Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411803 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 01:01:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesCave Story Wii
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Cave Story Wii  (Read 60275 times)
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2010, 04:46:15 PM »

I'm sure it's a good port. Sad to hear about the music, though! It makes me feel good that the actual person who made the music came to these forums to clarify.(unless they're some douchebag impostor.)

Most of the problem I'm seeing is that you're all mad is it's not the same game, and it wasn't intended to be. The "Oh yeah!" does humor, me, though. It'd have been funnier if they made Balrog red and full of ice cubes. Just saying.

I think it's plausible that Nintendo did a bit of interfering, as well --
In regards to the claim that Nintendo wanted them to change Quote's outfit color, it makes sense to me. When I was seen playing Cave Story at school, people immediately thought I was playing Mario.

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2010, 05:20:02 PM »

Changing a single recognizable line can potentially be a huge thing. Imagine if they remade Final Fantasy 1 (again) and you get to Garland and he says, "I, Garland, will get you my pretties! Tee Hee!"

Fans would notice.

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2010, 05:43:47 PM »

Wow, they changed two words. Time for a boycott...

Honestly, can anyone name any other line in the game that was changed? I'm sure there are, but no one seems to care. Why not just think "HUZZAH" everytime balrog makes an entrance? other than the aforementioned possible confusion with the kool-aid man there is no real difference. Recognizable? Oh getoveryourself.

It's too bad to here about the sound problems. I too am not a fan of what I have been hearing of the new soundtrack, and was looking forward to playing this game with the original sound.
 Beer! here's to a patch hopefully!

Anyway, the wii is probably the correct market for Cave Story since it probably has more of a chance with your average hasn't-played-a-game-since-the-90's virtual console customer than your average bought-braid-cuase-of-souljaboy xbox live subscriber.

Finally gonna have time to buy this tomorrow.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2010, 05:49:08 PM »

Hello, I worked on the music for Cave story.
As you've all noticed, there's a lot of weird things going on with the audio, for instance : drum tracks not playing (there is actually drums in the music files we provided), instrument changes delayed, unbalanced mixing. I discovered this yesterday by watching "let's play" videos, and am as disappointed as you.

Well, this clears up a lot of my concerns. I'd be really keen to hear to correct versions of the new songs now. I understand that's probably impossible at the moment, though. Don't let this get you down!
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2010, 05:59:09 PM »

Anyway, the wii is probably the correct market for Cave Story since it probably has more of a chance with your average hasn't-played-a-game-since-the-90's virtual console customer than your average bought-braid-cuase-of-souljaboy xbox live subscriber.

i am offended soulja boy has made a great contribution to games criticism
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2010, 06:00:14 PM »

Well it doesn't help that they changed it to the Kool Aid man's catchphrase. Because nobody will notice that.  WTF

But yeah you're right the music problems are far more.. problematic. I feel bad for those guys who had nothing to do with the final mastering. I'd be pissed, man.

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2010, 06:02:44 PM »

Honestly, can anyone name any other line in the game that was changed? I'm sure there are, but no one seems to care. Why not just think "HUZZAH" everytime balrog makes an entrance? other than the aforementioned possible confusion with the kool-aid man there is no real difference. Recognizable? Oh getoveryourself.

Nobody is calling for a boycott. Nobody is complaining about other lines either because they weren't as characteristic. This was a very popular catchphrase among Cave Story fans.

Particulary, I think Bushland makes more sense than Grasstown, so it is not just because I want things to be the same.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2010, 06:16:06 PM »

Moaning about the localisation not being the same as the one you fell in love with seems like typical gamer entitlement and a weird sense of ownership.

Yyeess, being miffed with things you like becoming worse is definitely a sign of having a sense of ownership over them. Hey guys, let's all be completely happy about everything, because being unhappy with things means that you actually think that they're yours! Wink

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Anarkex
Level 1

Still dope.

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2010, 10:13:12 PM »

Even if you don't care at all about the new translation, you have to admit it's a slap in the face, especially since they smugly announced it was going to be the CORRECT translation on the blog. Who's to even say? Does Pixel know English? I mean, seriously, is the stuff they changed really exposing some fantastic new meaning? All it's doing is making this game something separate from the game so many people fell in love with. They were doing this almost completely for the fans' sake, so I don't really know why they would go to this.

And don't act like screwing up the sound effects and music is no big deal, either. We should expect certain standards when it comes to options in games: language options in JRPGs, screen filters in arcade games, et cetera. Half-assing something that people will clearly WANT TO USE is just stupid. Leaving it in after half-assing it is nothing short of idiotic.

Whether you want to support Pixel or not, don't forget that Nicalis is a company who has designed a product, and by justifying what they are doing you're giving them the OK to keep doing it. If you ask me there's really no excuse for failing to satisfy the people who will be buying in droves on day 1. There's a chance they just expected people to buy regardless.

Let me just take this last moment to say that I know it doesn't have to be like this. I was extremely satisfied by my purchase of Suguri Perfect Edition from Rockin Android. Everything worked great, no annoying DRM, and the soundtrack is thrown in. Good guys. I just wish they could net some more games.

sfried
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2010, 02:11:21 AM »

I know WiiWare games sometimes recieve updates in the program. Perhaps they could send an update so all people have to do is redownload it? (I believe this happened with Gradius ReBirth when they added additional music tracks. Perhaps they could do the same for Cave Story to not only correct the the music, but replace "Oh yeah!" back to "Huzzah!" if that's such an issue.)

And don't act like screwing up the sound effects and music is no big deal, either. We should expect certain standards when it comes to options in games: language options in JRPGs, screen filters in arcade games, et cetera. Half-assing something that people will clearly WANT TO USE is just stupid. Leaving it in after half-assing it is nothing short of idiotic.
From my understanding, they actually consulted with Pixel and Nigiro regarding translations. In their own words, they've said they didn't use Aeon Genesis' fan translation because they want to get the creators vision right.
jakten
Level 0

さわるとふらふらワタボー!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2010, 03:02:26 AM »

I don't see what's wrong with the translation really, I realize there are memes based around the game (I honestly forgot Balrog said 'Huzzah') but if this is the way Pixel wanted it it is his game to make that choice. There were actually a few moments where I learned more about the story with this translation so...

Not that Aeon Genesis didn't do a good translation, I still enjoy his version but he isn't the person who wrote this story. Maybe Pixel cringes at the thought of his wonderfully mammoth bar of soap yelling 'Huzzah!'  Shrug

shig
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2010, 03:41:06 AM »

All it's doing is making this game something separate from the game so many people fell in love with.
i hope i never become a hardcore, die-hard fan of anything because fuck
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2010, 03:57:29 AM »

They were doing this almost completely for the fans' sake, so I don't really know why they would go to this.
Do you really really think Nicalis would have gone through all that effort just to pander to a small group of diehard fans instead of, say, trying to reach new audiences?

Also, if you hate the changes so much, the original version and the homebrew PSP port are still out there, y'know.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2010, 04:45:33 AM »

Huzzah? Is the Balrog a British aristocrat?

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Zenorf
Level 1

Because it had to be done

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2010, 05:20:51 AM »

It's always good to see indie games coming into mainstream and although I feel perhaps I should. I still don't buy all of them. MY favorite Wiiware games are still the Lost Wind titles but I also love World of Goo. I'm still sitting on the fence over whether or not this will be a valid purchase at 1200 points.

Failure is not an option, but it's always a possibility.

www.radiationburn.net
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2010, 07:24:31 AM »

Do you really really think Nicalis would have gone through all that effort just to pander to a small group of diehard fans instead of, say, trying to reach new audiences?
They went through the trouble of adding alternate, original graphics and sound, didn't they?  Who is that for?  And is it really so much effort to be conscious of a character's catchphrase?  Explain, how does "OHHHH YEAAAH" reach new audiences?

Also, if you hate the changes so much, the original version and the homebrew PSP port are still out there, y'know.
Please actually read what other people have said before you post.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2010, 08:42:52 AM »

Let us stop the bickering now and maintain this discussion civil, shall we?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2010, 09:05:35 AM »

They went through the trouble of adding alternate, original graphics and sound, didn't they?  Who is that for?  And is it really so much effort to be conscious of a character's catchphrase?  Explain, how does "OHHHH YEAAAH" reach new audiences?
Just because they added in those things for the old fans, doesn't mean the whole game is or should be fan service.

Also, as for the whole translation thing: This is supposed to be an official release, with the original creators' blessing and help. Using a legally questionable fan translation done by a hacker seems wrong.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2010, 09:20:01 AM »

Not if you ask them first.   Wink

But I guess you're right.  I really enjoyed Dragon Quest 5 through the fan translation and then found that the DS translation was...lacking.  They tried to add accents in with the speech and it...just made it really hard to read and slightly terrible in a B-Movie sense.

I *really* wish companies would pay attention to what's already happened with their product and try to capitalize on it instead of re-inventing the wheel.  You save money and you get a good consultant.

I know *for a fact* that's what happens at Anime translation studios like Ocean.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2010, 09:31:36 AM »

Just because they added in those things for the old fans, doesn't mean the whole game is or should be fan service.

Also, as for the whole translation thing: This is supposed to be an official release, with the original creators' blessing and help. Using a legally questionable fan translation done by a hacker seems wrong.

I'd like to bring this quote back from some posts ago:

Shih Tzu's translation was very good and, more importantly, localized very well.  It's not as if he was just "some guy" either -- he talked plenty with Pixel.  I've seen a picture of him with Pixel.

How exactly the translation made by AeonGenesis, which was also blessed by Pixel, is "legally questionable"? AeonGenesis is a group with several good translations. It surprises me that someone in the TIGForums would ignore this, just because the new translation comes from an studio and is intended to be released in a console.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic