Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411803 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 05:55:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 175734 times)
Blambo
« Reply #680 on: July 20, 2013, 09:31:24 AM »

Just watched Space Odyssey again. The last third of the film was impenetrable, and I'm sure I'm missing a lot by passing it all off as an allegory for the evolution of man and the definition of advancement, but the cinematography and musical choice is just glorious. The slow, almost comedic casual portrayal of humanity in space is impressive in its own right, and the way it toys with familiarity is astoundingly effective. Long, dry, noiseless shots set a base point and grounded reality in which the audience is expected to fill in details by themselves. The action comes from the dynamism of scale and epic proportion rather than the animal interactions of humans, after all this is not a human story.

Fucking brilliant.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #681 on: July 20, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »

Just watched Space Odyssey again. The last third of the film was impenetrable

If you read Clarke's novel, everything makes perfect sense. 2010 the novel is also surprisingly good (definitely better than the movie).

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Blambo
« Reply #682 on: July 20, 2013, 01:02:31 PM »

I heard that Clarke's novel and the movie were totally separate, but that may have just been Kubrick reinforcing the ambiguity in interpretation of his film.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #683 on: July 20, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »

The novel was written concurrently with the film.

Blambo
« Reply #684 on: July 20, 2013, 01:33:17 PM »

Right, but Kubrick publicly declared the film separate from the novel because the novel's explanation of the monolith contradicted with kubrick's intention of making his film highly interpretable.

So in terms of the film, it's up in the air, right?
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #685 on: July 20, 2013, 01:54:54 PM »

Saw Proof of Life the other day on public TV. It was okay. Dull cinematography, interesting plot and cast that ranged from good to mediocre. (3/5)

paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #686 on: July 21, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »

Right, but Kubrick publicly declared the film separate from the novel because the novel's explanation of the monolith contradicted with kubrick's intention of making his film highly interpretable.

So in terms of the film, it's up in the air, right?
Yep.

What are some of everyone's favourite slow films?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 21, 2013, 03:28:20 PM »

once upon a time in the west, stalker
deathtotheweird
« Reply #688 on: July 21, 2013, 03:38:45 PM »

aside from 2001...
no country for old men
solaris
apocalypse now
the good shepherd (no one seems to like this though)

slow movies are the best movies
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 21, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »

isnt the good shepherd just the godfather with CIA agents? because thats what it felt like to me when i watched it. wasnt bad tho.

EDIT: speaking of gangster movies and once upon a time in the west, once upon a time in america is a great movie too, but you gotta watch the original cut. the 90 minute one completely mutilates the plot and makes no sense.
Blambo
« Reply #690 on: July 21, 2013, 03:54:39 PM »

About slow movies

If not for the actual pace of the story, Goodfellas achieves the same kind of effect that no country does by framing violence in the same way nonviolence is framed, except goodfellas is more verbal and no country is more nonverbal.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 21, 2013, 04:42:33 PM »

gattaca, mr nobody, moon

most good sci fi movies are slow paced

in bruges, se7en

idk, how slow paced are we talking?

because it could mean "there will be blood"-esque 3 hour long drama

or it could mean "not a summer blockbuster"

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
deathtotheweird
« Reply #692 on: July 21, 2013, 05:21:48 PM »

I don't think there's any rules to define what a slow paced movie is, it's pretty subjective I think. Longer shots, minimal or quiet music, infrequent dialogue, few action scenes, etc.
paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #693 on: July 22, 2013, 06:39:08 AM »

Never heard of Mr. Nobody will check that out. Love Once Upon... West but I've never actually seen Once Upon.. America.
I don't think there's any rules to define what a slow paced movie is, it's pretty subjective I think. Longer shots, minimal or quiet music, infrequent dialogue, few action scenes, etc.
Yea, long shots, minimal dialogue, minimal camera movement maybe, and perhaps not a lot of plot or at least not a lot straightforwardly presented. Meek's Cutoff was one of the best films I've seen in recent years.

Mirror has been one of my favourite films for a long time (along with Solaris) so looking forward to watching Stalker soon. Has anyone seen Nostalghia or the Sacrifice?

Any documentaries in this vein?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:49:37 AM by paulmcgg » Logged
Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 22, 2013, 10:49:50 AM »

Once upon a time in the west has some great music in with it too.. I heard it around the house growing up.

Slow movies: There will be blood.  That was a first thought I had had about a new'ish one.  Alot of the sluggers from what I'd say fit the definition (albeit the American films listed) have slowly sludged out.  And then one more that I feel fits the "Longer shots, minimal or quiet music, infrequent dialogue.. etc" that I'm dropping in here, please excuse the Deschanel, but I really liked the shots, dialogue, minimal music choices and sorta hollow sound scape of All the Real Girls, and also I guess I liked George Washington too by the same guy David Gordon Green.  (Yeah, its the PineApple express guy..)

And again.  The Holy Mountain.  Which to me is like celluloid poetry.

Trying more and more to relate less and less to Sisyphus.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #695 on: July 22, 2013, 05:52:16 PM »

Slow movies:

-From tarkovski I liked "stalker" a lot, didn't like "solaris", mostly because I don't like the "everything-is-a-dream/no-reality" type of scenarios. Same reason why I can't enjoy movies such as Mr nobody or the fountain, etc...

-Not sure if it qualifies but "night of the hunter"

-If you think spaggheti westerns qualify, then you can't omit giu la testa slowest I've seen and most epic

-Europa , from Lars von trier (only movie I've seen from him, but a real gem)

-and best for the end, all Jim Jarmusch movies are slow and awesome, except maybe his latest "The Limits of Control" (trying too hard).
"Stranger than paradise" must be his slowest movie, and probably my favorite.
Special mention to "down by law" just for the "ice cream" scene

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #696 on: July 22, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »

Slow movies:

In addition to the ones mentioned (especially 2001 and Once Upon a Time in the West), I'd also include Seven Samurai and Takeshi Kitano's Zatoichi (In fact, most Takeshi Kitano movies would fit this bill).

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 24, 2013, 01:25:39 AM »

Takeshi Kitano is boss. I have most of his films on DVD. He just needs to cut on the violence a bit and drop the gangster themes more often. Love Hana-Bi.

Saw The Impossible yesterday. Missus cried like a baby. Tearjerker right there, folks.

Yeah.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 24, 2013, 03:48:56 AM »

Slow movies:
Solaris (doesn't matter which version).  I actually think that both versions have merits and would totally recommend both.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 24, 2013, 04:02:48 AM »

speaking of kitano sonatine is a very good "slow" movie

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic