Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412027 Posts in 69446 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: ZerusW

June 20, 2024, 04:22:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationTIGS PG Compo Secondary Public Awards!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: TIGS PG Compo Secondary Public Awards!  (Read 9358 times)
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 11:56:17 AM »

Why not just have a best and worse of each category. So, best background music and worst background music (with no background music being not an option, its got to be terrible to win). Do the same for "best/worst game", then add the vaporware category? "Most/least fun" Smiley

I think it'd be too mean to have worst cathegories.

Unless it runs on XNA? Smiley Actually, I'm in favor of mostly positive categories when I think about it, I'd qualify for too many of the negatives. Sad
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 11:57:58 AM »

The "games you couldn't play" isn't a cathegory for bad games, but games you couldn't get working. Tongue But I might drop it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 12:05:47 PM »

How about "Best game made at the last minute"? Cool

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 12:12:48 PM »

How about "Best game made at the last minute"? Cool

Working on something you're not telling us about, Terry? ;-)

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 12:15:11 PM »

Maybe* :D

* No

[edit] I lied! :D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 07:58:33 AM by Terry » Logged

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 12:32:15 PM »

Nah, you can't really prove that your game really was made on the last minute. I know most people here are honest, but I'd rather not dwell in uncertain things. Tongue

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 02:28:39 PM »

I finished my game "Faith, to a certain degree" on the sunday, monday before the deadline. :D Hours and hours of worship to Microsoft Office. (and my Saitek-keyboard)(ohmygawditexportsPDFafterIinstalledtherightpluginyaaaaay)

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 06:27:07 AM »

I was thinking about this! Or moreso, that it's going to be a bastard to pick three entries. Some Aux categories would ease my mind whilst voting!

Also, Last Minute category should be go!
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »

A mere three votes again would be torture. Shocked

Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 07:39:03 AM »

best physics!

Love the idea of secondary awards.

Maybe not as a category, but I think all the multi-platform games should get special gold stars. Props to people providing mac/linux binaries.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 07:51:32 AM »

With so many entries, I'll see if I can create pools that let you vote for 5 entries or less. Derek should also pay heed and give us around 5 votes for the main winner voting too, or else it'll be another nightmare to decide. Tongue

Man, 40 entries... these pools might be a bit challenging to create, but I already took the responsability so here goes.

Keep giving me suggestions. I'm thinking that at least 10 games should qualify for a cathegory.

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 08:13:27 AM »

Well, from my suggestions over at the 4E6 contest, cross platform is a great category. You know, for us Linux zealots, oh, and those mac... people too. Smiley

Probably could break apart the PG stuff for the sub-entries, you know like PG music, PG textures, PG layout, etc. Actually, I have a reasonable entry for layout and music. Smiley PG dialog I don't though.

Best shump, explorer (like Metroid's hidden stuff), easter eggs. A category for casual game or the classic categories (rpg, platformer, etc).

# of votes should be (int) (log(entries))+1. Smiley Because everyone loves log. More so for International Log!
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 08:16:54 AM »

Hehe, I can't really understand logs *sucks at math*

Anyway, I still have a while and I want to see all the finished entries before deciding, but thanks for the suggestions.

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 09:02:29 AM »

(int) (log(entries))+1

CastException Tongue

I propose log base pi. Because no-one has a single button on their calculator for log base pi. ;-)

*waits for photographic evidence proving him wrong*

Hehe, I can't really understand logs *sucks at math*

Basically, it means that you get an extra vote on an increasingly-infrequent basis as entry counts go up.

The logn of a number X is the power to which you would have to raise n in order to get X. So, for example, log10(10) = 1, because 101 = 10. log10(100) = 2, because 102 = 100.
So basically, when the number of entries crosses a n-to-the-power-of-an-integer boundary, you get another vote. So if we used log10(entryCount) + 1, you'd have two votes for 10-99 entries, three votes for 100-999 entries, four votes for 1000-9999 entries, and so on.

(Of course, if you used traditional rounding instead of a truncation to get an integer number of votes out, then you'd get the vote earlier 'cause log10(X) = 0.5 for an X somewhere between 31 and 32, but that's beside the point.)

Traditionally, "log" on its own means a log base of 10, and "ln" means a log base of e (2.7somethingsomethingsomethingetc.). So I'd suggest that ln(entryCount) + 1 might be better than log(entryCount) + 1 if people were complaining that three votes wasn't enough already! ;-)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:04:08 AM by Sar » Logged

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 09:07:31 AM »

I'm too sleepy to understand any that you wrote there. Shocked

Anyway, I'm gonna keep it simple. Number of votes will be a seventh of the number of entries elligible for each cathegory, rounded up.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 10:04:27 AM »

• Most compact game.

The contest rules say:
In video games it is generally used to either generate "random" content (like graphics or levels), or to reduce file size.  This competition is focused on the former, but you may choose to apply the theme however you see fit.

We need to pick a winner among the games also focusing on the latter! I saw a "64kB shooter"-entry out there!

My game was also pretty tight, until I cheated during the last minute stress and added a .png-image and an image-loading-library that together tripled the size of my game.  Tongue

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 10:07:03 AM »

Haha, like I said, at least around a fourth of the total entries need to be elligible for a cathegory for me to use it, otherwise there isn't much competition, but I'll keep an eye for very small entries and we'll see.

I'm going to do the most generic cathegories first. Depending on how people get into it I'll do more until around 10 or so max.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2008, 10:35:12 AM »

But pretty much every game in a PG contest should be eligible for a "most compact"-category! I don't know if it's only me, but the PG-rate/PG-focus of every game is an interesting factor to me!

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 10:39:50 AM »

(int) (log(entries))+1

CastException Tongue

No, that parses perfectly fine, at least in C-based languages. It just truncates it when it converts to an integer, but I'm just rude that way (that and we don't have a system for 1.23 votes).

I propose log base pi. Because no-one has a single button on their calculator for log base pi. ;-)

Oh, I never thought about that. I agree, logπ(x) would be awesome. Not going to happen, but still... (bah, the pi character looks horrible in this font).

Traditionally, "log" on its own means a log base of 10, and "ln" means a log base of e (2.7somethingsomethingsomethingetc.). So I'd suggest that ln(entryCount) + 1 might be better than log(entryCount) + 1 if people were complaining that three votes wasn't enough already! ;-)

See, there is where I screwed up. I keep forgetting that it is log10 when you write it by hand because the C# Log is base e. I use log() a lot in my scoring, mainly because it helps reduce that pinball mechanic and give you the nice feeling of rapid success at the beginning but really makes a +1 score a challenge later. Kind of the same reason

As for compact, nope, didn't even try. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic