Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411914 Posts in 69430 Topics- by 58477 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 10, 2024, 09:53:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallsmall flash game : Block+
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: small flash game : Block+  (Read 1235 times)
rkn14
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »

Hello,

I'm happy to invite you to play my first little flash game.
It's a brick game, a mix of Tetris and Columns.

You can play it as a facebook app :
http://apps.facebook.com/rkn_games_block
Or on the web :
http://rkn14.com/games/block+/

I will certainly work on a Android/IOs version in the near future.

Comments are welcome !

RKN14

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 07:40:14 PM »

Tried this, some thoughts.

The style (visuals, music) are fantastic. I really really like the backgruond song. It might be nice if there were SOME visual variance (backgrounds?) as the game progressed to give you a sense you're doing something, and title screen music would probably help, something to adjust my speakers to.

The process of clearing stuff out color by color feels very satisfying. The slide-only mechanic would make it very well suited to smartphones.

Overall the game feels kind of easy. There never feels like much of a threat I am going to lose or fear that if I place blocks carelessly I will get into a situation I can't get out of again. I don't feel like I'm being given a lot of incentive to try harder or a clear idea of what I'm aiming for-- I get the "gold medals" if I hit a target time, but I'm not told ahead of time what that target time is so I can't really plan to hit it. I completed almost every level in about minute until I got to the 4 color 5 line level, which took me a long time and made me think a bit more, but wasn't really much "harder". I had fun playing this at first but after awhile it started to feel from level to level like I was sitting around waiting for the game to start getting interesting ("maybe it's different starting with the next level?").

I feel like this would be helped if there were something like a "puzzle mode"-- i.e. instead of just the simple random level, clear everything out, maybe you're given a scenario consisting of hand-arranged blocks and challenged to clear it in the smallest number of moves. In this case you'd have to actually think about what you're doing and you couldn't just play lazily and mechanically. (It also occurs to me that since you are doing this on facebook, you could maybe make an interesting head to head vs mode.)

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:40:24 PM »

I found this interesting; it was fun to play, and very smooth.  I agree with mcc, though - it definitely needs some new element to add difficulty apart from increasing the number of lines, and timing the player.

rkn14
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 11:11:32 AM »

Hi !

Sorry for the late answer. I was busy, working on some other projects...

Thanks you mcc and Theta for your thoughts. It's really encouraging !
There are things very interesting that i didn't wonder before.
I take some notes, for Block+ or for my next games too.

Greg

rkn14
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 12:55:32 AM »

Hello,

I have published 1.1 version of Block+.   Well, hello there!
this is what has changed :
- new design
- new sounds
- keyboard controls
- now it's possible to enter a nickname wthout logging

It's available today on newgrounds.com
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/588597

Votes are really welcome  Beer!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic