Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 04:49:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEthios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Ethios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes  (Read 99490 times)
Dr.Electro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2013, 09:10:53 AM »

your output is impressive.. do you work full time on your game?

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2013, 06:27:19 PM »

Pretty much, yeah.

Started working on the music mechanic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFEXfy3VxEA&feature=youtu.be
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 18, 2013, 02:19:53 AM »

Mc, just because I'm a curious bastard, are you self taught or got a formal teaching in anything? You excel much in every aspect. Would be amazing to see your work with a capable team.

Yeah.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: March 18, 2013, 03:47:55 AM »

Been a while since I checked in on this project, the new characters are looking really good in those beauty shots,

Re: the environments, they really annoy me because they are so close to looking really good but there's just small things not right about them, I want to just open your unity project and fix them but I cant.

Judging purely off the screenshots you've posted I think the main problem is the leaves are too dark (realistic) where the rest of the game's theme is quite bright/pastell and also that they have lots of busy texture about them where they could look much better if they where more flat and pastel colored like the characters are

Also, this is probably mainly unity's fault, but I think the lighting is giving away the polygonal geometry in a bad way, the first thing I would try is just raising the ambient light level to get more of an unlit look, but that might not suite what you are needing in the game (day night cycle for example)

Yeah, anyway, good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress!

Zoe Coleman Music
Level 1

Composer based in Brighton, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2013, 07:37:43 AM »

Wow I really love the art style and the character design - let me know if you're in any need of some music!

Website | Soundcloud | Twitter |

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2013, 04:11:02 PM »

Eyeliner - I'm self-taught, mostly just winging it as I go.

Zoe - Thank'eh! I'll definitely keep you in mind

Jackson - Thanks for the feedback; I need as much as I can get. Can you point out exactly what you're talking about with the lighting?

I've also redone the leaves again, using Skyward Sword as a reference, as well as messing with some colors in the environment as a whole:

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2013, 05:42:33 PM »

aww don't know if skyward sword is a real reference here Sad that's not one of their best things, anyway really good works :D

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 02, 2013, 08:53:35 PM »

Working on the first level. There are some new, flowery red trees that are being worked on as well. I think the flowers need to be smaller.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 05, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »

Had an idea for the textbox design:

poe
« Reply #189 on: April 05, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »

<3
Atrus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 07, 2013, 03:01:35 PM »

Dat GUI  Blink Blink
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »

Yussss.

Messing with the water and colors and junk. Also threw on some lightmaps:

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: April 10, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »

looking gooood Well, hello there!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2013, 03:52:52 PM »

Pretty slick water. I like the purple color at the waterfall.

I think the trees could use some AO map on the branches. The overall color of the grass seems pretty dark.

Anyway, great work!

helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2013, 08:01:40 PM »

Had an idea for the textbox design:

The textbox looks pretty, but the color hurts my eye after staring at it for a bit. I'm not very good at color combinations, but maybe you can change the color yellow to something less bright? Wonder what it looks like if it's semi-transparent.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 13, 2013, 12:06:15 PM »

I also need some opinions on how to display the text. (colors, outlines, extra stuff, etcetera)
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: April 13, 2013, 02:32:18 PM »

I like the old one better. The high contrast on the TIGS forums makes almost anything look too intense. Can only really be judged in context, ie fullscreen in-game. Personally I don't think it was too bright.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 17, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »

Perhaps I'll include both via thorough UI customization options.

Speaking of which, HUD:

Upper left has your hitpoints spiraling inward and the character switch display, lower right will be the item list, which you'll interact with like the one in Metal Gear Solid.

Also, here's a video of Ellie's Parry skill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao_NkMkTn9c&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:11:32 PM by McMutton » Logged
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 20, 2013, 01:21:25 PM »

Had an idea about expanding the combat system by replacing the simple, charged heavy attacks with equippable Combat Arts.

Combat Arts are powerful skills that gain strength through use. When they reach a certain point, you'll gain access to a more advanced form (Though the weaker forms are still available). A Combat Art, when equipped, takes up a number of Skill Slots equal to its level if you want to equip more than one.

You start with a single Skill Slot attached to your normal attacks, and can unlock more via increasing your Hero Level (Done by defeating enemies for Hero Points). Once you unlock more than one Slot, you’ll be able to Combo your Combat Arts, as long as you’re able to equip more than one. There are separate Skill Slots for Aerial, Ground, Dodge, and Dash Arts.

If you have more than one Slot and equip multiple Combat Arts, you can perform a Combo. When performing the first Combat Art, press the Attack button with the proper timing to perform the next Art in the Combo. Each successive Art in a Combo is slightly weakened.

You learn new Combat Arts from the person who created it, or by observing powerful enemies.

The stuff you can do as you level up includes:
        -Extra Skill Slots
   -The ability to attack while dodging
   -The ability to attack while dashing
   -The ability to use Combat Arts while airborne
   -Increase the amount of successive dodges you can perform
   -The ability to dodge while airborne
   -Advanced recovery moves

I'm unsure about what to do when you level up, though; should I allow the player to choose an upgrade themselves, or attach certain upgrades to certain levels, like Psychonauts?

Also, combat can be taken a step further by elementally enchanting your weapons. Each element would have a similar function to the ones in games like Sengoku Basara or Koei's Warriors games.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 17, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »

Got around to the Facebook page that was just sitting around stagnating. You'll find more updates over there, probably.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic