Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:50:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1542 1543 [1544] 1545 1546 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7287915 times)
siskavard
« Reply #30860 on: February 22, 2016, 04:01:46 PM »

The eye not bouncing was a mistake that I didn't catch, so for me trying to write it off as 'having character' doesn't work. I appreciate the input however.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30861 on: February 22, 2016, 06:11:10 PM »

I'mma throw my hat in the ring, not to weigh the discussion in either direction, because it's not that big of a difference, but rather to say that mistakes can give character. Not every part of a memorable character was a conscious (or even intentional) choice, per se.

Anyway:

Pretty cool, but the characters are rather small, so you might want to change how you draw their faces to accommodate the size. For example, Squirtle's OK, but Charmander's got kind of a (o o ) face going on.

Also:

Well, I was pretty reluctant to post after the Duelyst stuff Shocked, but here we go anyways. Giggle

One of my first pixel-art pieces ever (or maybe any kind of art in general), I'm a designer by trade.
It's for our up-coming medieval space-folktale, and based on concept-art.

How is nobody commenting on this? This is excellent, dude, especially for a first piece. There could be some improvements, sure, but you sidestepped almost all of the new pixeler mistakes - nice contrast, good color choices, really solid lighting and shading. Great work.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30862 on: February 22, 2016, 07:03:22 PM »

I would just like to point out that apparently Pixelation finally got a proper (really nice) forum skin back and that made me feel warm inside http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=19677.0
move along
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:16:15 PM by Schoq » Logged

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #30863 on: February 22, 2016, 09:52:43 PM »

@chriswearly, thanks for taking time looking at it!
In "defence" of two of the points: "minuet" is wordplay, and I couldn't use an ampersand (though I wanted) as that's just not the title of the track (it's for an actual album back cover).
As before I can't really explain much of my thought process and intentions as it was a while ago and I don't really remember. With the 6*6 base and thick curves I wanted something chunky and kind of different from what I usually do. I think what you did still retains that while cleaning it up a bit. Your edit of the digits in particular are definite improvements.
oh and just for completion: the remaining letters:
Oh ok, I did google it, so wasn't sure is it was supposed to be minuet. However, you misspelled "failien" then Wink And gotcha on the &.
Thanks for the compliments on my edit Smiley
And nice pangram, I like the X Smiley

Quick Q: Got any tips on FamiTracker? I "understand" how to "make music" (kinda), but not how to make my way around FT. Any pointers/resources?

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30864 on: February 22, 2016, 10:15:02 PM »

Wow my paranoia about missing important details is confirmed to be be warranted yet again!

Oh, it's not my music, I just arted for it :)
I personally gave up trying much to make music years ago and I mostly used milkytracker anyway.
However it just so happens that guy has some absolute beginner stuff typed up about chipmusic in general, which I guess doesn't help you much. sry!

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #30865 on: February 22, 2016, 10:25:45 PM »

Ohhh, ok. I attributed the "ozzed" in the fan-art, and the ozzed.net website, as you being the creator of both. Gotcha.

I've been looking for (I've always wondered where I could find) the basic explanation of chip-tune music, so actually that link is a god-send :D

Batowski
Level 0

Milan Batowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30866 on: February 23, 2016, 04:14:04 AM »

@TheLastBanana, @SolarLune: Thanks for the compliments.

Come to think of it, it's more like a collab between me and a friend of mine who is an art director and traditional pencil&paper concept artist with huge academic knowledge. He made the concept for the character and advised me with lightning, while I used my technical skills and theoretic knowledge (or rather devotion and observation) of pixelart.

It's interesting how we complement each other, he has no experience with the medium and digital art, and I have no education in traditional art and the basics of form creation, yet we can still combine and create something meaningful (hopefully)...

Anyway, feel free to critique as well, I really have no 'self respect' as an artist, because I don't consider myself one, so negative crit can't really hurt me. Smiley

This next piece is a GUI element, a mana-like display with discreet values. Again, based on a pencil&paper concept:

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30867 on: February 23, 2016, 11:03:24 AM »

Hi there!

We are showing the "fall" animation of Will, our heroic shopkeeper from Moonlighter (our game) Tongue The game has some Roguelike elements, so this is the animation that will be displayed when the player is defeated in combat :

Any feedback will be welcome! Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30868 on: February 23, 2016, 11:05:03 AM »

I love it, but it has more of a "facepalm" feeling than "oh noes I ded" feeling.
davidalbertainley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30869 on: February 23, 2016, 11:23:39 AM »

just some doodling Smiley
DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30870 on: February 23, 2016, 11:28:14 AM »

I love it, but it has more of a "facepalm" feeling than "oh noes I ded" feeling.

Thanks for the quick feedback! We get the idea...  Grin

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30871 on: February 23, 2016, 12:23:05 PM »

My only complaint is that the shadow should change when his pose shifts.
Animation is top notch though.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #30872 on: February 23, 2016, 12:27:14 PM »

But the shadow does change...

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30873 on: February 23, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »

Top-left of the shadow doesn't, it should align with the backpack.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30874 on: February 23, 2016, 02:53:11 PM »

probably gonna main Rashid if they fix the pc version

mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #30875 on: February 23, 2016, 04:31:06 PM »

smoother attack animation...

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30876 on: February 23, 2016, 04:50:45 PM »

Is it just me or does the shadow have a higher Y-resolution because it's a plain downscaling?
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30877 on: February 23, 2016, 05:19:04 PM »

I noticed it too. I stopped pointing those things out long ago because I guess the future of pixel art is we don't care about a grid

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30878 on: February 23, 2016, 10:02:39 PM »

cameo appearance of a friend in my game. I had a lot of fun making these.

@Batowski, that looks fantastic! I really like it! I can't think of anything to criticize on it, I just really like it! great colors, great design, etc

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30879 on: February 24, 2016, 01:36:37 AM »

My only complaint is that the shadow should change when his pose shifts.
Animation is top notch though.
But the shadow does change...
Top-left of the shadow doesn't, it should align with the backpack.

Thank you all for your feedback!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Pages: 1 ... 1542 1543 [1544] 1545 1546 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic