Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 04:34:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsUnity3D for Spritesheet Rendering?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Unity3D for Spritesheet Rendering?  (Read 6052 times)
valis
Level 0

Kaffiyeh Camel

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2010, 04:52:03 AM »

I'm wondering how Unity3D would work for rendering spritesheets of models, rotated 360 degrees by ten degree increments.

How easy would it be to cook up a script that would do that?  How good would the rendering be?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:59:44 AM by Derek » Logged
dongle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 04:02:25 PM »

Rotated on which axis? Several people on the forum have plugged SpriteManager as the best way to deal with sprites in Unity.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 05:01:33 PM »

http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=SpriteManager

and here's a link for it.
valis
Level 0

Kaffiyeh Camel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 09:43:07 AM »

Mmm.  What I was referring to-- sorry if this wasn't clear-- was producing 2D spritesheets from Unity3D.  Rendering 3D models in Unity from desired and rotated camera angles, getting it to output a spritesheet, and then using that spritesheet inside a 2D engine.

Ideas?  Is there a better method?
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 10:18:52 AM »

Do that with a proper 3D software?

I know that you can easily code that in blender, you only need to animate the camera (or the character) and then write a script to glue all images, if needed you can use ImageMagik

valis
Level 0

Kaffiyeh Camel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 03:06:11 PM »

Can't stand Blender.  hate hate hate.  I should just bite the bullet and learn how in Maya, should be easy enough with MEL.
dongle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 01:56:50 PM »

Hell, you can skip MEL and render animations as a series of TIFFs and stitch 'em in photoshop or something.

valis
Level 0

Kaffiyeh Camel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:46:38 PM »

Hell, you can skip MEL and render animations as a series of TIFFs and stitch 'em in photoshop or something.

ಠ_ಠ

That sounds like a task a computer might be good at.  And one that I would be terrible at.  Since I'm talking about numerous rotated sprites, I need a way to do it procedurally rather than going through the immense manual effort again and again.

I'm just going to write a raytracer and do it that way.
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:24:02 PM »

i've done similar in 3d studio, probably can be done in any 3d program... set up a camera that animates between each view angle while looping the animation as many times as there are view angles and render it out that way, then use another program to assemble the sprite sheets. 
If you have a light source that needs to be constant then attach it to your camera so that it is always in the position you need the light coming from.

TrialByFun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 03:44:23 AM »

Do you still want a script for this? It's definitely something thats pretty easy to do inside of unity.
valis
Level 0

Kaffiyeh Camel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 09:01:03 AM »

Yes, I'd be very interested in that.  

I've been looking into Unity myself and I will begin moving over to that after I finish my current project.

Edit: Actually, don't bother, I'm just going to continue for a little while with what I have and then move over to Unity for 3D, rather than dicking around with sprite rendering.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:52:17 AM by valis » Logged
TrialByFun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 10:44:27 AM »

Too late!
If you change your mind here's a set of scripts and a sample scene which should give you an idea of how to use it.

[save link as]
http://www.trialbyfun.com/Unity/TBFTurnAround.unitypackage

valis
Level 0

Kaffiyeh Camel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 11:09:52 AM »

Thanks very much!  I will use it, and perhaps it will be useful to someone else as well.  Cheers!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic