Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412057 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 23, 2024, 12:16:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNicalis
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Nicalis  (Read 50119 times)
JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: March 28, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »

You either don't have an idea on how bad the situation is for the PC, or you judge the piracy on the Wii based on seeing your friend playing the wii version on the pc, which btw is kinda odd since either he was using a wii emulator (which as far as I know, dont exist), or you've been seeing things.

Game breaking bugs ? Never came across a single one, except for the problems with the old soundtrack which I have turned off. Which isn't a game breaking bug, I think.

Worst translation ? Except for the "Huzzah" part, most of the differences on the translations are small corrections of what was previously done.

Retarded Choices? Be more specific would help.

Music and SFX dont work properly? I dont have any problems with the sfx, the only problems I have with the music happen when I have the old soundtrack turned on, but even then those problems are barely noticeable.

There IS an Wii emulator and it plays most games fine. It plays Cave Story Wii fine, just to make it clear.

Also lot of people in GameFAQs, neogaf and Nicalis forums reported glitches with the map item and with areas surrounding Outer Wall. It seems like some people entered a door and the screen turned black. And it constantly happened, preventing the player from progressing.

I dunno but someone said that while Nicalis' translation is more accurate, it's not more pleasant to read. I think it was Souliard's post in the Cave Story thread but i'm not sure. The Aeon Genesis translation was a lot better but the new translation makes some parts of the story clearer, indeed.

When you boot the game for the first time, there is STORY mode, CURLY BRACE, Boss Rush and Sanctuary bla bla. If you are a new player, you can get a bunch of spoilers right up there. It would make more sense if these other modes aside from Story were unlocked after playing Story mode.

Some SFX are REALLY LOUD (text, experience triangle things, footsteps). The old soundtrack doesnt loop properly and has balancing problems. The new one has missing instruments. Come ooooon.

Well I've never stumbled upon those bugs so I can't talk about them.

About the new modes, I don't think they are spoilers, I mean when you first start the game you have no idea who Curly is, or if the Sanctuary is relevant story-wise or not. As for the other game modes I can't possibly see how they can be spoilers.

About the translation, personally I don't see much of a difference, the few differences I see are for better imo. Like Grasstown turning into Bushland for example. It only has a few houses scattered around the level, thats hardly a town.

I only noticed the problems with the sfx when someone mentioned them. I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. The missing instruments, same thing. The problems with the old soundtrack dont bother me since I have it turned off.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 28, 2010, 07:57:54 PM »

At least it was the only game I found in his site. And I just found out he used game maker to make it.
I was merely pointing out how this sounded as if Tower Defense games are inherently inferior.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #182 on: March 28, 2010, 08:21:50 PM »

Cave story is a remake. What's the point of re releasing the same game for the same platform ? In addition that game was originally free. Your claim that most people who bought Cave Story for the wii are the same who played the same pc freeware game over and over, I highly doubt that, for many reasons that I wont explain again. The reason why they did it wii only was probably because they couldn't get it on the xbla, so the wiiware was the best option remaining. that's just a wild guess.

To appeal to the audience that made it possible to do a remake? I mean, seems pretty logical to me. You want to appeal to your fan base. If your fan base is on PC, you release on the PC. Simple as that. In business terms, it's somewhere between a niche market and consumer loyalty. "If you build it, they will come." I have no doubt that if they did a real, decent Cave Story remake on the PC, it would sell. Because that's where the fans are. This is a simple fucking concept that nobody seems to understand.

Also, the fans of Cave Story are rabid. Of course they'd buy a remake on PC with improved graphics, better sound, new modes, and a cleaner translation. It's an enhanced remake. Granted, Cave Story Wii only effectively has one of those, so yeah.

I have Cave Story for the wii and it's definitely not broken and the translation is much better in some aspects. The music (which is great but imo doesn't fit the game very well because I'm used to the old soundtrack) plays exactly like you'd expect it to, there are a couple of problems regarding with the old music but that's about the only issue I ran into.Overall it's a lot better than the original, in my opinion.

The translation is definitely worse. Not only that, but there were some incredibly bone-headed decisions. Putting every character's name before EVERY SINGLE LINE is shitty UI. Maybe every time it switches speakers, but every goddamn line?

Also, the music is broken. Nicalis has come out and said the music is broken. Also, it sucks, so it's both bad and broken.

This leaves one redeeming quality: the increased resolution. Frankly, it's amazing.

So you'd rather trust Paul who only did and published a tower defence game over Tyrone who (apparently) have at least 15 years in the industry and was working in a few developers and publishers while he was probably in elementary school ? Fuck, I can believe Paul is a great dude and friend but you're pushing things waaaay too far, no ?

This just comes across as you being an incredibly pompous ass.

Yes, I trust Paul more. For one, he's a developer who has made, marketed, and sold his own game. I can't say the same for Nicalis. I would trust any of the game creators here more than Nicalis when it comes to creating, marketing, and selling a game.

Also, Paul is in his 30s. So... yeah.

You're basically just doing an appeal to authority here and everywhere in this thread. Nicalis is certainly not the authority on smart business decisions, and judging by his behavior, probably never will be.

now, on exclusives: I never saw nicalis deny it either. Nor I ever heard of a publisher proudly saying "we signed a lucrative deal to release our game only for the Z console.For the owners of the others consoles, i'm sorry but money is more important to us than you are." As in, it might not be legal issue. More like they dont wanna be called sell outs. or something.

There's plenty of examples of exclusivity deals being made public. Things such as the Capcom Five

I won't pretend to actually know if any of these affected Nicalis's decision, but less plausible to believe that Nicalis made a blind buisness decision and ignored all of that rather than believing they gave it some thought.

I don't believe he made a blind business decision. Just a really bad one.

At least it was the only game I found in his site. And I just found out he used game maker to make it.

This doesn't make it an inferior game, or Paul any less valid. Also, look harder. Paul has quite the resume of freeware games under his belt.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: March 28, 2010, 08:33:09 PM »

Man, you guys are ragin' pretty hard about the most popular wii ware game made by a guy that makes wii ware games. Best selling Wii ware game doesn't sound like poor business practices to me.

If Nicalis didn't helm this damn project, you wouldn't get any updated Cave Story, you Sillies.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2010, 08:39:35 PM »

I'd like to point out that people apparently keep referring to Nicalis as a person when Nicalis is only a legal fiction, like all businesses.

Man, you guys are ragin' pretty hard about the most popular wii ware game made by a guy that makes wii ware games. Best selling Wii ware game doesn't sound like poor business practices to me.

If Nicalis didn't helm this damn project, you wouldn't get any updated Cave Story, you Sillies.

This is the only Wiiware game made by a company which has, as yet, released only one Wiiware game.

Also, "best-selling" only means that it's on the Wiiware top twenty thing, which shows short-term best-selling games and doesn't give hard numbers.

It's hard to tell if all those people just bought the game because it was Cave Story, or because they genuinely felt it was worth the purchase. Much like movies, the first weekend is usually product of hype. Lets see how the game holds up over the next weeks.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »

I'd rather somebody else helm the project. Somebody who would work to allow awesome t-shirt designs through. Or port to PC. Or not remove YouTube videos of original Cave Story. In other words, someone who isn't Tyrone.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2010, 08:44:53 PM »

I'd rather somebody else helm the project.
Sorry, I checked my back pockets and it looks like we're fresh out of corporations. I guess we have to stick with mean ole' Nicalis  Sad
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2010, 08:50:22 PM »

I'd rather somebody else helm the project. Somebody who would work to allow awesome t-shirt designs through. Or port to PC. Or not remove YouTube videos of original Cave Story. In other words, someone who isn't Tyrone.

Your options are CaveStory Wii or No CaveStory Wii.

Which do you pick?

Edit: Snag Valter!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »

The main difference between you and Nicalis, is that Nicalis has to deal with Nintendo. Don't underestimate how much this can impact business.  Smiley Nothing to do with sales figures, it's the general food-chain of the games industry which adds complications.

good point, and i agree that it is different, but i've had to deal with distributers too -- ID was once in the process of getting on the xbla, but microsoft decided against it partway in that process. ID is also on various portals like reflexive, D2D, etc., so i've some experience with dealing with console publishers and such, even if the game isn't on a console. not as much as experience as nicalis of course, since they actually had a game on it, but enough to know how the contracts and NDA's and such work.

@ the discussion in general - to be clear, i wasn't saying that not putting night game on pc was a bad decision, just that electing not to tell fans of nifflas why, and evading the question when directly asked, was a bad decision, because it creates a gulf between the company and the community, and that it's always important to maintain a strong connection. even if they could not, contractually, reveal why it's not going to be released on the pc, they could have replied with 'we'd like to tell you why, but we cannot contractually tell you that, sorry.' instead of replying with, you know, nothing. one of my pet peeves are people who don't give answers to questions / don't reply to emails. i don't like when yoyo games does it either (the owner of game maker). it doesn't matter if it's a business the size of microsoft that does it or a little kid who just made a freeware game, not answering questions shouldn't be done.

mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2010, 09:12:44 PM »

Somebody who would work to allow awesome t-shirt designs through.

Yeah, but according to HARVEYJAMES(tm) it was Pixel who disallowed this, not Nicalis.  Of course, with better communication this might have been resolved somehow, but that's just speculation..  On the plus side though, at least this shows that Pixel still has some control over his creation.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2010, 09:16:57 PM »

Man, don't be pushing all this stuff on Tyrone.  It seems like some folk are pushing everything good that happens onto pixel, and everything bad onto Tyrone and Nicalis.  That isn't the case.  Pixel denied the shirts, pixel denied quote and curly to be in indie brawl, not Tyrone.  It's not evil puppet master final boss Tyrone, moving pixel's mouth and speaking for him from the shadows, he is merely the messenger!

Pixel isn't some flawless deity that knows no wrong and always pleases his fans, he's just some guy from japan that lives a normal life that happened to make a really awesome game.  I mean, just look at his quote about the music.  He likes it, and everyone fucking hates it.

I know it's very coincidental timing that once Nicalis stepped in it seems like all the previous things that pixel allowed are now denied, but these decisions came from he himself.  The unfortunate thing is, no, there is no way I can absolutely prove this to anyone.  And neither can Tyrone.  Hell, even if Pixel made an announcement, everyone would cry out that Nicalis is forcing him to say it.  Pixel isn't involved with the indie games scene in any shape or form, he doesn't interact with anyone, so nobody really knows what his true intentions are, and somewhere in the mix everyone starts projecting their own thoughts, opinions, and ideals onto him.  (Not to mention the language barrier, which means everything he says has to come through someone else via translation!)  He's not here to say anything for himself, so there's seemingly nothing to stop this madness!  I wouldn't be surprised if he is 100% unaware of everything happening surrounding Nicalis and cave story right now, aside from the fact that its the number one game on Wiiware and he's happier than shit to have his game out on a console.

I don't even know what my original point is.  Bah.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 09:21:22 PM by xerus » Logged
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #191 on: March 28, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »

I was just talking to tyrone. Apparently he removed pixel's brain and downloaded it to a PC. More on these developments as they come

googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2010, 10:17:57 PM »

long block of text

I'm sort of confused you seem to be simultaneously saying that Pixel has complete control over what happens with his stuff and saying that he has no idea what is going on.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2010, 10:24:32 PM »

long block of text

I'm sort of confused you seem to be simultaneously saying that Pixel has complete control over what happens with his stuff and saying that he has no idea what is going on.

Pretty much.  That's the impression I get from this entire ordeal, but its more or less my own speculation.
PaleFox
« Reply #194 on: March 29, 2010, 12:07:15 AM »

Hearing a lot of statements saying "we can't judge their motives, we aren't publishers, etc etc."

But you have to understand, one of the things companies must take into account is what the public thinks. If they make a decision that angers people, it is on them to explain it, not on you to apologize for it. That is basic business policy in any endeavor!

Also, games are one of the areas which even laymen are allowed to criticize with as much validity as any professional. After all, the point of a game, and a game company, is to please the consumer. If you are upsetting the consumers, you are doing it wrong.
jakten
Level 0

さわるとふらふらワタボー!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: March 29, 2010, 01:07:59 AM »

Also, games are one of the areas which even laymen are allowed to criticize with as much validity as any professional. After all, the point of a game, and a game company, is to please the consumer. If you are upsetting the consumers, you are doing it wrong.

Although I agree with you entirely, you have to realize that it is hard to please all people. The video game industry is a shining example of that. Any stop to a video game website would easily confirm that most gamers get offended easily and hold hard grudges. If what you say were true, all video game companies would be doing it wrong. Actually in a lot of ways appealing to everyone is why a lot of things wind up being mediocre at best, to which most mainstream movies and music are a shining example. They make billions of dollars and still upset people. I don't want to get too off topic though.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: March 29, 2010, 01:20:24 AM »

If you guys like the shirts so much, print your own. It doesn't cost that much to have a shirt printed, and the cost is insignificant if you're a true fan. Nobody is going to take you to court for that. Go print them and wear them.

Other than that, I think xerus is right and Eric is right and Valter is right and bento_smile is right.

jakten
Level 0

さわるとふらふらワタボー!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: March 29, 2010, 02:12:43 AM »

I somehow don't think Harvey James would appreciate you doing that.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: March 29, 2010, 02:15:24 AM »

Well my point was kind of that he (also Nicalis, Pixel and Nintendo) would never know you printed one t-shirt of his design and wore it sometimes. Get real.

jakten
Level 0

さわるとふらふらワタボー!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: March 29, 2010, 02:34:17 AM »

No but it's just fairly disrespectful to him considering he worked hard on those images.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic