Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 10:56:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessTL;DRlegal - License Summaries
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TL;DRlegal - License Summaries  (Read 895 times)
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2012, 12:02:06 PM »

A site I found on another forum I frequent.

http://www.tldrlegal.com/

Basically, you can get summaries and information about any particular software license in TL;DR paragraphs.
(Placed in Business as it's a tool involving licenses)
Nix
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:08:18 PM »

Open source licenses 101:

• don't use GPL if you want to release the binary but not the source code
  • everything else is fine and you don't have to pay any attention
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:22:14 PM »

@Nix: Um.. no.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Nix
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »

@Nix: Um.. no.

I was "humorously" simplifying it, but that really is all you have to think about when using libraries in close-source projects. You might want to take a *quick* look, but with basically every open source library available, you can categorize the licenses as "GPL" or "other."

Edit: For the record, my favorite open-source license is the MIT license. Strong copyleft licenses (GPL) rub me the wrong way. It's not really free software if you can't do whatever you want with it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:41:25 PM by Nix » Logged
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 06:08:06 PM »

Thanks for the link! Now I have a link to give it to my friends when we're talking about licenses.

Edit: For the record, my favorite open-source license is the MIT license. Strong copyleft licenses (GPL) rub me the wrong way. It's not really free software if you can't do whatever you want with it.
MIT is my favorite as well. And I agree with your comment on GPL. What are they going to do with their software is their business, not mine.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 08:45:07 AM »

The term "free software" was coined by Stallman. GPL was created by Stallman to promote free software. So yes, GPL'd stuff is indeed free. But it's not just free, it also guarantees that anything built from it remains free. Free to use and change the code as you want, not free to make money off of it in any way you want (even if that seems to be the American Dream-definition of free)

There are also more copyleft licenses than GPL, for example CC-SA, which is sometimes used on code.

But for libraries, the common choice is LGPL. Which allows people to release proprietary software that uses the library. But if they change the library they have to share those changes. Which makes a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:57:41 AM by Dacke » Logged

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic