM »

I got around to making the tileset for the shop.
I also got it so that you can buy and sell items.
Next is to make a shop in the actual game along with a town.

It is a mystery

It would be really cool if the shop is some high end armory with ridiculous prices but the bird will sell things to you at an affordable price while the shopkeeper is asleep.

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: June 26, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »

It would be really cool if the shop is some high end armory with ridiculous prices but the bird will sell things to you at an affordable price while the shopkeeper is asleep.

Ha, I love this idea.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2014, 11:09:01 AM »

Looking at this image, it occurs to me how tricky it must be to get the perspective right when doing a top-down game.

The things in the corners are columns viewed from an angle?

Yea they are.
I feel like it's pretty tricky sometimes.
I've worked on maybe 15 of these tilesets already and some are still pretty awkward.
Some turn out good though.

I think the tileset got a little confusing because of all the straight lines, so I tried something different to give it a somewhat better sense of depth.
I'm not completely sure if it worked, it might just be the color choices fighting over each other.

Ha, I love this idea.

Shopkeeper bird, pet person.

PiedPiper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 03, 2014, 03:12:35 AM »

I really dig the simplistic art style, it actually is the hardest style to make look organic.
One question: will Elysis be closer to Link's Awakening where the dungeons are reavealed gradually, or to the original Legend of Zelda where you can choose whatever dungeon suits you as long as you think you can handle it?
laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: July 03, 2014, 05:02:13 AM »

I really like the idea with the bird. Or maybe the bird grabs on to you and flies you to a secret black market in the woods...

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: July 03, 2014, 05:08:00 AM »

I really like the bird, but what if it was totally different?

I hate you tigsource.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic