Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 05:59:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Your favorite scripting language
Poll
Question: What's your favorite scripting language to use in your games?
Python - 14 (28.6%)
Ruby - 5 (10.2%)
Lua - 22 (44.9%)
JavaScript (V8) - 7 (14.3%)
AngelScript - 1 (2%)
ChaiScript - 0 (0%)
Falcon - 0 (0%)
GameMonkey - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Your favorite scripting language  (Read 4329 times)
DelishusCake
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:25:04 PM »

Greetings, gentlemen (and ladies) Gentleman,
I must admit, I love scripting languages. They've saved me from exceptionally long compile times on numerous occasions. But which is best in your opinion? This can be based on anything: how easy it is to implement, execution speed, API, whatever. Lua's got my vote; the language is damn beautiful, and its super easy to extend.
Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »

TBH I prefer good 'ole C++ code to scripting whenever possible, but that said I do think lua is a pretty nifty scripting language.  That said, I find it get rather cumbersome in large projects that rely too much on scripting.
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:24:45 AM »

I love Ruby because it's really really easy to get things done. It just feel right for me, though I hate it how it handle text encoding as well as its horrendous speed.

Too bad it's like one of the most difficult language to embed. I hope they fix this in Ruby 2.0 so Ruby can gain more love  Beg

Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:16:29 AM »

I used to program in perl a lot. But not for games.
Unfortunately perl has too big redistributable and too complex mod api to be used for games.
(And perl5 is definitely not fastest of scripting languages).
As I was unhappy with existing scripting languages I decided to create my own Smiley
Working name is 'zorro'. It is kind of falconish/rubish/pythonish with speed of lua.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:26:05 AM »

I know only Python so it has to be it but it's not really suited to embedding. It's IMO better for completely writing the game in it using Pygame or Panda or something.

By the way, you should add AngelScript, ChaiScript, Falcon and GameMonkey. They are really much more suitable for embedding in C++ than Python, Ruby or JS.
DelishusCake
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 05:31:30 AM »

By the way, you should add AngelScript, ChaiScript, Falcon and GameMonkey. They are really much more suitable for embedding in C++ than Python, Ruby or JS.
Thanks, never even heard of those languages! Also, added 'em to the poll.
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 05:41:55 AM »

The only scripting language I care for is bash.

What would John Carmack do?
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 06:10:02 AM »

Also, it would be nice if you could reset the poll, as the voters cannot change their vote. Or set the poll so that you can change your vote.
brettchalupa
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 07:46:33 AM »

I've worked extensively with Ruby, Python, and Lua. I really like them all, but I definitely prefer Ruby. To me, it's the most readable and makes the most sense.

I think either of those three quite good, though. I spent time doing Rails and Django work with Ruby and Python, and I've used Lua for Love and Codify (an iPad app that lets you script games in Lua). I enjoyed working with all of them.

If I had to suggest to someone who wants to get into to programming or who is younger, I would definitely suggest Ruby.
Nix
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 08:18:08 AM »

I love Lua. It's more like a language framework than an actual language -- you can customize it to behave pretty much whichever way you want.
Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 08:58:53 AM »

Squirrel
EdgeOfProphecy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 02:36:22 PM »

I've never used Lua, so I'll go with Python.  I am highly curious about Lua and can't wait for the opportunity to sink my teeth into it.
Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 07:46:18 AM »

I have the most experience with and love for UnrealScript due to it's C++/Java style, but that's a little proprietary Wink

I'll have to go with AngelScript as it is the most C-like language on the list, I believe.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 10:32:48 AM »

1. Are you talking about scripting language for embedding in games, or not?
2. If you answer YES to 1, I can't give a global answer because it depends on the game project.

Nix
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 11:07:02 AM »

Your favorite, not the best. And if you can't answer that you are a robot.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 11:31:17 AM »

No, I'm a pragmatic programmer. They don't have at all the same benefit/cost so I can't use some in some projects while I can't use others in some other. That include both technical constraints and syntactic complexity.

If you're not talking about embedding, then I can not take account of all that and choose something that I "like" (that said I have no preference). If not, your question is ill-formed.

Nix
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 11:56:04 AM »

Let me be pragmatic.

LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »

I'm a big Python fan, but I've always wondered why LUA is so famous. I may give it a try...

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic