Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 06:44:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[insert working title here]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [insert working title here]  (Read 5547 times)
Fats_
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:06:18 PM »

Hello everyone!

Here's a game I'm developing:

The game is something like a dual-stick shooter with some puzzly stuff. But I plan to add something more.

I have some ideas for the name, but haven't decided. Maybe something EDGY.

It's written in C++ / OpenGL and I plan to release it multi-platform (Win/Mac/Linux), and possibly iPhone / iOS. We'll see!

Here are a few videos, showing some rough gameplay and some effects:

Crystal shader, reflections / refractions and style test:

Dark theme, shooting, explosions, chaos!

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:56:30 PM »

Looks nice. What engine are you using?
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:03:01 PM »

he already said he's working in c++ and opengl, so I'm taking it something he's cooked up.

its looking really nice though.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 04:30:55 PM »

Really nice graphical style. Along with the unique-sounding gameplay elements, this could be really cool.

But there's not information about it yet. So I'll have to wait and see. Smiley
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 11:37:03 AM »

Beautiful, I liked the white more than the black. 
Fats_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 01:52:06 PM »

Thanks guys!

Yep, it is a tiny minimalistic engine, developed side by side as the game needs more stuff.

Yeah, I like the white look as well. I want to have a variety of different 'worlds', some will be darker.
rogerlevy
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 05:17:49 PM »

I applaud that you are using that development strategy.   Hand Clap  Then you'll be able to reuse the game engine for some later project.

Meanwhile... the graphics are really nice.  Zthere some kind of shader action going on?
VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 05:27:29 PM »

I applaud that you are using that development strategy.   Hand Clap  Then you'll be able to reuse the game engine for some later project.

Meanwhile... the graphics are really nice.  Zthere some kind of shader action going on?

From my experience with OpenGL (My game also runs on a custom (3D but pseudo 2D) engine that utilizes a lot of direct GL calls for speed.) it seems like the above tiny window is either an FBO or an GLSL render-target. I assume the window is there for verification/debug purposes.

Probably he's rendering some ambient occlusion shader to a texture there and applying it to the game. Would explain the nice soft shadows: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_occlusion
Fats_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 02:32:49 PM »

Thanks! Smiley

Yep, there are some shaders there for refractions etc.

From my experience with OpenGL (My game also runs on a custom (3D but pseudo 2D) engine that utilizes a lot of direct GL calls for speed.) it seems like the above tiny window is either an FBO or an GLSL render-target. I assume the window is there for verification/debug purposes.

Yeah, that's right. It's primarily used for effects. I feed it to some shaders. The AO is baked though Smiley
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 02:44:45 PM »

That's looking gorgeous. Do you have any plans for antialiasing? I feel like it could really benefit from some smoother edges.

Fats_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 02:47:09 PM »

That's looking gorgeous. Do you have any plans for antialiasing? I feel like it could really benefit from some smoother edges.

Thanks a lot! Yeah, definitely. I'll add that Smiley
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 03:45:10 PM »

That second screen.

It's beautiful.

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 12:39:24 AM »

First of all, it's a great job, compliments! When the ship goes behind an object (e.g. at 28" of the first video) could you make that object transparent? I prefer the brighter theme because this put in evidence AO.

Fats_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 03:30:36 PM »

Finally had some time to work on this today.

Implemented smooth camera movement with dynamic zooming, trails, new experimental weapon thing, and over-the-top explosion sparkles! Updated video here:

And fireworks!

Fats_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 03:32:49 PM »

Thanks Bood_War and yajo!

First of all, it's a great job, compliments! When the ship goes behind an object (e.g. at 28" of the first video) could you make that object transparent? I prefer the brighter theme because this put in evidence AO.

Yeah, I'll implement this, good point!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 03:56:06 PM »

the fireworks video is private, can't see it.
Fats_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 03:59:51 PM »

Strange! It shows as public here. I'm guessing it will clear up soon.
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 02:57:42 AM »

Cool, I notice though that the shots/fireworks don't get reflected in the floor like other objects do.

I could see the fireworks one fine btw.
Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 04:12:56 AM »

Nice perspective! I like the idea of a fixed camera. Time to think about a name for the game!  Roll Eyes

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
Fats_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 08:17:06 PM »

Alright! Did more stuff today! I call them 'Circuits':

The untextured thing in the middle is a generator. It is connected to the pads with wires. The orbs travel across the wires from the generator. When they arrive at the pads they materialize into enemies (specified by the type of the pad).

Here's a video:

I need to find better names for those things. The project lacks a name too.. doh. Naming crisis.
and I need to remove that crappy pillar next time!

Cool, I notice though that the shots/fireworks don't get reflected in the floor like other objects do.

I could see the fireworks one fine btw.

Ah yeah, they were actually being reflected but were not visible due to color/blending.
Updated video:

Nice perspective! I like the idea of a fixed camera. Time to think about a name for the game!  Roll Eyes

Haha yeah.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic