Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 07:20:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingIt never rains but..
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: It never rains but..  (Read 4271 times)
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:57:52 PM »

It always pours..

There's no playable yet (there will be tho) so I don't know if I'm in breach of feedback forum rules- but I do want feedback so I hope I'm fine Smiley. Note there's loads of placeholder imagery so far, including the scary black oval 'space monster'

VID:

ok, so the background is a familiar story: you're a colonist, something's gone wrong and everyone else has gone dead. It's Alien meets Jurassic Park. The thing I want to do differently is *how* you experience this story. You are always inside your suit: it's your lifeline. But the computer is connected to the mainframe, and sometimes *it is the one giving the orders..

you wake up in a 'life suit', a weakly armed defense transport protective against the constant acid rain and native wildlife.

There's 3 main gameplay elements in mind:

1. exploration- the computer is forcing you to reclaim some mysterious data before it will clear entry to an escape pod.. you might also find out a bit more than it wants you to know..

2. local wildlife, security bots: these things are a pain, but you've got a weak laser which can take care of them. If pests attatch themselves to your suit, you'll need to hand-charge an electric burst which flows across the shell and fries them.

3. A giant teleporting space monster. This thing doesn't look like it's local.. maybe something to do with that data? it's attracted to electrical signals like the equipment on your suit. You might need to turn off your cameras and radar to slip by unnoticed / alive. It can't be seen by electrical recording equipment. (think forbidden planet vibe)

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 01:44:38 PM »

Whoa that's very cool. Having that view like that and the bobbing provided a great level of immersion. Even just watching the video. Felt realistic and human, the movement. The sound is also very nice.

I would love to play this.
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »

Oh wow, this looks fantastic already. Lots of potential there I think.

PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 06:41:06 PM »

Heh. Looks like it'd have been a perfect entry for the Cockpit Compo.

Definitely a very unique vibe from the video you showed. Keep us informed!

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Blackcorn
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 02:57:15 AM »

Nice pitch. I definitely want to be involved in your beta-test session if you plan to do one.

Right now, I only have one comment about the ground : the grid-pattern style isn't the best choice to bring immersion to the player in such a scary ambiant atmosphere.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 03:42:49 AM »

My guess is the grid-pattern is just placeholder graphics. But I agree with everyone else; this looks really atmospheric and promising!

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
joulimousis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 04:12:14 AM »

Feels very unique.

Juan Becerril
www.heavyboat.com
Ant
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 04:40:23 AM »

I have to iterate the others here, it looks and feels really awesome. Can't wait to see how this develops. Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley

And if you don't mind, what are you using to make the game? I'd really love to do a scary first person perspective game one day.
Kvalsternacka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 06:57:23 AM »

This is really cool. Just watching the vid creeped me out.

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 05:53:14 AM »

thanks for the encouragement!
yep the squares are just a test texture, worry not Smiley (everything in there is test really)

caiys: I'm using Quest3d for everything I make, which you might compare to Unity (with a different node-based programming method, and pc-only export). So it's very flexible, you can make nearly any type of game in it I believe (although using it to make a sprite 2d game would be overkill considering it's a 3d engine)

working on the monster AI at the moment, getting it to react better to player presence and roam a bit more convincingly. Also need to give it the ability to phase in and out of our plane of existence..

Bootleg TurboDrive
www.richmakegame.com
Bumpkin Brothers
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 06:01:17 AM »

Even without sound it gave me the creeps.  Why do the words 'computer offline' sound so scary.

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 05:08:25 PM »

hey all, new vid:

this one shows how you interact with the world. The blue blobs are supposed to be computer consoles. Each one is numbered, and if you are close by and type it's number it will be activated. This will control things like messages, doors and possibly refilling your oxygen levels :S

Bootleg TurboDrive
www.richmakegame.com
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 06:13:52 PM »

Wow, looks really cool. I  like the idea of having to turn off your systems to hide from the space monster.

ArenMook
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 08:07:54 PM »

That has potential to have a pretty scary gameplay. Being in a suit alone like that gives a feeling of claustraphobia. Exploit that and you're bound to have a hit!
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 10:55:30 PM »

wowholyshit Epileptic

Words cannot express how much I would like to see more of this.

Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 12:03:33 AM »

woah Shocked

wowholyshit Epileptic

Words cannot express how much I would like to see more of this.

^Those words express my lack of words to express.

Linear
Level 0

Cart will not push self!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 10:22:58 PM »

Man, there's just something about that compact, hard to see all around suit that leaves the player feeling all sorts of vulnerable.  Also, I can't deny feeling a hint of a System Shock 2 vibe from it.  Are you planning on having any sort of in-game hacking maybe?
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 01:55:36 AM »

make this game or else

hi
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »

Actually yeah you do feel vulnerable in a power suit, scary.

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 12:01:44 AM »

I really like the atmosphere. It reminds me of Ovine's remake of Cholo in a good way. You should give it a play if you haven't before.

I'm looking forward to when you'll have a playable build available.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:18:47 AM by ithamore » Logged

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic