Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 12:11:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhy experienced game developers goes indie?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Why experienced game developers goes indie?  (Read 6871 times)
Masakari
Level 0

Unknown Robot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2011, 02:57:28 AM »

I would go indie if I could, but then I wouldn't be able to pay rent and I would get deported, and my wife would kill me. Oops. It's a bit depressing to work in video games and yet not be able to afford them. Makes it a lot easier to concentrate on making games.

Where do people get all this money stuff that lets them do things they want to?
Prostitution  Cheesy

Actually, money i've saved over the years, and the occasional freelance gig. Although that just lets me live, I don't have extra to hire people on the side.

justinfic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2011, 09:19:43 AM »

Been saving since 2007. When the money starts to get low, I'll either take contract work or get a simpler non-industry, non-programming job, which would have the advantages of no non-compete clauses and being something completely different to prevent burnout (even burnout caused by working too much on my own projects.)

Prostitution might work. I'll have to look into that  Hand Money Left Kiss Hand Money Right

Twitter | Current Project: Heavy drinking
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2011, 12:47:55 AM »

Always remember that feeling. That thing that made you want to become a game craftsperson. I keep a black portfolio alongside my desk that contains some crudely drawn video game designs a friend and I made when we were 11 years old. Looking at it reminds me of those days of optimism and magic. And I think those feelings are some of the most powerful tools in our toolboxes. They power us to make great things, and guide us to do what's right.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail. These are all good points. That comment just resonated with me.

Friend.  You're not derailing.  This is square on the rail.  No, on second thought this is the rail.

I am basically broke at the moment.  I have a contract job nearing completion that'll pay the rent and groceries for (almost) another two months.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2011, 11:22:49 AM »

Been saving since 2007. When the money starts to get low, I'll either take contract work or get a simpler non-industry, non-programming job, which would have the advantages of no non-compete clauses and being something completely different to prevent burnout (even burnout caused by working too much on my own projects.)

FYI, Non-compete clauses are illegal and unenforcable in California.

@doomlaser, mark johns
eiyukabe
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2011, 05:57:14 PM »

FYI, Non-compete clauses are illegal and unenforcable in California.

There is a bit of California law that lets the employer claim ownership of anything you do at home "related to their business", which I think falls under non-compete. If you are talking about keeping you from getting a job for x months after you quit your current job, I think that is illegal. With that said, I always ignore these clauses because

1: I need a job to pay for the college debt I wracked up learning how to be a wage slave (and for foodstuff, to push off dying as long as I can/feel like)
2: Just because something is in writing doesn't make it right, just because I "agree" to it doesn't mean it's right (unemployment is a form of duress), and I am more interested in what is right than what is law in a failing country
and 3: I don't feel that the need for a job should allow companies to exploit me like that.

And I've heard about store managers in retail having to sign away their rights to things they make at home like software, so I don't buy the "go into another industry if you don't like it" argument. Corporations are sucking up IP in all fields. I just don't respect American law anymore *shrug*. It is demonstrably evil, not as bad as some countries but clearly set up to reward the already rich at our expense.

Anyway, this sort of thing hasn't come up, largely because I haven't made a successful enough game, but if it does (shouldn't with my current contract, but just "if") I just plan to fight it and if I lose in court then I will "break the law" to continue fighting it to the full extent of my abilities (not going to go into what I will do to defend what is right because I don't want it coming back to haunt me, but if you can imagine it I am probably willing to do it). Before it gets to anything desperate like that, I am trying with some other veterans to get things like that changed in the game industry so rich corporate assholes with no concerns over the artform don't keep gobbling up all the IP and power.

I need to stop letting myself get worked up over this stuff  Angry
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, 09:38:41 PM »

I think this video is somehow related.

It explain what bring more productivity to a job that require creativity and cognitive thinking. One of the factor is sef-direct, which I think could be one of the answer to the question of why experienced game developers go indie instead of staying in the business.

eiyukabe
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2011, 09:06:14 PM »

Watched that and another video, that looks like an interesting series. Thanks for sharing!  Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic