Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:06:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSecrets of Grindea (Beta signup started!)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Secrets of Grindea (Beta signup started!)  (Read 77903 times)
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2012, 07:18:16 PM »

Oh man, I love those glass display cases.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »

The graphics are indeed lovely. To me, though, the pumpkin's death animation feels like it lacks weight - the pieces split into smaller chunks just as substitution - there's no 'breaking' going on. Also seems like the pieces could bounce higher to give an extra 'oomph'. Anyway, nice job on the graphics! Absolutely lovely.

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2012, 12:36:27 PM »

We all like flashy things, and there is no better way to start off a fancy boss fight than with a fancy introduction! This week, one of the things we’ve worked on is this flash screen, which will introduce your enemy every time shit is about to hit the fan:

Besides this, there has been some reworking done on the portraits of said boss:

We’ve also been messing around with the idea of changing up how skills work, and after some time in the design dungeon, we’ve decided to give it a shot.

Most skills will now be able to be charged into flashier and more powerful versions by holding down the button. The charge time differs between spells depending on how limiting this extra delay would be for its usability, as well as how powerful the upgrades are. Our main reason for this change is to give players greater variety and involvement in the combat.

Initially, only two charge levels are available, but as you add points in a skill you unlock more charge tiers. Most offensive skills will have five of them!

Below are the animations and effects for the fireball charge, as well as the projectile sprite for level 1-2, 3 and 4:

The fifth level is not yet done, but we promise to crank the fanciness up to max for all top level spells!

Kit630
Haha, thanks man Grin Feels great to hear!
About Kickstarter or Indiegogo. We have thought about it, it just feels weird asking people to pay for something that doesn't actually exist yet. If we're going to set one up, we would like to produce more content so we can show of a proper picture of what we want the final product to be. There's still a ton of features in the game we haven't touched yet, so getting a proper base set up for everything is our main priority right now!

Seasons
Glass displays filled with fancy hats, whats not to like! Grin

SolarLune
Hey man, thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it, I'm learning with each animation so any tips to improve upon them is always welcome! I'll try to oomph it up a bit when I'm done with all the other stuff on my list (it's a damn long list though...)

Ashkin
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2012, 01:06:42 PM »

Oh man, that intro animation. Perfect!
The skill charge, at the point where he releases, needs more 'snap' forward so it looks like he's giving the energy a shove rather than just lazily pushing it along. Also, the fireball looks kind of disjointed, maybe tone-down/remove the dark lines between segments?
Looking good, guys.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2012, 06:43:06 PM »

That Boss intro animation is awesome, love it Kiss

TheApo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2012, 12:39:26 AM »

The intro is really  Shocked WTF great!

Can't wait to see the final result.
I like the idea with Kickstarter or Indiegogo. Do it and take my  Hand Money Right Hand Money Left Hand Money Right
burtonposey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2012, 08:09:03 AM »

Besides this, there has been some reworking done on the portraits of said boss:

Reminds me a lot of the Street Fighter II vs. and game over screens

This is the first time I'd seen your game. It's looks great and I'm definitely looking forward to playing it. It's all very inspiring, even down to the regularity of your updates. It's something to aspire to, Smiley. Take care.

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »

This week we have worked on many different areas of the game! We’re currently trying to tie everything together for our long-awaited beta (sorry about that!), so chances are the coming updates will keep on being little bit all over the place.

What we can show you from the skill area are these two skills:

This is the Earth Spike spell! This is part of an experiment we’re having with targeted spells.

As you charge the spell, you will gain control of a small target circle, and when you release the button the spell will be cast at that location. The circle has a limited range, and cannot pass through walls (although it can pass through small obstacles like trees or rocks).

We wanted to at least try it out, since we felt a new type of spell casting would be awesome for the game’s variety. It actually works pretty well! The challenge comes with trying to balance out the high accuracy.

The new charging system is also shown in the gif! Being a ranged spell with high mobility, the charge time of Earth Spike is pretty high. Level 1 and 2 looks the same, but level 2 will knock enemies up and stun them, opening them up for attack or giving the player time to reposition. Level 3 upgrades all aspects, with more damage, larger area of effect and longer stun. Notice how the rabbit is easily comboed with the mace due to the knockup and stun! Be careful, though, because heavy enemies can’t be knocked up.

This second spell is a typical Speed Up spell, which will increase your attack- and cast speed for a limited time. Great for when you’re in a hurry!

Other than spells we also worked on a feature that I don’t think has been mentioned yet: Cards!

Every enemy you kill will have a low chance of dropping a card like the one above. These cards will each give you a slight passive boost, which means collecting them all would improve your character by quite a bit!

They will also feature a portrait of the enemy that dropped it (pictured above is, as you might have guessed, the Green Slime Card) and will be viewable from the Card Album menu at any time.

Lastly, we have some fresh new portraits added this week:

Ashkin
Thanks man! Yeah, the animation for shooting projectile spells was one of the first animations I did for the game. It probably needs a little facelift, thanks for pointing it out!

Franklins Ghost & TheApo
Thanks dudes! Grin

burtonposey
Haha, Street Fighter II is one of the all time greats so I take that as a big compliment!

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2012, 04:38:56 PM »

gonna be completely honest; this looks rad and all but I think those portraits don't really seem to match the quality of the rest of the game, especially when compared to the excellent animations and such.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2012, 12:11:53 AM »

I'm gonna have to agree.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2012, 06:29:48 AM »

I also agree with Xion...

Master of all trades.
Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2012, 06:35:20 AM »

Meh, I think they look really good. Really Phoenix Wright-esque, actually.  Beer!

As to whether their design fits with the other game graphics, won't be able to tell you until I play it.  Giggle Shrug

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2012, 06:38:16 AM »

I don't think they look bad. They look good. Just not as good as the rest of the art.

You should probably make the rest of the art worse. That would solve the problem.
Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2012, 05:21:54 PM »

You should probably make the rest of the art worse. That would solve the problem.

I second that! A downgrade is in order!  Hand Thumbs Down LeftWell, hello there!Hand Shake Right

Then maybe I won't pour oodles of money into it if they sell it :<  Hand Money Left

Ashkin
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2012, 06:07:59 PM »

I think one of the problems is the number of shades on the face. Take out a few middle tones and it might fit in better with the rest of the art. Also, try messing with the eyes a little, something about their shape is quite strange to me.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2012, 02:41:04 AM »

Just stumbled on this, wow.  This looks amazing, gonna watch this pretty closely!  Great job so far guys.

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2012, 04:57:41 AM »

We've been getting a lot of comments about the portraits lately actually. It's definitely one of things that are still very much a work in progress and we're open for any kind of criticism to help us make them reach the same quality as the rest of our graphics.

More defined criticism would be appreciated as well. "It doesn't look as good" is pretty hard to work with Grin If you guys could pin point what you think makes them drop in quality (like Ahskin did in his post) it would help us a ton! 

Farmergnome
Thanks Dude! I'm personally a big fan of both Under the Garden and RamBros so right back at you!

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2012, 05:02:54 AM »

gonna be completely honest; this looks rad and all but I think those portraits don't really seem to match the quality of the rest of the game, especially when compared to the excellent animations and such.

Yup.

Overall, it looks PRO.
Great graphics & game mechanics.
Also, I cannot see where one tile ends and another begins, so it's another big +.

Say, this:

Is absolutely epic.

2d Animations seem to be on the highest grade here.
Keep going!

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2012, 08:43:09 AM »

I wish I knew why I don't like them as much. I really like the guy with the big hat if that helps.
Fungineers
Level 0

2 person team making HTML5 games

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2012, 09:28:37 AM »

This is awesome! I really like how natural looking your tiles are. They don't look stuck to a grid at all Smiley

I'll have to agree with Xion on the portrait discussion as well, but that's possibly just because I don't like the whole portrait idea in RPGs where you can already see the character.  Tongue Maybe it's just me being weird.

Amazing job anyway, lovely looking, and enjoyable sounding game Grin

Like us on facebook!
Fungineering.ca coming soon.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic