Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411710 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 05:47:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)itt: good character designs
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: itt: good character designs  (Read 149890 times)
The_Ulf
Level 0

The_Ulf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: May 03, 2012, 08:09:29 PM »

I think that they are fantastic redesigns. Valve walked the fine line of making sure they are instantly recognizable to a DotA 1 player but without being slavish copies.

I just don't see why 'recognizable to a DotA player' is a priority when even ownership of the name 'DOTA' is in question, legally...

It's subjective to be sure, but I still feel like Valve really didn't try on some of them.  I absolutely love some of their more original character work (like the incredible Nightstalker), but the one's that are still similar are treading dangerous waters - especially when the models they're based off of are prominent/named characters in the Blizzard IP lore (I'm looking at you, Grom 'Axe' Hellscream).

As an 'aspiring' (read: not really that good) game designer and artist, it makes me uneasy to see an industry leader engage in what I'd consider artistic theft and set such a dark precedent for our craft...

They did change the characterization when it fell too close to Blizzard lore, like Earthshaker.

I think it is utmost importance they they make the characters recognizable to DOTA players, since DOTA2 is effectively DOTA with better graphics.  For a MOBA, having a strong competitive community is totally key to success, and they're pretty obviously trying to get the existing DOTA community onboard.  The last game to attempt a DOTA-esque MOBA (HoN) didn't do fabulously, so I can understand a company treading close as they can to DOTA.

Having played HoN during its beta, I kinda think one of the reasons it didn't do too hot is because it tried to stick so closely to DotA.  When it comes down to it, DotA was an amazing map/mod when compared to all the other maps/mods for WC3:TFT, but once it has to stand on its own legs as a complete game in its own right it has issues.  I really don't have high hopes for DOTA2, if my obvious bias was't clear xD

But that's more than enough pessimistic ranting from me!  I haven't contributed anything yet, and I don't think anyone else has mentioned them so I'll say I really love the art direction and design of Three Ring's Spiral Knights:

The One The Only The_Ulf
JWK5
« Reply #321 on: May 11, 2012, 05:58:35 PM »

SuperMistLand
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: May 13, 2012, 02:47:53 PM »

Skronked's stuff is radical. I love how Adventure Time feels like a "bad" sketchbook drawing turned in to a real world.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: May 18, 2012, 02:00:07 AM »

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 18, 2012, 02:23:02 AM »

Kiss
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: May 18, 2012, 03:31:57 AM »

Is that a new design for Eva-02? It kinda looks different but I can't put my finger where.

Btw, are the new movies worth a watch?
ink.inc
« Reply #326 on: May 18, 2012, 03:39:52 AM »

i'll let you decide for yourself
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:51:17 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #327 on: May 18, 2012, 04:04:43 AM »

the animation is so good i could cry

you can see a lot of unit 02 in this clip especially:

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: May 18, 2012, 04:15:46 AM »

Checked the wiki, I assumed all the movies were over already, since I've been waiting on them for years now. I'll just keep waiting until they're over and watch them in a row, in an all night session with some friends over or something. Still, can't say I'm a big fan of the CG.

Also who the hell is that girl and why is she piloting 02-- wait don't tell me, but seriously I just assumed they were going to tell the old story in movie form.

Also waiting on the Berserk movie DVD
ink.inc
« Reply #329 on: May 18, 2012, 04:54:58 AM »

Still, can't say I'm a big fan of the CG.

Yeah, neither am I. It's easy to tell when the traditional EVA animation is replaced by CG; the highlights/animation are TOO smooth/perfect... ironically enough. If it was all one or the other, it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but the lack of consistency is irksome.

Oh well. I'll just ogle over this pencil work till EVA 3.0 comes out...

I legitimately like Bayonetta's design:

Travis Touchdown:

Vash the Stampede:

Auron:

(i'm a sucker for those red coats)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:21:15 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: May 18, 2012, 05:04:45 AM »

I feel like red is really out of fashion these days, after it's been so overused in the 90's.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 18, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »

i would be willing to see the evangelion movies but i don't think i could stand the humans

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: May 18, 2012, 05:20:31 PM »

I legitimately like Bayonetta's design:

I like Bayonetta, too, including those ridiculously long legs. <3
TrampolineTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: May 18, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »

I really like Urgot's design.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: May 19, 2012, 12:24:57 AM »

Urgot's design.

iffi
« Reply #335 on: May 19, 2012, 11:22:32 AM »

i would be willing to see the evangelion movies but i don't think i could stand the humans
Same - they annoy me to no end, though I suppose that was kinda the point.
knotty spine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 19, 2012, 08:47:08 PM »

Good pick. I like those little horns they gave her.

Been playing a lot of Soulcalibur V lately. Raphael's design is really tight this time around, it's the best he's ever looked:

I didn't have any particular affinity for or understanding of this design when she debuted in Soulcalibur III, but now that she's been axed altogether (well, her style is in the game), i'm looking back with a newfound fondness:

This has some pretty neat concepts behind it that my 13 year old self was not aware of. Background story and design notes pulled from the wiki:

Quote from: Background story
Setsuka was not a native of Japan. She had pale, milky-white skin, glossy brown hair, a chiseled face and hazel brown eyes. Those around her shunned her since she was young; she was looked [upon] with disdain because of her appearance. [Exposed to a hateful and violent family life], she finally ran away from her home. Young and alone, she wandered to a city where a man took her in, and named her Setsuka (Snow Flower).
He's a bodyguard, he teaches her how to fight and later becomes crippled by injuries sustained while she was away on travels, continuing to teach her as best as he can until his last days. He also breaks the bank buying her a kimono. On his deathbed, he tells her who he lost a duel to and she swears revenge for the only person who had loved her and for whom she had, she realizes, fallen in love with.

Quote from: Design notes
  • Setsuka's kimono in Soulcalibur III is decorated with griffins, creatures most common in ancient Greek mythology and represented Nemesis, the goddess of vengeance[4]. The griffins however, are non-existent in Japanese or even East-Asian mythology. This further adds to Setsuka's East-meets-West theme and could possibly hint at her real origin being from Europe.
  • Setsuka's Soulcalibur III outfit was designed to have a "Queen of Hearts" theme to represent her Western origin and Eastern upbringing. Even her hair and head make a heart.[3]
  • In her debut appearance, the designers of Soulcalibur III intended to present Setsuka a unique woman reminiscent of a flower by emphasizing the shape of her silhouette and her glamorous kimono.[3] In all of Setsuka’s incarnations, she has been depicted as wearing a kimono or a similar robe. Her first design was similar to the Japanese courtesans known as Oiran, who wore cosmetics and clothing similar to geisha but tied their sashes in the front of their belts instead of wearing a backwards obi. This similarity was referenced in one of Setsuka’s kicks, “Oiran kick.”
  • Setsuka's appearance and concept seem to be largely based on Shurayuki Hime (English title: "Lady Snowblood"), a Japanese manga/movie heroine who also wields a blade hidden in an umbrella, seeking revenge for her mother.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:03:47 PM by knotty spine » Logged

Animating something like this >> Outraged << would take hours, maybe even days of work.
ink.inc
« Reply #337 on: May 19, 2012, 09:03:19 PM »

Mmm, I disagree... Soul Calibur's designs have gotten more tacky with each sequel.

They tend to be exceedingly cluttered, and not in a good way.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:22:11 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
knotty spine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 19, 2012, 09:29:05 PM »

What do you think about what they did to Cervantes with SCV? I'm not really a fan, it feels like a downgrade to me, and he got less outlandish. I can look at Z.W.E.I. and Viola and Natsu and Algol and see your point about outlandish, but Setsuka? Not so much. She could be real in my books.

Edit: For the record Setsuka's SCIV design is not a good character design, i only posted it to show how badly i thought they screwed the pooch after the success that was her SCIII design. Also i see you edited your post, but as a whole i still see SCV's approach to character design as a back to basics thing. Take Algol for example, his design in SCIV was aimless and cluttered, but now he's dressing himself just like an arrogant, ancient warrior with a god complex would: with barely anything but a scarf. I like it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:47:00 PM by knotty spine » Logged

Animating something like this >> Outraged << would take hours, maybe even days of work.
Theophilus
« Reply #339 on: May 19, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »

Generally, I agree with John. Even some of the first designs were pretty ridiculous... One character I think has gotten a little better, though, is mitsurugi.

Old (soul edge/blade):

Generic japanese fighter guy imo.

New (soul calibur 5):

Seasoned warrior with feet-won't-stop-getting-bigger disorder.

I've only played Soul Blade. I guess they made him older in SC5? I dunno. I think he's more interesting as a character as an older person.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic