Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412062 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 24, 2024, 04:40:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Hearts - New Endless mode added in 1.1
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Hearts - New Endless mode added in 1.1  (Read 54203 times)
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 29, 2012, 11:22:54 AM »

Just wanted to say this looks like just the type of game I'd like (except for running on an ipad :/) and returning to level 0 (or rage or whatever you decide to call it) wouldn't throw me off at all
Chris Pavia
« Reply #121 on: February 29, 2012, 11:31:41 AM »

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts dustin! I'm planning on releasing the game on Mac/PC as well after the iPad release (hopefully with updates/fixes/improvements based on player feedback from the iPad version), so you should get to play it at some point.

I should have a gameplay video up a week or 2 after GDC so you all can see it in motion, and I can demonstrate the puzzle mechanics. When typing out the rules it seems a lot more complex than it actually is, so hopefully watching me play will make it click easier.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2012, 11:14:03 PM »

Opinions needed!

I keep going back and forth on what I want to do with the game, especially after seeing all the great stuff people are doing at GDC. I've got 2 directions I'm toying with:
1. The original, rush-style gameplay where the player goes from battle to battle until they die or defeat the final boss (~24 battles).
2. Add an overworld map with sites the player unlocks as they play. Each site is a smaller rush (4-8 battles), winning unlocks more sites along the paths the player can explore. Maybe add some story via talking heads.

My main reasons in favor of the original rush-style:
-Much less time and resources needed, since this version is pretty much complete, just lacking polish and content. Getting it done quicker (months quicker) would prevent me from potentially getting burnt out on the game, and let me move on to one of the other projects I've got burning a hole in my brain.
-The game as-is has an elegant simplicity in that it encapsulates everything I enjoy about RPGs with a twist, which was the game's original intent.
-Each gameplay session is stand alone, so there isn't any knowledge (outside basic gameplay rules) that needs to be kept in the player's head between sessions (good for tablet/mobile games).
-Could have more replayability/sense of skill mastery in that over time the player will get farther and farther into the rush as they get more skilled, until eventually they beat the final boss (hopefully).
-It's already fun! Without the map people have been enjoying the game, including people just walking by while I'm playing between sessions at GDC.

My main reasons in favor of an overworld map with exploration:
-The map would be fun to design/make.
-Players could get a better feel for the world the characters inhabit (don't know if this adds enough value vs creation time tho)
-The single-session gameplay of rush-style that works well on mobile may not be as engaging on Mac/PC.

Currently I'm kind of leaning toward the first one. I feel like getting the game out there sooner might benefit me more with subsequent projects. Maybe meet people who enjoy the style of games I like that I can collaborate with to make bigger games in the future.

I'm interested in hearing other people's thoughts on this, but remember that the business side of things is just as important as the creative side (to me). Thanks for reading!
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2012, 11:55:17 PM »

I would suggest going the first route. Since you are close to finishing, you can release the game on flash/iOS/PC or what have you. Once the game is out, people will see it and play it, and you can gauge what the reception is. If enough people like it to warrant it, you can then make a sequel with the world map and story etc, if you feel like it. If interest isn't high enough or you feel you're done with the game, you can move on to another project, and maybe revisit the second version later on when you're stuck for a project to work on.

That would be my 2c.

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Chris Pavia
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2012, 02:58:09 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, I agree with your point about getting it out there to gauge peoples reactions.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:04:39 AM by Chris Pavia » Logged
Chris Pavia
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2012, 02:54:01 PM »

I got Terry Cavanaugh to play the game today Smiley
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2012, 02:00:39 PM »

I'm also in favor of option 1 (although not because option 2 sounds unfun I'd just rather you put efforts into the unique aspect of the game rather then into something that most games have) as long as you can make each playthrough different enough.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »

I'd just rather you put efforts into the unique aspect of the game rather then into something that most games have

Great point, I think I'm going to use that line whenever someone asks me why there isn't an explicit story in the game.

In other news, I've been at GDC for the past week and I have some exciting news in regards to Dungeon Hearts, but I'm waiting on the green light to talk about it, so I'll just tease you all with that for now Smiley

I'm hoping to take some video of the game this weekend, but I'm sure I'll have a huge backlog of work at my day job since I've been gone a week, so we'll see how that impacts things.
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2012, 07:12:28 AM »

I got to play it a bit during the Indie Art Jam, and it is  Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2012, 11:13:52 AM »

...video of the game...

Huzzah!
EdgeOfProphecy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »

This was pretty rad when I played it at GDC.

If it were me, I'd stick with focusing on the Rush mode.  That's the real meat of the game to me, and while an overworld would be cool, it's really just icing on the cake.  Definitely try to keep the scope reasonable for your own sanity, and pour your efforts into polishing the core of the game.

You can always add in an overworld in a second version/DLC of the game if it sells enough to merit further development (or if you just feel like it).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:05:12 PM by EdgeOfProphecy » Logged
Chris Pavia
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2012, 12:17:35 PM »

Thanks for the compliments you guys! I was great having everyone playing it and getting so much valuable feedback.

Oh, and I've decided I'm definitely sticking with the rush-mode focus. I want to try my hand at a more story-centric game at some point, but I'd rather build a game around that premise and infuse it into the gameplay instead of tacking it on.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2012, 07:30:41 PM »

Okay, here's some

!

The quality isn't the best, I don't have much experience doing this. For this one I really wanted to show the touch interaction, but maybe for the next ones I'll just record straight off my Mac. Let me know what you think!
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2012, 09:18:44 PM »

Game is looking really great, nice to see it in motion after seeing the images for so long. Animation is even better then I expected and I really like the gameplay, looks like it would take some getting used to but would be lots of fun to play  Smiley

Chris Pavia
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2012, 09:25:24 PM »

People I've watched play it catch on quicker than I thought they would. You don't even need to worry about the more complex stuff (canceling attacks, chaining) for the first few battles. People seem to spend the first battle or two just making the strike tokens and immediately using them. Then by the third battle they're comfortable enough to start building up chains. Canceling enemy attacks used to be a bit more complex, but I streamlined it recently.

Thanks for checking it out!
Chris Pavia
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »

Forgot to mention that I got PostPre from the forums working on one of the unlockable soundtracks for the game.
Sam English
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2012, 03:38:10 PM »

Forgot to mention that I got PostPre from the forums working on one of the unlockable soundtracks for the game.

Kiss Hand Metal Right Yusss!
Chris Pavia
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »

Progress update!

I'm working primarily on the enemies now, trying to get them all modeled, textured, and ready for animation. Here's a shot of a few characters in the works:

There are a few others in progress as well. In fact, there are only 2 enemies that haven't been started at all. When I tallied them up last night I thought it was going to be a lot more than that, so I was happily surprised.

On the music front, here's a rad boss track from Sam English - Troublesome Foe

I'm aiming to have all the remaining enemies modeled by the end of next week, then start on unwrapping and texturing.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2012, 09:58:08 AM »

That music is perfect!
And has a hint of gentleman in it Gentleman
Chris Pavia
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2012, 08:44:01 AM »

That music is perfect!
And has a hint of gentleman in it Gentleman

Haha yeah, there's a bit of harpsichord (or something similar) buried in there Smiley

In other music news, I've got some tracks in from the chip tune version and the hip-hop (more chip-hop really) version. I'm hoping to get the first metal track in this week or next.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic