Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 11:29:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeat Line
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Heat Line  (Read 34970 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2009, 09:02:36 AM »

the "flat paper" effect is sweet, good idea.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2009, 11:59:59 AM »

It might be a liiiihhttle over-saturated, but I do like the more intense colors.  Maybe 5-10% less?? Shrug

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2009, 01:49:36 PM »

I repeat what I said earlier: nothing wrong otherwise with the colours, but the dirt is too warm-coloured.

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2009, 02:06:35 PM »

I like the trees as they are, but would like to see more bushes? Or smaller vegetation.

I'm planning on adding more vegetation and "noise", but it will be less important to gameplay (like dead bushes and small weeds and grasses and things) I agree that more stuff will make it feel a bit more organic, which I think it still needs.

I repeat what I said earlier: nothing wrong otherwise with the colours, but the dirt is too warm-coloured.

I'm gonna mess with this a bit when I get some time. I can see what you mean though. I like the contrast with the warm safeness of the forest areas with the really cold feeling other areas. (Mountains and Ice and things...) But it may be pushed too far.

The colors in certain areas look a little over-saturated to me, though (on both my Macbook Pro and my desktop).  Especially the trees.  Does anyone else feel this way?

This is totally my work in toys coming out, where you always want things to be super saturated Smiley I've been fiddling a bit with filters over the screen to mess with things, and it would be easy enough to desaturate the art with that. (Though I still want to keep the "storybook" feel to the art). The weather effects may also really mute the art some. (Clouds and snow and things) I need to watch this though, if the details in the art start being hard to view on certain monitors b/c of the colors though.

What bothers me more is the extreme perspective - the trees look odd! I'm sure it's a stylistic choice, though.

Yeah- as I said earlier, this is kind of innovation by necessity. I'm using MMF2 for rapid development, so I can't really do true 3D, but I still wanted to get the kind of "landscape" and "epic" feel that you get from a 3d perspective. As a neat by product, I think it really complements the storybook aesthetic that the art is going for.

Back to working on the RV... should be driving it around before I go to bed tonight Smiley

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2009, 07:53:05 PM »

I panicked and almost thought you had deleted this devlog when it wasn't on the front page still. Keep at it  Angry   Embarrassed
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2009, 04:00:33 PM »

Still chuggin...

I'll probably not post much in the next week or so though.

ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2009, 04:04:16 PM »

I love this RV Smiley By the way, thanks for the explanation, i'll add "Try out Blender" to the list of things i'd love to do but that i'll be too lazy to try.

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2009, 04:08:35 PM »

yeah-- Blender is pretty unintuitive. I had to relearn it when I revised the RV to be proportioned better. I had forgotten all the *required* keyboard commands. YUCK

UPDATE: decided to try making a quick video to see how it would come out. The volume is not loud enough, but if you turn up your speakers, it is there...

See what you think... still has minor glitches and stuff going on.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 07:30:21 PM by astrospoon » Logged

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »

hahahaha

oh he is not going to run ov-

nvm...

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2009, 08:45:34 PM »

Awesome!!  Thanks for the video, it's exciting to see the game in action.  Keep at it, sir.   Gentleman

@godatplay
Poor Lazlo
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2009, 05:30:10 AM »

Looking great! A question: Is there any point to using the hunting rifle when the RV is at hand?
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2009, 05:34:37 AM »

I thought the RV was only for traveling, but it appears to make an effective hunting tool!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2009, 06:11:29 AM »

Haha... actually, the RV is hopefully not going to be that effective. The oxen will damage it, but also you have a high chance of slamming into a cliff or wall while you speed around. And if you wreck the RV, the traveling is much worse on foot. So hopefully this will make it not wise to hunt with it.

I also am going to make the oxen run away from loud noises as well, which includes gunfire and the RV engine. The plan is that you won't be able to get that close to them with the RV anyway. But if you run up on foot, they won't notice you.

I had to code collision with the RV in though, since there will be other things you can hit with the RV Smiley

deathtotheweird
« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2009, 06:34:35 AM »

aw the poor oxen  Cry
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2009, 11:31:22 AM »

Looks great!

EDIT: Oh, how shameful to post such a sort post, I'll say something more!

Are you sure you don't want to make the RV have all those 32 directions? With a 3D model it shouldn't be that time-consuming!

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2009, 11:50:07 AM »

You should make it to where you can't instantly turn around in the RV
to make it more realistic to car physics

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2009, 07:38:30 PM »

You should make it to where you can't instantly turn around in the RV
to make it more realistic to car physics

Working on it. Right now you can't turn unless the RV is moving, but if it is even a little bit you can rotate it around. I need to adjust that.

Are you sure you don't want to make the RV have all those 32 directions? With a 3D model it shouldn't be that time-consuming!

It wouldn't be. But there are other things that can "attach" to the RV that I don't want to animate in 32 dir. I'm not saying what though....

Frustrating time these last few days. I had a program killing bug that I couldn't figure out. I lost like 2 days to it. After you played for a while, you started to be able to drive right through new rocks and trees that were getting generated -- all of the collision just stopped working. Turns out, the fixed ids that MMF2 was generating for each object got larger than the max value of a variable in LUA. Undecided Then it was like looping around to the negative values or something. (And I don't test negative ids, since -1 is the flag for "nothing found") Such a mess.

I'm not sure I'm going to make IGF in fine fashion, but I'm gonna kill myself this week. Yeeeha!!!!

btw-- the heatline itself and snow are in:

(you can see my debug code spitting out the collision events at the top.)

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2009, 08:31:55 PM »

It wouldn't be. But there are other things that can "attach" to the RV that I don't want to animate in 32 dir. I'm not saying what though....

I thinking rocket launcher.

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2009, 09:56:24 PM »

Well I hope the road leading up to the IGF is a relatively smooth one then.  Coffee

Maybe there should be more vegetation around the line?  And maybe some kind of environmental hint that you are getting closer to the line over time, like when you're still a screen away or something.  I'm not sure what that would be other than vegetation, though.  Ice patches where the snow melted and froze after the wind hit it?  Just thinking out loud.

@godatplay
Wander
Level 1

pixels are my only real friends. (and scotch)

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2009, 08:32:17 AM »

The vid looks cool!  Glad you're making good progress on this one.

-The Horrible Vikings-

-= artist will paint for scotch=-
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic