Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411670 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 12:40:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeat Line
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Heat Line  (Read 34974 times)
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2009, 03:13:32 PM »

I love hunting in games!  And this game seems like its going to be great!  More updates! Smiley

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2009, 06:29:48 PM »

Alright, more updates you say? Here is a big one Smiley

Super awesome...how did you do the dynamic shadows ?

They are a little rough, as you can see in some of the screens. Basically, there are two different things going on. For the "land" shadows, I am generating shadow "cells" that match the general shape of the object, and then stretching them and changing the transparency based on the position of the sun. Some of these are still out of position a bit, and I may shrink them and increase how many I use to get more accurate shadows. It is all about how fast it will be. The tree shadows (and eventually, the shadows for all the sprites) are a "shadow" version of the object, rotated and stretched to match the sun position. I then apply a pixel shader to the shadow layer to blur it a bit, and set it to the equivalent of Photoshop's multiply.

You mean you rendered 16 rough versions of the RV and painted over them or did you render it directly as we can see it in the game ? If the latter, can i have an idea of the technique you used ? I don't do 3d but i'd love to make simple 3d sprites with a 2d look like yours.

I used Blender to make a VERY simple 3d model, and then painted a texture to match my sprite style. The trick is to paint all the shadows onto the texture, and render the object with no lighting. (well, full lighting i guess). It lets it match the style of the sprites pretty well.

Would look better as sprites that are semi-3d (meaning they'd stand out from the backround plane).

This isn't really possible to do well in MMF2. (Actually, I'm sure there is a way, but not using the methods I am using for the rest of the rendering.) Maybe in the sequel. <shrug>

Oooh what's that status indicator there? Is the abdomen red because he's anticipating wrestling some steaks out of that ox, or is it because he's just been kicked in the guts by one?

This is more clear in these new shots. It is your hunger indicator Smiley

Speaking of new shots:

Sorry mister ox man. Hunting rifle is up and operational, as you can see here.

This is a zoomed out shot to show the size of the actual area of the map loaded into the game at any one time. Anything in the world not in this area is "frozen" I am thinking about making some simple algorithms to shift things around in the frozen zone as well, so that it simulates things moving around a bit and they don't stay just as you left them. The red thing floating in the purple area up by the HUD is actually some ox steak I was testing out Smiley

Here you can see I painted "looted" versions of all the plants, so you can see what you have picked or not. Or what the oxen have "picked" -- They will stop to chow down on plants that they come across.

Also- the "40" in these screen shots is the frame rate. I have it locked at 40 right now to keep everything the same speed. If I take off the lock, it runs at about 150 fps on my computer. Eventually I will probably write a timer so the game speed isn't locked to the frame rate.

Next update: Steak, Knives, and Automobiles.

(I'm busting ass for IGF)

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2009, 08:07:43 PM »

Thanks for the update.  It's looking better and better.  Kiss

I really like that boulder to the left on the last image.  It reminds me of the backgrounds in Chuck Jones-directed cartoons.

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
alspal
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2009, 09:21:34 PM »

Looking hot!
Would be easy to make some star wars intro style text with this style
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2009, 11:07:44 PM »

I think there's a slight problem with the colour of the dirt; it's a bit too warm-looking; in those pics where there's snow and dirt at the same time, it looks a bit more like early spring than an endless winter. Dunno if it's just me, but I'd suggest making the dirt look colder.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »

I am excited for this!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2009, 10:07:26 AM »

This game looks so so great, I see good things for storyline and atmosphere.

I'm not a huge fan of the hunger meter though, it doesn't seem to fit with the thermometer.  Shrug

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2009, 10:26:05 AM »

I hereby proclaim my excitement for this project.
I am excited!

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2009, 10:54:23 AM »

Just a quick mini update Smiley

Dinner is served!

Fauxfox
Level 0

Never knows best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2009, 11:09:45 AM »

Hand Knife Right Gentleman Hand Fork Left that looks good :D

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2009, 11:17:02 AM »

That's fucked up

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2009, 11:25:10 AM »

how far out is a playable demo?

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2009, 11:41:21 AM »

Man... I wish I knew. I'm hoping to get one out soon though, if only to test for compatibility issues.

I don't mean to taunt you all endlessly. Smiley

I know I said I would put one out last weekend, but I keep wanting to add more features and fix more bugs before I let it out in the wild.

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2009, 11:59:04 AM »

Do what you need to do.  I'd like to think most of us trust your judgment, considering the progress that has been made so far.  Smiley

God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2009, 02:33:23 PM »

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2009, 02:43:28 PM »

LOL I love how happy he looks holding that knife.  Nice work!

The colors in certain areas look a little over-saturated to me, though (on both my Macbook Pro and my desktop).  Especially the trees.  Does anyone else feel this way?
alspal
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2009, 08:53:38 PM »

I enjoy the bright colours to be honest, they are a little over the top but its okay.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2009, 11:10:14 PM »

LOL I love how happy he looks holding that knife.  Nice work!

The colors in certain areas look a little over-saturated to me, though (on both my Macbook Pro and my desktop).  Especially the trees.  Does anyone else feel this way?
What bothers me more is the extreme perspective - the trees look odd! I'm sure it's a stylistic choice, though.

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »

I like the trees as they are, but would like to see more bushes? Or smaller vegetation.
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2009, 07:23:30 AM »

I find the saturation makes it seem so much happier! In my mind he looks like a little happy drunk cosmonaut.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic