Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 01:00:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMicRogue - New Build - July 11th
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30
Print
Author Topic: MicRogue - New Build - July 11th  (Read 78088 times)
creidieki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 24, 2012, 03:21:53 PM »

Is the version of MicRogue linked in JasonPickering's signature (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=23617.0 ) not the current build?  I've been playing that, but it doesn't seem to match the things they were saying on Roguelike Radio, and looking at it that thread doesn't seem to have been updated since February.  I only found this thread today, but the opening post doesn't have a link to any builds.
creidieki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 24, 2012, 03:37:31 PM »

Okay, playing the http://microgue.blogspot.com/ build, it seems like the music starts a new loop every time you get the gem?  Like, after you bring the gem to the king and go back down the staircase, the music starts playing again in parallel with the current music.  So if you win three times in a row it gets very discordant.
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: June 24, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »

About the enemy movement thing, perhaps you could give the player explanations with images or a little animation about how an enemy moves and his special abilities the first time the players meet this enemy. And these explanations could be stored in some gallery, in case the player need a reminder.
I also like Sleight's idea of having the treasures accumulate in the castle, it would really give the player a sense of achievement. Maybe you could have the castle evolve by gaining levels, with treasures serving as experience. Every time the castle would gain a level, the quests would get harder, and the dungeons deeper.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: June 25, 2012, 07:15:29 AM »

creidieki: Yeah sorry. I really need to get organized with that. I changed my sig to reflect the Microgue blog, which will always have the newest public build. As for the music its a bug i should have fixed in the next build.

tchassin: I plan on doing a small image to show how the enemies move or something so the player will be able to access them when they want. As for the accumulation of items, I dont know. See the question is does the world stay persistant? are you always some random adventurer who is running in grabbing stuff and the castle just accumulates these treasures, meaning the castle is persistent and you are expendable? Should each expendable character be different? or is it just a graphical change?

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #564 on: June 25, 2012, 07:35:58 AM »

Just played the latest build on the blog and noticed a few things. When I came out with the treasure I walked into the castle in front of it rather then through the doorway. Also the transition on completing seems to show something on the right edge for a second.

Games looking good though.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: June 25, 2012, 07:40:46 AM »

Yeah I think all that is fixed, cause that was just a first pass on the intro, but I am completely rewriting the collision engine, so a new build will take a bit.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: June 26, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »

so working on a tileset for a Dojo

and some treasures

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 26, 2012, 04:20:05 PM »

I was just about to say that there wasn't more than bugfixes recently :d
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #568 on: June 27, 2012, 05:00:32 AM »

Will acquiring the random treasure actually impact gameplay? Or just more flavor on the intro screen?

I'll keep my wild assumptions to myself what a new tileset might mean.  Grin

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: June 27, 2012, 05:48:26 AM »

Well That is still up in the air. I have a few ideas, but not sure what will come of them. I am still playing around with the idea of Items/skills. Its a good way to make the player have a different play through, but they need to actually use the items for that to occur. The main problem is that the player doesn't need items to beat the game, so most people do not use them.

One of the ideas I had was that when you picked up the jewel it gave you some type of power there by making your return different, but that didn't make much sense, because it would mean that the last half of a dungeon run would be easier then the first half. I am still stuck with a difficulty option since just adding more guys doesn't automatically make the game harder.

The next idea was to perhaps make the game harder by giving the jewel a "Guardian". a Special Unkillable Enemy that would chase the player back through all 4 floors. This would of course only appear once the player grabs the treasure.

Sleight
« Reply #570 on: June 27, 2012, 07:49:37 AM »

@Jason

are you always some random adventurer who is running in grabbing stuff and the castle just accumulates these treasures, meaning the castle is persistent and you are expendable? Should each expendable character be different?

I really like this idea of yours. Whenever your character dies, he could be replaced by another random adventurer, with a random outfit, hairstyle and special ability.

The next idea was to perhaps make the game harder by giving the jewel a "Guardian". a Special Unkillable Enemy that would chase the player back through all 4 floors. This would of course only appear once the player grabs the treasure.

This would be great, too. Maybe each dungeon type could have its own unique guardian? The cave could have a golem, the forest a troll, the graveyard a vampire, and so on. I imagine that the guardian would be asleep inside the treasure room, but would wake up shortly after you grab the treasure. He’d then chase you like the Dark Lord from your testing builds.   

As for the gameplay idea that I posted last time, I’d like to expand on it a bit.

Let’s say, for example, that you decide to include a total of 20 enemies into the game. These can be ordered by increasing difficulty or behavioural complexity, so that enemy #1 is the rat, #2 is the yeti, #3 is the blob, and so on. Let’s also say that you include a total of 6 dungeon types. These can be ordered by increasing “exoticness” or “coolness”, so that type #1 is the cave, #2 is the forest, #3 is the graveyard, and so on. Finally, let’s say that you include 3 different types of trap, which can likewise be ordered by increasing trickiness or complexity.

Here, then, is how I’d imagine the gameplay to progress:

- When you begin a new save file, the first dungeon that you enter is always a cave (i.e. type #1) and only contains rats (i.e. enemy #1). It also has no traps. This dungeon is obviously very easy to complete, and its purpose is to introduce you to the game’s basic mechanics.

- After you return the treasure to the king, enemy #2 and dungeon type #2 are added to the selection pool. This means that the second dungeon that you enter can be either a cave or a forest, and that it can contain yetis as well as rats.

- The more dungeons you complete, the more the selection pool is increased. Here’s how this might work:

A new enemy is added to the pool after every completion.
A new dungeon type is added after 1, 3, 5, 10 and 15 completions.
A new trap is added after 5, 10 and 15 completions.

(After 20 completions, the king’s treasure pile will have reached its full size and you’ll be able to keep playing just for fun.)

Obviously these are just numbers that I’ve chosen at random. The main point behind all this is that the player’s progress is rewarded by a continuous expansion of the gameplay. I imagine that this would help keep things fresh and exciting throughout the game. Your thoughts? 
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: June 27, 2012, 10:24:03 AM »

A lot of that is kind of what I have planned. In your gameplay breakdown are you thinking that the game resets upon death? or do is the count of wins continuous?

Sleight
« Reply #572 on: June 27, 2012, 02:00:05 PM »

Resetting upon death would be a bit harsh, so I'm thinking that the game would permanently save your number of completions. The player's character, though, would change after every death. Let's say, for example, that you start off with the current character--the guy with the blue outfit and the red beard. If he gets killed, the game will cut back to the castle and show a new, different-looking adventurer approaching the king. I think it would be fun to show that each adventurer is completely expendable--just a tool that the king uses to get rich. Tongue
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: July 02, 2012, 10:37:10 AM »

Hey should have a new build soon. adding in some new enemies and reworked the entire collisions system and fixed all the bugs that cropped up from that.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: July 10, 2012, 05:40:18 PM »

wow, so that took forever to get an update out. Been very busy with the holidays and visiting family so work has been slow, but I finally have a new build. Its at my blog (which I hope to start actually posting on very soon).

My Blog

this one take into account the players win. to reset just hit R and as you play more enemies are added. I actually don't think this is as fun. I kind of like the big anything goes of the older version, where you had no idea what was coming at you. so I might drop it and just give the player a huge amount of content in the beginning

can anyone tell me how stuff works for the binding of issac. Does that game just have a tremendous amount of stuff in the begining? or is their actual progression? aside from like achievements. I always liked the way that game felt with feeling so different. same with the feel of spelunky.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 10, 2012, 05:47:34 PM »

why are we a ninja now.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #576 on: July 10, 2012, 05:51:42 PM »

Sorry should have explained that. To add to the disposable nature of heroes in roguelike style games. I wants to make you a different person after you die. It randomly selects a new hero after you at killed. I also wanted to swap the ninja out for something a little more monstery. The one thing though people really liked the ninja so I figured why not and added that as one  of the player sprites.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 10, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »

then why do we turn back into a dwarf temporarily during the ending scene?

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: July 10, 2012, 06:01:08 PM »

Ah crap, I will fix that right now. you should end as whoever you exit as.

Edit: Fixed for the next build.

Uykered
« Reply #579 on: July 11, 2012, 02:14:36 AM »

Maybe the slimes could change the colour of your movement tile highlight thing from blue to purple so you know its different and not a bug.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic