Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411911 Posts in 69430 Topics- by 58477 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 10, 2024, 06:33:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeVENTING! Why do people just disappear - in a two-man project?!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: VENTING! Why do people just disappear - in a two-man project?!  (Read 14894 times)
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2011, 10:59:27 AM »

These look bloody amazing and where is your DevLog? Please. And Thank You.

(The Devlog, much like the game itself, is in the works. Smiley

I've found a partner who is pretty much the opposite of what this topic is about (and before I created it, too), and we both want to meet certain minimum presentability standards first.

But as soon as we have a non-shoddy build, we'll be sure to put it up - both of us are already looking forward to it. Smiley )

</threadjack>

Anyway, I'm proud to announce another guy bailing on me - a writer, as the case usually is, but I'm actually not cross this time - these characters were way too nice to be used by someone without the necessary motivation Smiley

Generally, as an artist, I have been reduced to picking from the following options:

1.) Paid projects, with a semi-decent to good salary, and lots of artistic freedom. If the employer likes a creative guy and doesn't mind his vision put on its head, then both will profit enormously from it, and the project above all.

2.) Just doing my own shit and attract someone who's naturally motivated by it. It's win-win, because in case everything fails, I keep my stuff and can go ask the next person.

Basically, as an artist, I learned that I need to become 50 % game designer, because realistically, the folks doing "real" work are only the coders, the sound artists, and the graphics artists.
Most people advertising themselves as any other kind of role - not all, mind you, just the ones I've encountered - are just... well, let's keep this family friendly and call them "not the individuals you want to work with".

I've tried about eight different "writers", and they've all been the most incompetent, flaky individuals you could ever imagine.
I'd love for some good writer to come along and convince me that it's not like that - Tim Schaefer and Ron Gilbert are already busy, but there has to be someone that knows what writing for a game actually means, and how you do it...

And actually, I feel "game designers" are the most important people of all (and I'm honestly only working as a substitute for them), but no-one actually has an idea what a game designer is. You need to be good at math, you need to be able to tell a story... It's pretty much the chief role in any project.
Again, I'd cream myself if I ever encountered a competent game designer myself, but so far I've only met "idea guys"...

And "idea guys" are just another square on my very personal indie bingo card...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:16:08 AM by Miguelito » Logged

(← new art twitter)
HyperEXTurbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2011, 12:37:35 PM »

I wouldn't mind working on something with you Miguelito. I'm definitely not an established game designer (only releasing a couple games online) but I AM competent. I actually made a thread for myself here.

The only reason past projects (whether they were projects I led or another person's) have failed is because of flaky artists, programmers, and 3D artists. I've got 2 design documents that are over 30 pages long each just lying in my hard drive now.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2011, 01:36:05 PM »

If anyone needs a writer, I'm there. As the people helping me with my current game can testify, I'm very prompt and I would love to have something to stick in my portfolio. I've played about a quadrillion games and wrote a feature film script, so I'm pretty confident in my abilities.

im9today
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2011, 04:40:50 PM »

people go missing all the time. maybe his ghost will help you solve his murder or lead you to his hidden will andor gold
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2011, 05:32:58 PM »

From what I've seen, the most reliable type of teaming is when person A does programming and art, and B does music and perhaps some design. This far I've never had problems with composers, and their suggestions for atmosphere and such have always been great!
That's the exact setup for my company right now! Coffee

EddieBytes
Level 1

I have ideas, and I'm not afraid to use them

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »

From what I've seen, the most reliable type of teaming is when person A does programming and art, and B does music and perhaps some design. This far I've never had problems with composers, and their suggestions for atmosphere and such have always been great!
That's the exact setup for my company right now! Coffee

I find it difficult to find any flaw in your setup. However, if you're just starting out (like me) and you're only one guy, best setup if you're the programmer:
- you do the programming, the art, the music, the website, the marketing. Learn art, music, web design, marketing and  at basic level. Doesn't need to be ART, you don't need to be a pro at these, just something for the real artist or musician (which you'll have later, when your game is almost finished or finished) or webdev or whatever to improve upon.
- let the other guys do their thing, if you find volunteers to do it for free or if you're willing to pay them
- if you can't find the other guys, the only loss is that those things are not as good as they could have been if you actually had more ppl helping you.

You are the lead of the project, you should know a bit of each skill anyway, if you're to call yourself a leader of the team.

If you're the programmer, you don't actually need to rely on anyone, to do your programming. Everything else can come after, just use placeholders.

I'm a one man team and I do everything. And I find it works great for me.

Check out our thread for Boltus
P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2011, 04:28:21 PM »

Ehh, there've been times where I've blown a project off because the other party didn't seem very serious (I want to make a Metroidvania!  No I've never made a game before, why do you ask?) but usually I'd actually...try and leave a message at least.

More definitively, and if I can give some insight into things here: A while back somebody took me up on an offer to do some concept art for them and I got a couple of hours into drawing and had a serious attack of "CHRIST I AM TERRIBLE AT ART" and got cold feet.  I ended up delaying a few times and only submitting a couple of things.  I imagine the idea of party A occasionally realizing they've committed over their perceived skill level is a thing that happens.

More recently, I actually worked through a project successfully with a coder.  He said early on how he'd had multiple artists flake on him already.  Then later in the project he started regularly saying my work wasn't good enough for the target market with little to offer besides that.  (Do note I was working basically for free, here.)  All of a sudden the concept of previous artists jumping ship made sense to me.  We did complete the project, though, and for that reason I'd work with him again. 

I guess I'd point out that there are a number of reasons someone might flake.  But people should at least have the common courtesy/professionalism to give a heads up, right?
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2011, 04:55:45 PM »

the other party didn't seem very serious (I want to make a Metroidvania!  No I've never made a game before, why do you ask?)

Hey, I resent that.
P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2011, 05:09:10 PM »

the other party didn't seem very serious (I want to make a Metroidvania!  No I've never made a game before, why do you ask?)

Hey, I resent that.

Hey!  You are a super-active mother lover.  You don't count.  I was more talking about "idea guys" who have nothing to their name, art, coding, music or otherwise.

And I mean even in that case the person could be very serious, but there's usually other tells that give away the project being unlikely and...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic