Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 04:47:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkLooking for artist for top down "Trilby: The Art Of Theft"/"Nethack" mashup
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for artist for top down "Trilby: The Art Of Theft"/"Nethack" mashup  (Read 2314 times)
Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2011, 06:49:07 AM »

I'm working on a top down thieving game. The idea is that you are a thief, and your objective is to steal something (not sure what yet Tongue) To follow the "Trilby" spirit, light and darkness will be important (so I'm doing 2D shadow casting)

The idea is that you start on the ground level, outside the building, work your way in, past guards, go up/down levels and find your objective. Using everything you can find to help you (nethack style)

Just some idea's I'm having:
-Guards patrol with flashlights, getting spotted means serious trouble.
-Stealthy, and less stealthy options (rope between buildings, rocket launcher to blow up a wall)
-Randomly generated, and fixed levels

This will be a hobby game, so no rush, no pay, but lots of fun. I'm mainly looking for an artist, because my art skills are limited to "this is a red square! WITH EYES!" I was thinking about retro looking sprites myself, but if someone wants to do trixels (voxels) then that's up for discussion.

If you're interested just leave a message, I'm also up for any other type of collaboration, but art is the main problem for me.

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 03:01:47 AM »

This sounds honestly quite interesting, but could you perhaps post something more tangible and concrete? A few WIP screens, ideally something playable, or a bit more data regarding things like target platform, screen resolution, tile information, real-time or not, the whole shebang.

But that said, it definitely sounds very intriguing so far.

(← new art twitter)
Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 02:29:58 AM »

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/3041/screenshotyb.png <- showing my shadowcasting working.

I'm targeting PC right now. I can build for Windows and Linux myself, but the source will be cross platform compatible. (I can also target some stranger targets like the GP2X and Wii homebrew) While both screenshots show linux, I'm mainly working on windows. I know a guy with a Mac, so I might be able to target the Mac as well.

It will be real time, currently I'm using 16x16 tiles (scaled up 2x) however, I'm no artist, if 24x24 fits better, or 32x32, or 16x24, or anything else, then my code easily adepts to that.

Screenshot of my current version:

(The sprites are from nethack, the tiles... I don't remember, nothing is animated, because I lack animated sprites)

I'm currently working on the "basic" game logic code, general game logic like walking around, getting detected, guards moving around. Stuff like that. Guard AI is my main focus at the moment. They just walk around the room right now, doing nothing. But I want to set patrol paths for them.

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic