Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:12:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 903237 times)
Capitalism and Death
Level 0

Drugs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2260 on: December 28, 2012, 01:23:29 AM »

Last night, I bought a few Game Boy cartridges and a GBA one.  I'm mostly enjoying Qix for Game Boy.  This is my first experience with Qix -- I don't think I've ever seen it in an arcade.  The abstract qix creature alone is entertaining to watch, and the game is fun.

I want to play Mario's Picross 2, but the battery in the cartridge is dead, so I'm going to wait until I can replace it.  I'm also playing Hexcite for GBC and Magical Vacation for GBA which is a JRPG with detailed pixel art and what seems like an interesting story about going on a school vacation.

Last time I posted in this thread I was going for the last car in F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, and I finally got it.  It took me over a decade!  And I actually played it off and on the entire time.  There's a clause that if you try over 255 times, the car gets unlocked regardless of whether you succeed, and I'm pretty sure I came close to the limit.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #2261 on: December 28, 2012, 09:56:25 PM »

Samtagonist said something good about an indie game?

12/21/12 did happen after all.
CadmiumRED
Level 0

Poseidal Army Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: December 28, 2012, 10:04:05 PM »

Played some Super Ghouls n Ghosts earlier this afternoon.  Such a fantastic SNES game.

If you want to contact me via AIM, PM me first and provide your screen name.  I will contact you as soon as I get it.
forwardresent
« Reply #2263 on: December 29, 2012, 10:10:14 AM »

Just finished Spec Ops, really liked it.
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2264 on: December 29, 2012, 07:48:11 PM »

Nothing...until I get my new laptop and play Torchlight 2 and Killing Floor.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2265 on: December 29, 2012, 10:33:05 PM »

Been playing They Bleed Pixels.  Pretty fun challenging platformer.  Kind of like Super Meat Boy, but with combat.  While not as impeccable as SMB, the platforming is pretty smooth and the combat system is pretty fun (and does a good job dissuading against button mashing).

The part of the game which I'd call truly ingenious is the checkpoint system.  You have to fill up your meter by grabbing blood-blobs and killing enemies.  Once the meter is full, you get a checkpoint as soon as you can stand still on solid ground and not be too close to any enemies.  This does a good job of pacing checkpoints effectively, and making blob grabbing and combos feel important.  Especially with how difficult the game is, being able to speed up your next checkpoint by grabbing more blobs can be a life saver, and finding solid ground when you've got a full charge can be such a relief.  And with all the double-jumping, wall-jumping and slippery floors, it can be long stretches where you can't stand still.

That said, the game does ramp up in difficulty quite a bit, and often reaches over that threshold into frustrating.

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: December 30, 2012, 11:32:12 AM »

Pokemon black 2

my FC is:4943 4302 3467

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: December 30, 2012, 12:37:48 PM »

PUNCH ALL THE THINGS

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2268 on: December 30, 2012, 06:06:55 PM »

I played quite a lot of Happy Wheels just now. It's fun to say the least.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2269 on: December 31, 2012, 03:44:11 AM »

I hadn't played GTA 4 yet, so I bought this Grand Theft Auto 4: Complete Edition for 8 euros on Steam yesterday. Fuck that, I want a refund. This is one of those shitty console ports of a game again, just like Doom 3: BFG was.

First you run the game and you're asked to log into the Social Club thing. No thanks, just let me play. I then clicked Play (Offline) and a message box pops up telling I'm not logged in. I pressed Ok and the game launches. Or not, really. You're greeted with this:

It's clear to see somebody made this in 5 minutes and thought "That is some nice menu!". The least they could've done is vertically align the text in the buttons and make them all equal in size. This text mis-alignment just tickles my brain in a bad way.

I eventually got to GTA 4. Firstly I noticed how crap everything looks. Checking the Options I saw that all Graphics settings had been turned to their lowest options. "Whatever, I'll crank them up" I thought. Well, your outta luck there. You can't change any option. After a quick web search I found out that you have to add -norestrictions under launch options in Steam. Well, that's user friendly ... what possible reason is there for that Facepalm

I then started a new game. A Microsoft thingy pops up in the top of the screen and asks me to sign into my Windows Game - LIVE account, whatever that is. I didn't think I had account and couldn't be bothered to create one. Then a bunch of confirmation screens appread where I had press Esc and Return randomly. The game then told me I couldn't save my progress unless I created the account. "Fuck off already!". After skipping some cutscene I finially managed to do some driving around but the car physics felt so weird I actually closed the game and Google if that was the correct behaviour. I guess it is.

This morning I decided to try again. Launched the game and started registering the account. An Internet Explorer window popped up where I could enter my email for the account. I typed in my main email address and continued only to be told to use Microsoft Live account. Huh. Plus, why the Xbox branding all over the site. Last I checked I was suffering trough a PC game. I went back to the game and a login screen had appeared somehow. I then realized that the Live account is the one I use for MSN. So I logged in. Immediately I was told an update is available and asked if I wanted to install it. Declining would close the game. So I agreed. Some update bar appeared and everything was joyous. After it completed I had to restart the game. So I did. After logging in again some text appeared on the screen briefly and the game crashed. I restarted the game again and finally could log in and play. I immidiately tried saving the game as that was the luxury feature I was going for. A small text told me not to turn off my system while saving. "Huh. I'm not playing a console, remember?! Who would turn off their PC mid-game? Geez ..."

After 10 minutes of bad performance and some ugly texture popup I uninstalled the game and went back to Saints Row The Third.

If that's how Rockstar treats their players I have no interest in the upcoming GTA 5.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 08:04:04 AM by Eigen » Logged

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: December 31, 2012, 03:52:28 AM »

This is why, given the choice, I always go with the console version of a game.

Also, it should be pretty clear by now that Grand Theft Auto is basically the video game version of an exploitation film. You're not playing it for quality level design, or brilliant cinematics, or an award winning plot, you're playing it because it's a funny sandbox game about criminals. Any mechanical depth or unlockables are just gravy Rockstar decided to pour on top, not an intrinsic part of the experience or marketing.
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: December 31, 2012, 04:52:41 AM »

I just got back from Comiket, so I have a huge stack of games to play - including some bizarre visual novel about your girlfriend who turns into an alpaca, or something. Nine games in total.

I've also been playing Survival Kids for the GBC, because someone mentioned it in the isolation thread. Seems pretty good.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: December 31, 2012, 05:52:46 AM »

http://eigen.pri.ee/images/gta4menu.jpg

It's clear to see somebody made this in 5 minutes and thought "That is some nice menu!".

I can sympathize with the rest of your complaints, but that is some nice menu. Menus are supposed to get out of your way, and there's always someone who would manage to hide those three options behind layers and clutter. This one's self-explanatory and doesn't need anything else, plus it describes the setting at a glance.

And of course it fits GTA how you're basically greeted with "Oi! You either play or you quit, punk, so what's it gonna be".
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: December 31, 2012, 07:58:09 AM »

GTA IV is far, far better than Saints Row 3. Just... saying.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: December 31, 2012, 08:36:27 AM »

i think saints row 3 would've been about 3x better without the boob physics

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: December 31, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »

i didnt like the humor in saints row 3. when everything is as over the top as possible shit gets dull fast. the game itself is ok i guess.

i dont get why gta 4 is so hated (aside from the admittedly terrible pc port). I loved it.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: December 31, 2012, 08:51:43 AM »

i liked gta4 but i never finished it because the final mission is so fucking TERRIBLE i tried to beat it and died to glitches and shit like 4-5 times, it restarts you back at the beginning each time

but the deformable vehicles n stuff was great. best traffic sim game ever

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: December 31, 2012, 12:27:40 PM »

Playing Bit.Trip.Runner
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2278 on: December 31, 2012, 01:24:42 PM »

Mark of the ninja

AshfordPride
« Reply #2279 on: December 31, 2012, 01:34:40 PM »

NOPE.  NOPE.

Of course I couldn't get out of this without buying something that was absolute garbage.  Picked up Hitman: Absolution and holy shit, I don't even know what to say about it.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic