Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411885 Posts in 69426 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: szálamireaktor

June 06, 2024, 09:38:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsValchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Valchion - 3D GBC-Styled Zelda-like - Win / Mac / Linux Demo #2  (Read 95095 times)
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2012, 11:47:48 PM »

1. The ground tile could most definitely use some work - maybe I'll work on that soon.
2. The text is jarring how? Too large and pixelly? I thought that it would make sense that dialog is in caps, but maybe everything should be displayed normally.
3. Simply standing there will get you killed. Rolling helps, and strafing helps, as well. It's really easy to take enemies down with the targeting system - I thought they were too easy!
4. Not every path is finished yet, but everywhere that has a path leading off is an entrance or exit. Did you ever see somewhere that looked like an exit but wasn't one?
5. Yeah, I haven't implemented everything yet - getting caught under the door will kill you instantly (or at least, that's my idea for it).

Thanks a lot for your feedback and for playing it! Smiley

2. I edited in that the font seemed a lot different than the one in the screenshots. Maybe I don't have the font or something similar is at play?

3. Well, I found myself losing health more when rolling due to having to re-position myself and readjust my aim, giving them time to shoot me while I was doing so (since they don't ever stop shooting), in comparison to just standing there and shooting them outright.

And oh, wow, don't know how I missed the ability to strafe. Yeah, that would have helped a lot, heh.

4. A few times. Most noticeable was the staircase that lead to a dead end.

5. Sounds good. Getting stuck was just kind of aggravating. >.>

Oh, I also edited in something about the interface.

And no problem. Smiley

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2012, 11:50:53 PM »

Wait, I think I packed the font in... Odd. Gimme a sec...

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2012, 11:56:59 PM »

Yeah, I found "gamefont.ttf" in there. Was I supposed to install it? EDIT: Nevermind, installing it did nothing.

Otherwise, here's the pic of what I'm getting (just the interface but the rest is the same):

Oh, also, there doesn't seem to be any real indication that you're getting hit other than health dropping?

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2012, 12:03:58 AM »

No, no - turned out to totally be my fault. Sorry about that. It's kinda difficult to test and debug stuff on your development machine - absolute paths don't make themselves apparent... Anyway, I think I fixed it.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2012, 12:04:50 AM »

No, no - turned out to totally be my fault. Sorry about that. It's kinda difficult to test and debug stuff on your development machine - absolute paths don't make themselves apparent... Anyway, I think I fixed it.
No problem. Glad you got it fixed. Smiley

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: May 06, 2012, 12:25:32 AM »

looks like its finally time to play *puts on sunglasses* Soldier of, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
IndieGamesDig
Level 0

asdfjkl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: May 06, 2012, 05:30:21 PM »

It seemed pretty cool. I played three times but never finished...got stuck in the building with the jump boots twice: fell through the floor once trying to get the heart container, then got stuck in a door, and fell through the floor in the second or third room to the right in the sewer area. I know it's a very early build and all, so i'm not criticizing, just telling you so know. Also, it'd be cool if you could fast forward or skip cutscenes.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2012, 05:39:07 PM »

Whoa, whoa, whoa - those are some major bugs! You fell through the floor exactly where with the heart container area? The falling blocks will kill you - I just haven't gotten around to coding that in yet. Which room in the sewer area did you fall through, by the way? The waterfall area, or the separate room?

Thanks a lot for playing and telling me, though.

EDIT: And I probably will make something to skip cutscenes - maybe a special key combo.

EDIT 2: Next up is probably going to be to fix the bugs in the demo (if I can find them all! :S), make a cutscene skipping key-combo, and implement a true title screen and save points...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:59:15 PM by SolarLune » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2012, 10:05:42 PM »

cool, a demo! overall i think its great and you could really craft a great little cyberpunk/zelda-like or whatever you wanna label it. I think you should push the Blender engine as far as you can, e.g., adding reflections in pools of water, etc...

Here's some naive I've-played-it-for-about-5-minutes comments for you to leave or take Tongue

the good
- looks fantastic (bombs yay)
- sounds great, music's a little inconsistent but one track gave a great zelda vibe
- pan, cutscenes add depth (but why does the guys head look different?)
- love the small 3d rooms, like the one with the stairs. reminds me of 'solstice' for some reason -- moar!

the bad
- gui is not great (white bar in mostly dark levels? gah!)
- guys move too quickly, hard to aim at dudes.. (as opposed to say zelda where everyone moves slower (i think?!))
- need a fullscreen mode
- need to preserve aspect ratio on window resize
- building appearance doesn't quite match the ground and objects
- no shadow on slopes
- the textures "flash" when panning -- this seems to be caused by the filtering you've got. a hard problem to maintain pixel perfect textures but let them remain smooth when scrolling ... Shocked
- water needs a bit of work (where's the reflections?!)
- the scene transition is a bit lame and annoying

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: May 06, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »

Games coming along well and nice to be able to try it after having been following it for awhile. Agree with most people's suggestions and also had the same issue as IndieGamesDig in that in the boots screen, when I tried to jump to the heart container I fell through the floor and just kept falling.

Gameplay is coming along nicely though and didn't find much of an issue with the bad guys. I just used the target feature and they didn't pose to much trouble.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: May 06, 2012, 10:30:30 PM »

- gui is not great (white bar in mostly dark levels? gah!)
- guys move too quickly, hard to aim at dudes.. (as opposed to say zelda where everyone moves slower (i think?!))
- need a fullscreen mode
- need to preserve aspect ratio on window resize
- building appearance doesn't quite match the ground and objects
- no shadow on slopes
- the textures "flash" when panning -- this seems to be caused by the filtering you've got. a hard problem to maintain pixel perfect textures but let them remain smooth when scrolling ... Shocked
- water needs a bit of work (where's the reflections?!)

- Hm. I'll have to think about the GUI coloring. I don't want to just add a new color for no reason, but I might have to to get a nice setup... Wait, I think I might have a better setup idea already.
- I kind of like the fast-paced action. Maybe I'll slow everyone down a bit.
- I'll see about adding in full-screen mode.
- Great idea to preserve the aspect ratio in windowed mode - I should be able to do that fairly easily.
- What do you mean by the buildings' appearance not matching the objects? Their colors?
- Yeah, the shadow code is a bit buggy; still haven't gotten around to fixing it.
- Yeah, I'm not sure how I can fix that. Was it the light spots in the sewers, or particular objects?
- Forgot about reflections in the water - not sure if I'll be able to do that, but I'll see about it.

- the scene transition is a bit lame and annoying

Droop

LOL - I think you're right. I don't really like them either. I think I've got a better idea of how it should transition. Wink

@Franklins Ghost - I think I totally know which area you fell in - was it behind a wall near the rising block?

Thanks for your feedback, everybody. There's certainly a lot to do!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:41:27 PM by SolarLune » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: May 06, 2012, 10:53:46 PM »

If you want fast-paced action then by all means keep it in Smiley On second thought, it wasn't difficult but I didn't like it. Then again, I'm a slow old man who can't pass level 3 of Hydorah. :/

I think having black outlines on the objects but not on the buildings causes the dissonance -- i dunno ..

The texturing issues were mainly visible in the first building you enter, when you walk up the ramp. Look at the back wall texture and see how it snaps the texture to the pixels.. (I guess it's using nearest neighbour filtering?) I suppose a better filtering (for the buildings) might alleviate this?

Lol, the aspect ratio is something I have to check when a game has a resize-able window. I marked computer graphics assignments for a few years and preserving aspect ratio would always be worth 1 mark. Wink

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: May 06, 2012, 11:16:01 PM »

It happened when I jumped from this top over to the right and then moved around further. I'd fall through the ground and keep going.

Also just had an issue where my guy got stuck shooting only left and right. Went back and forward a screen and then was able to shoot again. Not sure why that occurred.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2012, 12:09:59 AM »

@eigenbom - Hm. I'll have to think about the buildings and how to draw them so that they don't look off as much. I think it might have to do with my palette - I was eye-balling the colors when I first started the project, but it can't hurt to have an official palette.

@Franklins Ghost - That's what I thought. I just fixed that. As for the shooting problem, I can only guess that the issue is because of the strafing system that I have - for a little bit of time after you let go of shoot, you'll face the same direction. If it was more time than just a few seconds, though, then it wasn't intentional - I'll have to see about that...

rrTea
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2012, 05:04:14 AM »

I fell through the floor in the sewers section (the complex where you end up in after entering the tunnel one up and third right from the beginning, where you can enter only if you have boots equipped), went in, turned left and in the second (?) room started jumping around. I think the hole is in one of the corners of the room.

The screen went black, after a while the character's colours started blinking so I just exited.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2012, 06:45:08 AM »

You mean you jumped the grates that were supposed to be impassable? Cheesy Well, I just fixed that. Thanks for telling me!

One thing that I don't want to have (that I probably DEFINITELY should have) is invisible walls - otherwise, this is going to be difficult. You shouldn't ever go through the walls or ground, but invisible walls would really help to make sure that that doesn't happen...

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2012, 08:58:34 AM »

good game, I could only play up until I got the jump boots though because my b key is broken and your game will not let me use the on screen keyboard, so I might not of found the best bits. The game is fun and is an enjoyable little rouge like thing, but there are some things which are bad. One is that after you kill some guards and exit a room when you re-enter it, they reappear. Number two is that the way you select your secondary weapon is weird, there should be a key short-cut, I apologize if there is. There as least could be an information page. Overall it was fun, needs some work though Smiley

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2012, 03:41:27 PM »

Thanks for playing.

1) My game doesn't use the B-key - just the arrow keys, X, and C. :I

2) I think the guards should respawn. A major point of the game will be backtracking, like many good Zelda types of games, so it would be really boring if guards attacked you only once. I think that monsters respawn in Zelda, as well, so...

3) I don't really see how selecting a secondary weapon's weird - you open the pause menu, go into Equipment, highlight a weapon with the cursor, then press the secondary weapon button (C). Do you mean it's weird to use a secondary weapon? You just press the secondary weapon button. (Did I not explain stuff enough?)

EDIT: I explain the controls a bit in the blog post. Did you read it? Smiley

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2012, 08:25:53 AM »

I think I might of messed up your file, I unzipped it with win rar Embarrassed

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2012, 09:08:24 AM »

Heh, I mentioned that it needs 7-zip to unzip it. I'm not sure if WinRAR would unzip a .7z file.

Also, this was just an early demo - it's not nearly the whole game (there will be a readme / tutorial / help page, etc.). There'll be a lot more in the next one. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic