Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:55:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Captain McCallery (RELEASED)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Space Captain McCallery (RELEASED)  (Read 11670 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2009, 08:16:47 PM »

This is a game about interstellar rogue and scalawag Captain McCallery who was recently abandoned by his crew, and has just crash landed on an alien planet.

This game has been released.  Find it here:  http://www.ultimate-nerds.com/space-captain-mccallery-episode-1-crash-landing

There is also an announcement thread.

Can he survive this alien world, battle fierce space monsters, find a way off the planet, and perhaps find some treasure on the way?  Of course he can!  He's [insert name here]Captain McCallery, and don't you forget it!

The game is a Zelda-like, with the addition of shooting and dodging/jumping.

I'm considering making this an episodic series of games, but let's see how the first game goes first.   Wink

UPDATE:
Beta Version!  

3/16/10 - NEW DEMO!  Download it here.

Demo!

Remember, this is still an early rough demo of the game.  I'm releasing it to get feedback on the basic gameplay and feel of the game.  There are currently no instructions in game.

Controls are as follows:
Arrow Keys - Move
Press Z while moving to jump
Hold X to strafe (while you're holding X, you won't change direction)
Press C to shoot
Press A to pick up an item
Press Shift to open the item menu
Press M to toggle mute

You begin the game with no weapon, so you will have to find the gun that fell out of your ship as you crashed.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 04:11:23 PM by Malec2b » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 12:11:11 PM »

So far I've got movement, basic collision and parallax scrolling working.

Today, I plan on implementing better collision, shooting, as well as some basic enemy types.

Also, as it currently stands, I'm doing all the art for this game.  Now, I'm not an artist, and I'm already running into some issues regarding perspective (which is a bit confusing in this type of game).  If an artist wants to collaborate/pitch in on this, it would be appreciated as I could use the help (particularly on creating the various alien monsters).   Beer!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 10:20:55 PM »

The Captain (and thus the game) has a name now!  (I might change it later, but for now, consider that the name/title)

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 12:25:41 AM »

New Screenshot.

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 11:06:28 AM »

Looking good! I like the color palette.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 07:05:25 PM »

Looking good! I like the color palette.
Thanks!

New screen:
Added fog effects to obscure my crappy art add atmosphere (no pun intended)

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »

Cave!

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 08:47:22 PM »

woah buddy, looking good reallly good, can't wait for a demo or something!

Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 01:03:51 PM »

New screen:
Added fog effects to obscure my crappy art add atmosphere (no pun intended)

Looks good, but please, no blurry pixels, IT HURTS MY HEAD.

Everything else looks mighty fine.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 03:30:47 PM »

Progress continues on the game.  I've made it so the player can now be damaged, so that's helpful to have in the game!  I'll probably release a rough demo either later today or tomorrow, since I'd like some feedback on the basic gameplay and how the game feels.  The demo will probably comprise of the first rock bridges level and the first room of the caves.

As for the full game, I really like the idea of making this an episodic series, so it won't be too long.  Probably two levels of rock bridges and two caves, followed by the surface level of the planet and a last dungeon.  All in all, I'm aiming for a 20-40 minute experience.

As an episodic series, I'll probably put a small price on the later episodes, but this first episode will be freeware.

kiwi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 03:59:16 PM »

Looks good so far.
I'd work some more on that fog though.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 04:24:49 PM »

Yeah, I can't get the fog quite right.  I'm going to keep working on that.

kiwi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 04:36:59 PM »

What are you using to make the game?
Maybe you can use mega particles to make the fog:http://www.inframez.com/events_volclouds_slide01.htm

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 05:27:29 PM »

I'm using Game Maker.  I think what you're talking about might be a bit too much for it to handle, and also I don't quite understand what it's saying.   Shrug

I'm probably going to upload a rough demo shortly.  I'm going to take out the foreground fog for now, as the background fog doesn't look as bad in my opinion.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 05:56:27 PM »

Demo!

Remember, this is still an early rough demo of the game.  I'm releasing it to get feedback on the basic gameplay and feel of the game.  There are currently no instructions in game.

Controls are as follows:
Arrow Keys - Move
Hold Z to Run
Hold X to strafe (while you're holding X, you won't change direction)
Press C to shoot
Z+X+Direction to jump in a direction (you can use this to dodge an attack or to jump over a chasm)

You begin the game with no weapon, so you will have to find the gun that fell out of your ship as you crashed.

kiwi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 01:53:47 AM »

Hehe, it's pretty smooth, I only have on objection, when you run upwards and you're not facing the north, it won't turn it just stays that way.
Also I'd change the graphics for the bullet into a beam of some sorts

pgil
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 08:17:18 AM »

This looks really cool. Can anyone post a mirror? That Mediafire link just gives me a blank page.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 01:48:20 PM »

I've uploaded it onto my own website for those of you having trouble with Mediafire:  http://www.ultimate-nerds.com/wp-content/uploads/CaptMcCalleryDemo.exe

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »

New Screenshot from inside the cave:

I've started adding more plants to the cave, as well as that lighting effect you see.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 12:54:46 AM »

Just thought I'd give a quick update.  I've been making some nice progress on this game.  I've completed about 40-50% of the level layout.  Most of the basic gameplay is there, but there are still some features I want to add.  I'm going to try out a survival/food system.  I don't want it to be too punishing so it won't be tied into your health, but it will affect your recovery rate for energy (which you use to run and dash).  Also, some alien plants will have side effects (both positive and negative) when you eat them.

I'm probably going to do another preview demo at some point, in order to further test out the gameplay with the new additions I have planned, as well as test out more of the game areas.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic