Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:39:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1447242 times)
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2012, 07:39:24 AM »

Great news, keep it up!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 15, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »

Hey people! A gameplay video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV7HNKWeHVQ&feature=youtu.be
Tiago_BinaryPig
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »

Love the fluidity of the characters. Really interesting technology.
The mood reminds me of abe's oddysee. Amazing man!

Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2012, 02:13:10 PM »

wow nice video! they truly look like little mice trying to survive- I can almost sense their feelings..

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: September 15, 2012, 05:39:17 PM »

My girlfriend was watching the gameplay video and MAN does it look good fullscreen on the iPad! Just sayin'.

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: September 15, 2012, 05:58:51 PM »

Very interesting! I really adore the climbing mechanics/animation, specifically. Show us mooooore

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: September 16, 2012, 03:22:55 AM »

That new video is awesome Kiss

Not on the forums much anymore because of new job but always like checking in and seeing how this is going. Definitely game I'm most interested in on the forums. It's looking amazing and love the world you've been building. The sounds also go really well with the visuals.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2012, 05:41:08 AM »

Chiming in with some new Rain World tunes! They'll make more sense in context, but never hurts to show some WIP  Toast Right

A break-centric fidget piece for a mid-difficulty level hunt:
http://soundcloud.com/james_primate/rain-world-sketch-6d

A more "positive" emotive tune for a near-end level hunt:
http://soundcloud.com/james_primate/rain-world-sketch-4

i really love working on this game!

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 23, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »

Update 88
Working a lot lately, and what I've been doing is mostly level layouts for the world mode, which is why I haven't posted anything in a while. Still, there's slow but steady progress.

I have a world map which I think is working decently. Some of the levels on the map are more or less decided how they're going to look, while some are not started on yet.

For the first time in rain world history my work is more about creating content than about making the engine run, which feels weird. Still, it's a good thing, because it means we're actually getting there, and that I might be able to estimate how long this is going to take some time soon.

Then again... I've made the estimation that the game will be out in "about a month" for five months now, so you never know. Still, I've gotten much, much further now than five months ago!
Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: September 23, 2012, 10:58:55 AM »

Wasn't really expecting the breaks I must say! Will need to hear that implemented in the game I think Wink

Love the other piece though, really nice. Great melodies, nicely atmospheric, and the kick sound is great. Dig it.

Overpass
Devlog
A hot air balloon exploration game.
Absurdist
Level 0

Waiting for VBLANK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: September 23, 2012, 03:32:26 PM »

I absolutely love the DnB track. You've got an awesome visual and audial style, keep it up!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2012, 12:41:18 PM »

Update 89
Did a little work on the yellow lizards, the ones working in teams. They actually work now, and do a little bit of surrounding the player.

I also made lizards able to see a thrown object (rock or spear) and calculate from where it might have been thrown. The calculation isn't perfect, so it's possible to fool them by throwing a rock in front of their faces and hope that they will go looking for you somewhere behind where you were actually at while throwing.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2012, 02:46:05 AM »

Update 90
Made the lizards able to pick up objects. Depending on color and mood they might pick up spears, or in some cases a rock, and dispose of them either by carrying them back to their holes or by dropping them out of the level.

The spears are a very real threat to the lizards, and it would be stupid of them to not do anything.

The next thing I need to do is make the lizards respond AI-wise to a player holding a spear, but I'm not sure how to do this. If all the lizards flee as soon as they see you picking a spear up a spear will be pretty much an infinite invincibility power-up, as you would never have to actually use it. On the other hand, as it stands the lizards just run straight at you when holding a huge thing that should be easily visible and that can neutralize most of them in one blow. They will have to still attack, but in a more sneaky manner. We'll see what I come up with.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2012, 11:10:53 AM »

Update 91
The more intelligent lizards now act more carefully around a player with a spear.

The solution I found was that a spear carrying player is attacked from above rather than from the side. Instead of climbing straight at you the lizard will climb upwards until it's in a suitable position above you, from where it will attack.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »

Update 92
A player isn't instantly dead once caught by a lizard any more, but can be alive a little while when carried. This means that if two players are co-operating you can save your friend from the gap of a lizard with a rock (or a carefully aimed spear).

Also did a little graphical work.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2012, 01:53:04 PM »

Update 92
A player isn't instantly dead once caught by a lizard any more, but can be alive a little while when carried. This means that if two players are co-operating you can save your friend from the gap of a lizard with a rock (or a carefully aimed spear).

And if it's not so carefully aimed, it's a quick less-painful finish for your friend?

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: September 27, 2012, 02:16:25 PM »

WOW, that sounds brutal!

which makes sense because this game is brutal.

Evil

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: September 27, 2012, 07:25:26 PM »

Update 92

And if it's not so carefully aimed, it's a quick less-painful finish for your friend?

Haha, that'd be hilarious if the co-op player's job is to finish the player off faster so the player can save more points.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2012, 09:40:10 AM »

Haha yeah, it's pretty brutal!

Update 93
Finally got around to working on some art today, which enabled me to send two "final" levels (there's always more changes to be done) to James, so he can start getting some feel for what this game will look like.

Made it so that dead lizards fall through platform type terrain, sometimes the corpses would end up with their torso on a platform and their hips below it and get stuck in a vibrating motion, now they just fall straight through to the ground.
felipezille
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2012, 04:23:49 PM »

Dude I LVOE your game, i LVOE it Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic