Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 10:38:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationDarby's Run [FINISHED] (2nd bugfix-download)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Darby's Run [FINISHED] (2nd bugfix-download)  (Read 27842 times)
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 03:54:14 PM »

Cute game Smiley Very unforgiving :D

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 06:54:46 PM »

I haven't even beaten level 3 yet Cry.

Anyway, congratulations us!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 07:16:42 PM »

Adorable and quite fun, despite the flaws that I'll talk about here.

But first the good stuff:

- Love the pixel art, Darby looks awesome, and adorable. Smiley
- I really like the apple inflating/pushing mechanics for platforming and how it makes the levels more interesting to try and traverse.
- The levels generated look very interesting.
- Nice music.

And now the not-so-good. Tongue

- Often when I make Darby move left he turns back to right when he stops, this can be quite annoying when shooting at apples.
- I don't feel it's really necessary that Darby dies from falling from a lightly high place. If you leave it so, make the necessary fall height at least twice what it is now. and he should die when he hits the ground, not in midair. Looks and feels weird.
- Sometimes the collision check for the shooting doesn't work. Usually when I'm touching the apple. The back of the beam is touching it but the apple doesn't respond.
- I can often jump from the side of platforms as Darby noticeably penetrates it a few pixels.
- Sometimes I'm fairly sure I landed on top of a hanging apple but I fall through. It's probably a matter of the check being too precise or only a small area under the sprite.
- Holding the jump button makes you jump constantly. It can cause unwanted mistakes. Usually you should jump only once each time you press the key.

Well, I guess that's about it. I can see this game being crazy awesome if the issues are fixed. Good luck to you two!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 08:53:07 PM »

That would make a good subtitle, wouldn't it? "Darby's Run. Very unforgiving"

I haven't even beaten level 3 yet Cry.
Anyway, congratulations us!
Congratulations us, too. Somehow we finished it, eh? I need a break at the beach soon...

Well, I guess that's about it. I can see this game being crazy awesome if the issues are fixed. Good luck to you two!
Thanks for the flowers!
But more remarkably: You almost found every bug on my list, congratulations! (I will remember your name for possbile game-test actions)  Wink Unfortunately, I ran out of time here. Building and testing these nasty branches out of Inane's lovely tree-repository eat up all the time. I even had to cut off four different types of apples with different behavior which were really *almost* working. Oh my...

Well, there is enough content for "Darby's Return"... (somehow Terry had a dread about it) Wink
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 08:55:35 PM by Lazycow » Logged

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »

I TOTALLY wanna see more of Darby.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 03:26:04 PM »

I get a ton of bizarre graphical errors when playing with factor set to 2 (1, 2, 3). Also, every directional key but right moves Darby left, and, as Melly said, as soon as I release them he turns right again. That does not happen if I just landed.

Other than that, this is a very nice game. The PG works really well! Great job.
shucks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 09:08:06 PM »

this game looks really good but for some reason when I turn left it immediately turns right. its kind of annoying when im trying to laser one of those fruit things if they're left of me. Also the music and sounds seem to stutter, some kind of lag issue?
Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 11:17:41 PM »

I get a ton of bizarre graphical errors when playing with factor set to 2
Oh! Is that Windows Vista? (I was only able to test it on XP) Please try fullscreen mode (remove the "window" in darby.ini)
The glitches are probably caused by fullscreen windows. That is not supported, either use Fullscreen mode or a window that is smaller than your screen.

this game looks really good but for some reason when I turn left it immediately turns right.
Darby likes to look to the left  Huh? That's a bug, yes. About the music, seems like the buffers are not big enough. Which Windows do you use?

Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 03:08:05 AM »

bugfix update: darbysrun11.zip
V1.1: (06.06.2008)
  - bug fixed: Darby no longer turns right after walking to the left
  - bug fixed: Darby no longer falls through apples
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 03:10:58 AM by Lazycow » Logged

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 06:16:24 PM »

Nice and to the point.
A very good entry. Only problem is that I found level 2 a bit hardcore (I dunno  if they are randomized, in which case, level2 might be different to everybody?)
 Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 06:25:10 PM »

Nice, works better than the previous version for sure.  Beer!

However, now if you land on the apples coming from the side there's a chance that you'll push the apple sideways in the air. It actually made an instance of level 2 unbeatable.

Good luck.

Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 09:37:30 AM »

A very good entry. Only problem is that I found level 2 a bit hardcore (I dunno  if they are randomized, in which case, level2 might be different to everybody?)
Yes, the levels are different each time you start the game. Wasn't that one of the requirements of this competition?
Anyway, what is so difficult, if I may ask? I always though it is a bit too easy.

However, now if you land on the apples coming from the side there's a chance that you'll push the apple sideways in the air. It actually made an instance of level 2 unbeatable.
Aww, not this bug again. Seems like I have to do another bugfix-release, so thanks for testing!  Gentleman (But it should still be solvable)

zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 10:00:42 AM »

Very nice!   Beer!
I personally would have gone with slightly more sedate music, but it worked.  I think procedurally generated platformers are definitely a challenge, and I think your solution worked out well.  Initially I was irritated thinking I had lost by bumping some of the apples with my head, causing them to fall and removing crucial platforms, but I noticed that they re-spawned after a while.  A good plan, though it might help to speed that process up just a bit. It would also be nice if there was a way to distinguish between apples that fall and those that float some direction, but that's easily done.
Very fine work!
Cheers,
--Zack
Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 08:07:51 AM »

Initially I was irritated thinking I had lost by bumping some of the apples with my head, causing them to fall and removing crucial platforms, but I noticed that they re-spawned after a while.  A good plan, though it might help to speed that process up just a bit.
Thanks for the feedback! You are right, that respawn-time was too long.
Here's the bugfixed version... (sorry for the delay, but maybe it is not too late)  Embarrassed

darbysrun.zip

V1.2:
  - Darby survives jumps from greater heights
  - apples respawn in half of the time now
  - Darby's air supply and score is displayed now
  - bug fixed: walking on apples do not move them anymore

Mr.moo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 02:43:22 PM »

so this is the program, very nice i'd be happy to help, do you do programming and various....

DO THE R.O.B!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic