Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411909 Posts in 69429 Topics- by 58477 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 10, 2024, 01:21:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1470151 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: June 18, 2015, 11:04:06 AM »

Not unreasonable to call it a spider if one hasn't read here that it is actually something as specific as a "lantern mouse" when it acts like a spider and the graphics are pretty simple for it. :p

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3981 on: June 18, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »

sorry, neither of us are there so we dont even know! there is supposed to be some sort of gamespot stream preview today too, but i dont have links for it yet Tongue
Here it is
Gamespot preview

Was he making some of the stuff up? I don't remember reading anything about breeding in this thread (although that would be totally rad to have).

And he killed lantern mouse and called it a spider. Sad

LOL, probably yes to both *sigh*. Or rather probably more a case of me briefly describing things on a noisy Skype call a few days, and then having a person need to fill 10 minutes of time live on air without much preparation. It's hard enough to do when you've been developing the game for 4 years! Certainly not happy with it, but at the same time it's not entirely unexpected either. The game is huge and unwieldy, so this is what we get for not presenting it ourselves this time. Anyway, a good lesson to learn. It won't happen again!

adge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: June 18, 2015, 01:18:51 PM »

The waves don't look very amazing at this point, a bit too regular and machine-like. I think that some light randomization might help a lot.

If there's anything you can do to make it look like the waves are breaking, that would help a great deal. Maybe have the amplitude and wave-width vary from left to right (or whichever direction the "shore" is), so you get a wide, flat wave that conracts and grows taller, peaking in a more sharply-pointed wave with frothy particles?
Also in that GIF, the water is just kind of bobbing to and fro, while waves would move towards the coast, and break in that direction, and then flow back out in a somewhat rhythmic pattern

That would be so cool! Would absolutely boost the immersion!

Btw what happened to parallax scrolling? Is it completely dead now?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:20:27 PM by adge » Logged
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3983 on: June 18, 2015, 03:21:21 PM »

I'm going to assume that since there's going to be an entire water-focused region, you guys probably have some ideas for aquatic life beyond just leeches...

Indeed! Joar has some really cool stuff cooking, so I won't spoil it. High expectations for this region!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3984 on: June 18, 2015, 03:38:35 PM »

I'm going to assume that since there's going to be an entire water-focused region, you guys probably have some ideas for aquatic life beyond just leeches...

Indeed! Joar has some really cool stuff cooking, so I won't spoil it. High expectations for this region!
Secrets things in the dark and in the water...man, I thought the ecosystem was already crazy before

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3985 on: June 18, 2015, 03:59:15 PM »

oh, yeah secrets for sure, but dont worry he'll definitely be showing off some of the fun stuff here too. i just meant i didnt want to steal his thunder for when he post progress some fishy creature progress in the next day or so :D

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: June 19, 2015, 02:26:58 AM »

Do look into prehistoric life to find the really creepy critters of the seas. Spend an hour just watching an entry-level documentary on YouTube or something and then read up on the cooler things introduced to you by it. C;

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: June 19, 2015, 06:02:38 AM »

I always find the depths of the ocean to be so creepy. The further you go down, the darker it gets, and the bigger everything seems to be haha. It would be cool if there was a huge walking sea creature that would randomly show up and try to reach for you. The feaaars.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3988 on: June 19, 2015, 06:14:13 AM »

I always find the depths of the ocean to be so creepy. The further you go down, the darker it gets, and the bigger everything seems to be haha. It would be cool if there was a huge walking sea creature that would randomly show up and try to reach for you. The feaaars.

Deep sea creatures are so cool

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3989 on: June 19, 2015, 01:26:04 PM »

ewwwwwwww these are all really good suggestions. nothing elicits that surge of primal fear like large weird things moving around underwater  Waaagh!

"RUN, SLUGCAT! RUN AS FAST AS YOUR SLITHERY, FURRY SLUG BODY WILL TAKE YOU!"
 http://killscreendaily.com/articles/latest-gifs-adorable-rain-world-confirm-there-death-rain/

im super excited that this little update is getting so much attention. when youre in the trenches its pretty hard to see how much progress is being made, but the reaction to this update and vid has been so encouraging. its just what we needed as we head into this next grind  Toast Right

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #3990 on: June 19, 2015, 01:39:40 PM »

Congrats on all the great coverage you guys are getting from this last update. Can't say I'm too surprised.

It's just a matter of time before this really takes off, you're going to get a LOT of coverage before this is all said and done.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3991 on: June 19, 2015, 03:18:10 PM »

Congrats on all the great coverage you guys are getting from this last update. Can't say I'm too surprised.

It's just a matter of time before this really takes off, you're going to get a LOT of coverage before this is all said and done.
Let's not forget that Fumito Ueda said he loves Rain World for its tech and design and is looking forward to playing it. That's like the ultimate praise right there

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3992 on: June 19, 2015, 09:49:44 PM »

That sea creature idea seems like nightmare fuel... now I'm even more excited to suck at this game! <3

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: June 20, 2015, 09:04:45 AM »

Let's not forget that Fumito Ueda said he loves Rain World for its tech and design and is looking forward to playing it. That's like the ultimate praise right there
The fact that the Gamespot video says this is "from Adult Swim Games" is pretty depressing and quite rude tho.

Because you guys didn't merge with Adult Swim, right?

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3994 on: June 20, 2015, 09:20:34 AM »

The fact that the Gamespot video says this is "from Adult Swim Games" is pretty depressing and quite rude tho.

Adult Swim is publishing the game and the current build was playable at the Adult Swim's E3 booth

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: June 20, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »

Update 439

I'm working on a new creature, a fish! Not a backer creature this time, but as none of the backer creatures were aquatic we felt we really needed to go outside the list with this one. It's a quick swimmer and it hunts by bumping into its prey knocking the air out of its lungs and keeping it below the surface until it drowns. You will be able to grab it and use it similarly to the cicada and lantern mouse, I'll show you some gifs once I have a little bit of skin going for it.

Aside from that I started on a fog shader for the new region:

It's quite tricky because I want to create the impression of depth, while at the same time keeping the color count (or the perceived color count) somewhat under control. Still needs a bit of tuning for sure!
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3996 on: June 20, 2015, 12:10:50 PM »

Some kind of dithering (if possible) might help?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: June 20, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »

Update 439

I'm working on a new creature, a fish! Not a backer creature this time, but as none of the backer creatures were aquatic we felt we really needed to go outside the list with this one. It's a quick swimmer and it hunts by bumping into its prey knocking the air out of its lungs and keeping it below the surface until it drowns. You will be able to grab it and use it similarly to the cicada and lantern mouse, I'll show you some gifs once I have a little bit of skin going for it.

Aside from that I started on a fog shader for the new region:

It's quite tricky because I want to create the impression of depth, while at the same time keeping the color count (or the perceived color count) somewhat under control. Still needs a bit of tuning for sure!
To quote a great game commentator, Keralis: "That. Is. Amazeballs" :D

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: June 20, 2015, 01:26:01 PM »

Adult Swim is publishing the game and the current build was playable at the Adult Swim's E3 booth
I know. But how does that justify saying "game from Adult Swim" without mentioning the people who are actually making the game? Really lousy.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3999 on: June 20, 2015, 05:21:20 PM »

I know. But how does that justify saying "game from Adult Swim" without mentioning the people who are actually making the game? Really lousy.
Well to be fair, Sony was presenting its indie games as from Devolver without mentioning the actual devs. For example, the devs of Eitr are on TIG here. Isn't that kind of expected once a publisher picks up a game?
Personally, I don't think it's an issue since the presenter only had a limited amount of time during that the Gamestop preview to show off and talk about the game.

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic