Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:39:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignReal Life Weather IN A GAME?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Real Life Weather IN A GAME?  (Read 4767 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 07:22:02 PM »

Imagine it more like a Zelda-type adventure game maybe?, where the environment acts differently depending on where you are -- along with tools who function better, worse, or not at all depending on the environment. But not tools that you need.

Cold: Any water that is outside instead turns to ice. You can now cross to places you could not before, whereas in other places waterfalls might be frozen over, for example. You could still find a bridge around, or burn through waterfalls with a fire item.
---> An area which normally has a bridge with enemies on it, perhaps promising a difficult fight; if it's cold outside, though, the fight is different because you can cross without fighting, or come from behind.

Thunderstorm: There is a Lightning Rod which deals huge damage, but only carries 5 charges. You can hold it up during a thunderstorm to charge it up.

Er, that's all I got. There might be places that require it to be cold enough or hot enough or windy enough to gain access to, and these places would not be necessary but could be cool extras for those who can get to them?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 03:29:53 AM »

Weather should have a big effect on everything -- but not in a way that would feel like you're being limited.
This was Boktai's biggest problem. Thankfully I live in a subtropical area where there's a good balance between bad and good weather, but still playing that game in winter sucked. I'm glad they threw out the solar sensor for Lunar Knights.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 03:51:34 AM »

Whispering your name from registry is awesome o_o I always wondered what that whispering was.

What you probably heard was the whispering of "Deeeaaath" and "Liiife" as people died and were born.

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 04:53:03 AM »

Whispering your name from registry is awesome o_o I always wondered what that whispering was.

What you probably heard was the whispering of "Deeeaaath" and "Liiife" as people died and were born.
no they implemented name whispering too... i investigated this feature because it was so creepy. i found the mp3 file with the names in it. see http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10892.0
--> a thread about this in the lionhead forums regarding name whispering in b&w2 http://community.lionhead.com/forums/thread/1200992.aspx
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:28:20 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 02:35:19 PM »

Sounds like it would fit in Animal Crossing.

In the same respect, other Wii features such as the Weather Channel will have no bearing on the game. “Weather patterns are not very uniform across the world, so if we included that in the game, some people would lose out on the variety of weather on offer,” Eguchi sighs. “Animal Crossing relies heavily on the feeling of the changing seasons and weather – maybe on a rainy day you’ll catch more fish – and because the game relies so heavily on these aspects, we’ve decided to not tie the game’s experience to the Weather Channel to offer everyone the chance to experience all the game has to offer.

source:
http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/the-inside-story-animal-crossing?page=0,2

zacaj
Level 3

void main()

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 05:39:46 AM »

What if you had a game that took place inside, and just used your current weather outside the windows?  Youd get really good sound effects in a thunder storm Smiley

My twitter: @zacaj_

Quote from: mcc
Well let's just take a look at this "getting started" page and see--
Download and install cmake
Noooooooo
it_is_coming
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 10:11:31 PM »

This would work really well in a story-based RTS. Strategy games in general tend to lack a sense of connection between player and character. Maybe something like this would add to the immersiveness.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 03:06:17 PM »

It's a shame they dropped it from AC. did an earlier version have it?

It would be good in something like Animal Crossing where you can go and visit other people's towns. Then you could experience all conditions by having a decent distribution of contacts around the world. The NPC dialog, signs, etc could be in the local language too Smiley

Would be nice to have mechanics that worked in any weather and some that only work in certain conditions. Like the various subtasks in building a house or landscaping a garden... or farming: you have to grow the right crops for your climate. Different power sources... solar in hot regions, wind or hydro elsewhere.

@it_is_coming Could you explain the story-based RTS idea a bit more? Do you mean different weather on set missions, or the option of different missions?

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 10:38:06 AM »

Maybe you could instead create a game where planning ahead on a virtual weather report is a core mechanic.

For example, Left 4 Dead 3: You know that in snowy conditions, tanks get bogged down and can't move very well, but footing is treacherous on icy ledges. There's a weather report suggesting a 60% chance of snow, so you decide you're going to take the risk and bring along some extra climbing gear and leave behind the molotovs: the tank isn't going to be a threat. Sure enough, your gamble pays off. It starts to snow and the tank arrives, only to be rendered almost harmless because it flounders in a drift.

Or, you hear a rumor it's going to rain, but it's only a 30% chance, which means your fire-based weapons will be useless if you're outside, not to mention the decreased visibility. Rather than making a run for it along an open-air route, you stick to a path near a highway overpass, so you can take shelter in the event it rains. Turns out, it never rains. Your allies curse that they should've just taken the straight route and ignored the threats of rain and lightning because that would have been much easier.

I think that might be more fun than basing this on the real weather.

-SirNiko
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic